AARP gift cards

I have read online that cruisers were having trouble applying digital aarp gift cards while onboard. I was wondering what your experiences have been recently. 

1 hour ago, pensh said:

I have read online that cruisers were having trouble applying digital aarp gift cards while onboard. I was wondering what your experiences have been recently. 

AARP gift cards are very restrictive.  Basically they are only good to add to your account after you make your deposit. Using them after you board would be almost impossible.

• Like 2

I looked into these AARP "Gift Cards". There were so many terms and stipulations on using these it wasn't worth my time trying to save $50-$100. These gift cards can only be used for payment for a new booking through RCL. Cut-n-pasted:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

GIFT DEVICES MUST BE REDEEMED DIRECTLY THROUGH ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL® for the U.S. dollar value shown on the face of the Gift Device.

1. Certificate may be used only as a form of payment toward a new reservation made directly with Royal Caribbean International. After the gift certificate has been applied to a new reservation, the reservation may be transferred to a travel agency.
  2. Certificate value may only be applied toward the cruise fare for Royal Caribbean International sailings quoted in USD and cannot be used toward payment of the required initial deposit. The initial deposit must be paid in USD (by cash or credit card) at the time of booking.
  3. Certificate may not be split between multiple reservations.
  4. Certificate may not be partially redeemed.
  5. And they keep going on from here...

Glad you got a reply....I had asked for input but got none. I heard of people using it on board but am not willing to risk it.  ....I did buy s9me for a different cruise line using them to pay for the trip. That is fairly easy. 

Yes AARP Royal Caribbean gift cards can only be used to make a payment for a cruise, my experiance is the can be used for payment on any cruise prior to do date.  They cannot be used for any cruise planner purchases or applied as OBC at anytime.

Not as easy to use as Carnival gift cards from AARP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

Glad you got a reply....I had asked for input but got none. I heard of people using it on board but am not willing to risk it.  ....I did buy s9me for a different cruise line using them to pay for the trip. That is fairly easy. 

The ones that can be used onboard are the full priced ones issued/sold by RCL.

My final payment is coming up and I wanted to use the AARP gift cards.  As I was reading the T&C it says not for groups.  I called my TA and she's finding out if I could use them for the group rates she got us.  Would be very disappointed if not.  We have 3 RCI cruises booked and the total we would save is significant.