Cunard Review

Chalkey21

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Chalkey21 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I have seen a lot of people on this site saying Cunard have the best ships at sea.

I would like to disagree with this as we disembarked from QM2 following her world cruise.

The food in the buffet was terrible, no flavour, no seasoning and was bland, with the same lukewarm dishes rolled out every night.

The restaurant food was slightly better but not by much.

The pursers were either disinterested or not trained and were mostly unhelpful.

I will be going back to Azamara, never to set foot on Cunard again.

How they call themselves a luxury cruise line beats me.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’m sorry your experience differed so radically from ours. Aside from some rude pursers on the QE shortly after the main part of the pandemic, either our experiences have been very different or we are stupidly easy to please. I prefer to think it’s the former, though we tend to sail through life pretty happily most of the time.

Either way, I wish you well and happy in your preferences.

Edited by 2Oldpeopleinlove
  • Like 4

I can understand certain disappointments with Cunard.  I’ve been sailing them for many years and tend to be forgiving because I do enjoy the Cunard style of cruising (which does seem to be changing in many respects).  This being said over the past 40 years I’ve sailed on most lines from Carnival up to Regent and most in-between.  First of all I don’t classify Cunard a luxury line.  It’s not Regent, Crystal, Silversea, or Seabourn by a long shot.  And yes many lines do things far better than Cunard (from cuisine quality & selection to entertainment). Cunard is hardly the end all be all.  But they do offer what has been a unique experience at sea on some truly lovely ships.  A more traditional, formal, and structured experience. Basically the style of a bygone era. Unfortunately they are getting away from all that in which case I’ll have to ask myself what the draw is when other lines do things better?  I’ll always be drawn to QM2 and crossings because they are such a unique experience (but my last QM2 crossing was a big letdown). I’ve got a QA crossing booked in January so I’ll see how that is.  I’ve already sailed on her sisters over at HAL the ROTTERDAM and NIEUW STATENDAM.  Will the Cunard version be worth the premium for essentially the same ship?  I guess I’ll find out. Meanwhile I’ve fallen in love with the Celebrity Edge Class ships.  Beyond stunning and a lot of bang for your buck.  

• Like 9

I think that finding Cunard so disastrous is a reasonably rare opinion.

Often 'too traditional/old fashioned/not for me' but of course opinions vary.

I like Cunard and think they offer very good value but I suppose opinions vary.

I'm not sure that I have ever had reason to have any meaningful engagement with a purser onboard, what was the issue?

I've only cruised Azamara once to be in Monte Carlo for the Grand Prix, I don't really remember it all that well but certainly no negatives to share.

• Like 2

Comparing traveling on a 2,600 pax premium class ocean liner in Britannia grade to a smaller 700 pax luxury ship really is not a fair comparison. I heard the food and service on Azamara is very good but so is food and service in the Grills level on Cunard and that would be a more accurate comparison, especially fare-wise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, eroller said:

I can understand certain disappointments with Cunard.  I’ve been sailing them for many years and tend to be forgiving because I do enjoy the Cunard style of cruising (which does seem to be changing in many respects).  This being said over the past 40 years I’ve sailed on most lines from Carnival up to Regent and most in-between.  First of all I don’t classify Cunard a luxury line.  It’s not Regent, Crystal, Silversea, or Seabourn by a long shot.  And yes many lines do things far better than Cunard (from cuisine quality & selection to entertainment). Cunard is hardly the end all be all.  But they do offer what has been a unique experience at sea on some truly lovely ships.  A more traditional, formal, and structured experience. Basically the style of a bygone era. Unfortunately they are getting away from all that in which case I’ll have to ask myself what the draw is when other lines do things better?  I’ll always be drawn to QM2 and crossings because they are such a unique experience (but my last QM2 crossing was a big letdown). I’ve got a QA crossing booked in January so I’ll see how that is.  I’ve already sailed on her sisters over at HAL the ROTTERDAM and NIEUW STATENDAM.  Will the Cunard version be worth the premium for essentially the same ship?  I guess I’ll find out. Meanwhile I’ve fallen in love with the Celebrity Edge Class ships.  Beyond stunning and a lot of bang for your buck.  

Greetings eroller!

Thank you so much for this information and your many posts on CC, I have learned much!

You mentioned your last QM2 crossing was "a big letdown".

I am doing a crossing end of June.

Could you highlight what specifically concerned you?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Dear eroller--

You write:  "I’ll always be drawn to QM2 and crossings because they are such a unique experience (but my last QM2 crossing was a big letdown)."

I'm about to take my first TA (and Cunard) trip in July, so I am quite interested in hearing your experiences!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

Dear eroller--

You write:  "I’ll always be drawn to QM2 and crossings because they are such a unique experience (but my last QM2 crossing was a big letdown)."

I'm about to take my first TA (and Cunard) trip in July, so I am quite interested in hearing your experiences!

2 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

Greetings eroller!

Thank you so much for this information and your many posts on CC, I have learned much!

You mentioned your last QM2 crossing was "a big letdown".

I am doing a crossing end of June.

Could you highlight what specifically concerned you?

Thanks!

My apologies if my post concerned you.  My last QM2 crossing was May 2022 so not recent.  It was a poor crossing not up to Cunard standards.  I've sailed on QM2 10+ times and that crossing was by far the worst.  The ship never looked so bad and was covered with rust everywhere you looked.  That made me sad as I absolutely love the ship.  Food was not up to par and the menu selection had been paired back.  I had just sailed on Celebrity prior and it was night and day difference.  So basically I put Cunard on pause after that crossing and probably won't go back to QM2 until after her next major refit.  I have booked QA for a crossing in January. 

Keep in mind that crossing was still during the last phase of Covid so Cunard was still operating under restrictions (much more so than Celebrity and other lines which was odd).  Also I've since read many reviews on QM2 and things seemed to have improved a great deal.  So I would not worry.  It was also time for me to give QM2 a break.  As they say ... too much of a good thing.  I've sailed on her so many times so was losing her sparkle for me.  Good indication a pause was needed. 

In any case please don't let my one experience worry or concern you.  It was a while back and things were different then.  QM2 is an amazing one of a kind ocean liner.  I have no doubt you will enjoy her and the crossing.  It's a fantastic and unique experience.  Bon Voyage!

Edited by eroller
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Merci!

I had heard things about her looking a bit shabby, particularly in the spa, but others here have reassured me much (all?) of that was taken care of in a 2023 (I think) refit.  I believe there's a bigger one coming up too?  

I certainly don't mind a bit of rust--to be expected on an ocean liner, especially in places like the North Atlantic--but I do care about the food!  I'll go for quality over quantity every time.

As an adult I've been on only two cruises, both sort of for business but with friends too:  one on Holland America to the Caribbean (I enjoyed myself well enough but wouldn't repeat it on my own dime) and a Crystal cruise to Hawaii (basically fabulous but more than I'd usually be comfortable paying).  I think, from descriptions I've read, that Britannia won't be up to food I had on pre-bankruptcy Crystal but I absolutely love the sound of life onboard:  I like to read and look at the view, hear an enrichment talk or two, stroll around, enjoy more-than-superficial conversations over dinner, and not be crowded or wait in endless lines.  I like dressing for dinner and don't need elaborate (or any?!) post-dinner entertainment.  

You've inspired me to take a look at Celebrity too!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

Merci!

I had heard things about her looking a bit shabby, particularly in the spa, but others here have reassured me much (all?) of that was taken care of in a 2023 (I think) refit.  I believe there's a bigger one coming up too?  

I certainly don't mind a bit of rust--to be expected on an ocean liner, especially in places like the North Atlantic--but I do care about the food!  I'll go for quality over quantity every time.

As an adult I've been on only two cruises, both sort of for business but with friends too:  one on Holland America to the Caribbean (I enjoyed myself well enough but wouldn't repeat it on my own dime) and a Crystal cruise to Hawaii (basically fabulous but more than I'd usually be comfortable paying).  I think, from descriptions I've read, that Britannia won't be up to food I had on pre-bankruptcy Crystal but I absolutely love the sound of life onboard:  I like to read and look at the view, hear an enrichment talk or two, stroll around, enjoy more-than-superficial conversations over dinner, and not be crowded or wait in endless lines.  I like dressing for dinner and don't need elaborate (or any?!) post-dinner entertainment.  

You've inspired me to take a look at Celebrity too!

I think you will love the experience.  It’s like no other.  QM2 is a one of a kind true ocean liner and a crossing is what she was built for. She is quirky and that is a big part of her charm.  Large and grand open spaces. High ceilings.  Very spacious.  

I personally don’t feel the cuisine and selection is up to the standard of other lines (certainly not Crystal) but you certainly won’t starve!  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, eroller said:

I think you will love the experience.  It’s like no other.  QM2 is a one of a kind true ocean liner and a crossing is what she was built for. She is quirky and that is a big part of her charm.  Large and grand open spaces. High ceilings.  Very spacious.  

I personally don’t feel the cuisine and selection is up to the standard of other lines (certainly not Crystal) but you certainly won’t starve!  

eroller!

Thanks so much for spending time to update us on your QM2 experience.

We are Blessed to have you. 👋

QM2 is a real ship, not a cruise ship and for that my spouse and I she is the BEST.

Q - eroller - you said you like the Celebrity E class. I do not, no forward view, to big, restricted access to the entire ship.

Could you advise us on what you like on this class of ship?

You are a ship expert, so I am Most interested in your assessment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

eroller!

Thanks so much for spending time to update us on your QM2 experience.

We are Blessed to have you. 👋

QM2 is a real ship, not a cruise ship and for that my spouse and I she is the BEST.

Q - eroller - you said you like the Celebrity E class. I do not, no forward view, to big, restricted access to the entire ship.

Could you advise us on what you like on this class of ship?

You are a ship expert, so I am Most interested in your assessment.

You are too kind thank you. 

Regarding Celebrity's Edge Class ships, I'm a big fan of high design and these ships are truly a work of art.  At every turn I was so impressed with the design, the incredible attention to detail, and the art.  Even the little things that most people don't notice like ceiling design was just gorgeous.  And the designers actually took the time to create some interesting ceilings.  I'm a big fan of designer Nate Berkus and his beautiful designs were quite evident onboard.  Every detail was painstakingly thought out I felt.  

Physically I loved the layout of the ship, the cabins, the bathrooms, the massive main pool, and the upper decks.  Even Destination Gateway where you get on and off the ship via tender ... how incredible thoughtful.  And tenders with a/c?  Wow I've never had that even on Regent.  I never felt like there were large areas cut off, and no I wasn't in the retreat.  To me it felt no better or worse than the Grill areas on Cunard in that regard.  It's true there is no forward facing observation lounge, but I had spa access the entire cruise and that facility did face forward and even had an open deck with an unobstructed forward facing view so I never felt I missed out on that.  Also the incredible Eden Lounge aft with those fantastic views of the wake.  Just loved that as much as looking forward and what a spectacular space.  

Lastly the dining was fantastic.  We didn't do any specialty restaurants but I loved there were four MDR's, each with a different theme.  Being an ocean liner lover of course I fell in love with the Normandie Dining Room.  I also enjoyed superb cuisine, and what a treat to have Beef Wellington (my favorite) not once, but twice.  In two different dining rooms so the preparation was a little different with each, but equally fantastic.  Unfortunately I can't get Beef Wellington even once on Cunard now.  They have dumbed it down to Salmon Wellington.  Just not the same. 

So for me everything just excelled on Celebrity.  I've sailed on Celebrity probably as much as Cunard, and they have become my go-to line.  I just love their ships (M & S Class too) and the way they do things.  They are a good fit for me, and for now.  Things change and someday that may too as cruise lines are ever evolving, but for now I quite enjoy them and frankly have since my first Celebrity cruise back in 1996.  Like all lines they have gone through their ups & downs, but I feel with the Edge Class ships they really got it right in pretty much every respect. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, eroller said:

You are too kind thank you. 

Regarding Celebrity's Edge Class ships, I'm a big fan of high design and these ships are truly a work of art.  At every turn I was so impressed with the design, the incredible attention to detail, and the art.  Even the little things that most people don't notice like ceiling design was just gorgeous.  And the designers actually took the time to create some interesting ceilings.  I'm a big fan of designer Nate Berkus and his beautiful designs were quite evident onboard.  Every detail was painstakingly thought out I felt.  

Physically I loved the layout of the ship, the cabins, the bathrooms, the massive main pool, and the upper decks.  Even Destination Gateway where you get on and off the ship via tender ... how incredible thoughtful.  And tenders with a/c?  Wow I've never had that even on Regent.  I never felt like there were large areas cut off, and no I wasn't in the retreat.  To me it felt no better or worse than the Grill areas on Cunard in that regard.  It's true there is no forward facing observation lounge, but I had spa access the entire cruise and that facility did face forward and even had an open deck with an unobstructed forward facing view so I never felt I missed out on that.  Also the incredible Eden Lounge aft with those fantastic views of the wake.  Just loved that as much as looking forward and what a spectacular space.  

Lastly the dining was fantastic.  We didn't do any specialty restaurants but I loved there were four MDR's, each with a different theme.  Being an ocean liner lover of course I fell in love with the Normandie Dining Room.  I also enjoyed superb cuisine, and what a treat to have Beef Wellington (my favorite) not once, but twice.  In two different dining rooms so the preparation was a little different with each, but equally fantastic.  Unfortunately I can't get Beef Wellington even once on Cunard now.  They have dumbed it down to Salmon Wellington.  Just not the same. 

So for me everything just excelled on Celebrity.  I've sailed on Celebrity probably as much as Cunard, and they have become my go-to line.  I just love their ships (M & S Class too) and the way they do things.  They are a good fit for me, and for now.  Things change and someday that may too as cruise lines are ever evolving, but for now I quite enjoy them and frankly have since my first Celebrity cruise back in 1996.  Like all lines they have gone through their ups & downs, but I feel with the Edge Class ships they really got it right in pretty much every respect. 

It's always to see other's opinion - even if it is different than ours.  As a reference point we are Double Zenith and had sailed exclusively in upper suites for 24 years.

After spending 13 weeks on Apex and  Edge in the past year, we have decided we will never sail on an E-Class ship ever again.    I agree with you the ships are beautiful but they have some major downsides in our views.    Notable the sound issues with all of the specialties dining rooms.  No Walls--- open to loud Lobby with ear splitting "Light Show"  

The other main issue is the sheer number of passenger in Luminae.   Unlike the M and S class ships were they cook your meals to order -   On E-Class the cook more cafeteria style and I have had numerous dishes that were totally inedible or cold on the outside while on a piping hot plate.

We will be taking out first cruise on QM2 in October and wont' be trying to comparing it to Celebrity but experience it as a new chapter in our life.   After 24 years with Celebrity We have booked 2 Cunard Cruises, 2 Oceania, 1 Silversea and 1 Celebrity so far this year.   We definitely are no longer and exclusive Celebrity Fan.

On the brighter side we just returned from 5 weeks on Solstice and love it with the exception of some small but noticable cut backs --- 1  QTips so thin stems you can't use them (had to buy my own).    No Butter in OVC Grill -  they have switched to little tubs of a butter blend,   Butter in Luminae Cut back to 50% of normal size and Ice Cream in Luminae that was totally inedible,   Icy, bad taste and texture of ice milk.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's always to see other's opinion - even if it is different than ours.  As a reference point we are Double Zenith and had sailed exclusively in upper suites for 24 years.

After spending 13 weeks on Apex and  Edge in the past year, we have decided we will never sail on an E-Class ship ever again.    I agree with you the ships are beautiful but they have some major downsides in our views.    Notable the sound issues with all of the specialties dining rooms.  No Walls--- open to loud Lobby with ear splitting "Light Show"  

The other main issue is the sheer number of passenger in Luminae.   Unlike the M and S class ships were they cook your meals to order -   On E-Class the cook more cafeteria style and I have had numerous dishes that were totally inedible or cold on the outside while on a piping hot plate.

We will be taking out first cruise on QM2 in October and wont' be trying to comparing it to Celebrity but experience it as a new chapter in our life.   After 24 years with Celebrity We have booked 2 Cunard Cruises, 2 Oceania, 1 Silversea and 1 Celebrity so far this year.   We definitely are no longer and exclusive Celebrity Fan.

On the brighter side we just returned from 5 weeks on Solstice and love it with the exception of some small but noticable cut backs --- 1  QTips so thin stems you can't use them (had to buy my own).    No Butter in OVC Grill -  they have switched to little tubs of a butter blend,   Butter in Luminae Cut back to 50% of normal size and Ice Cream in Luminae that was totally inedible,   Icy, bad taste and texture of ice milk.  

A difference of opinions and tastes is what makes the world go round!

I’m not loyal to any one line.  I sail them all.  I love ships and they are a hobby so I’m really into experiencing different types of ships under the various cruise lines.  Especially prototypes. The grass isn’t always greener, and I’ve found every cruise line goes through ups and downs.  Some years they are great, and others not so much.  It’s all cyclical.  Depends if they are in cutback mode or enhancement mode.  Since Covid all the lines have made cutbacks and are charging more. Some worse than others.  For me Princess has changed the most and not for the better.  All the lines are trying to make up for years of losses.  If people are willing to pay the higher prices and get less, well good on the cruise line.  

I’ve been sailing Cunard since the 80’s. I’ve seen them go through many ups and downs.  My last experience on QM2 was dismal so I’ve put Cunard on pause for a few years.  I’ll be back in early 2025.  Sounds like you’re doing the same with Celebrity.  Sometimes time away is a good thing. You won’t notice the cutbacks on Cunard as frankly you didn’t know how it was before.  That works in your favor.  The same is pretty much true of every cruise line I’ve sailed.  Good years and bad years but I keep sailing so that tells you something.  

• Like 2

eroller, Jim_lain - thanks to both of you for your engaging and detailed analyses.

The Celebrity M class, particularly the Connie, is my favorite ship size, with the exception of the QM2.

Everyone is different and thankfully there are many options for cruising. Like you both said, it is very important to research a vessel and voyage before booking.

The new ships are too large for my taste with way too many passengers - I am the Connie size or smaller.

I started cruising in 1989 on the, innovative for her time, the Sovereign of the Seas. Due to the cost and uncertainty about what product you will actually get on a cruise these days - I am pausing cruising in 2024 and moving my travel to land tours and driving trips in North America - expanding my travel world.

Hoping you both have happy, safe and wonderful travel.

Blessings to you both.

• Like 3

On 5/11/2024 at 7:50 AM, Chalkey21 said:

I have seen a lot of people on this site saying Cunard have the best ships at sea.

I would like to disagree with this as we disembarked from QM2 following her world cruise.

The food in the buffet was terrible, no flavour, no seasoning and was bland, with the same lukewarm dishes rolled out every night.

The restaurant food was slightly better but not by much.

The pursers were either disinterested or not trained and were mostly unhelpful.

I will be going back to Azamara, never to set foot on Cunard again.

How they call themselves a luxury cruise line beats me.

With respect it is easier to complain than be proactive, did you voice your concerns  with the appropriate staff onboard. In March this year we were on the QUEEN ELIZABETH for nearly 3 weeks, we had a few issues but when we brought them to the attention of the proper staff, fixed right away. We travel Cunard, among other things  they listen and are proactive!

• Like 3

I just had excellent Beef Wellington on the QE last night. It has been on offer one night of each of the two segments of the Japan cruises I am currently doing.  Food has been good to very, very good on board.   On night, I selected something I didn’t like (nothing wrong with it per se, but not exactly what I was expecting); however, my waiter quickly spotted that I was not enjoying it and immediately offered a replacement. Wait staff and other staff have been extremely proactive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2024 at 5:50 PM, Chalkey21 said:

I have heard very few people say that Cunard is the best. There is no best cruise line any more than there is a best restaurant or best book. It is  matter of personal taste.

Cunard is presently our favourite line. It has not always been so, but our previous favourites are no longer sailing. (Our all-time favourite was the Union-Castle Line which ended passenger service in1977.)  

Comparing Britannia "Class" on Cunard to the high-end so-called all-suite ships is like comparing Air Canada's Economy Class to Emirates First Class.  Travelling in Queens Grill is a rare treat for us, but we think it is quite luxurious.