Currency on Explora 1 in North American waters?

joeinsb

Just read the FAQ on Explora website and read that the Euro is the currency used on the ship. True? I'm heading from LA to Miami and can't believe that the dollar isn't accepted on board. Guess I won't have to spend any money on gratuities.

Interesting approach

Of course the crew will accept cash gratuities in US$ should you choose to make them 

But you’ll still be asked to settle your on board account in Euros 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, joeinsb said:

Just read the FAQ on Explora website and read that the Euro is the currency used on the ship. True? I'm heading from LA to Miami and can't believe that the dollar isn't accepted on board. Guess I won't have to spend any money on gratuities.

I did a Med cruise last year on a US line  and had to use US dollars onboard.  Outrageous 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dizer65 said:

I did a Med cruise last year on a US line  and had to use US dollars onboard.  Outrageous 😂

But now you’re on a European line, so they use Euros. Same principle: it’s not where you are sailing, but whether the cruise line considers itself American or European. 

1 hour ago, Dizer65 said:

And I did a round UK cruise on a Norwegian line and had to use dollars. Its preposterous 😂

• Haha 2

Onboard gratuities are included in your cruise fare just like other luxury cruise lines.  However, as others have noted, any offered gratuity is graciously accepted regardless of the currency. 

I am on the current short sailing from Vancouver to LA, and have been surprised to see multiple instances of gratuity being given at bars.  

• Thanks 1

There's so many nationalities aboard that I am sure there's a currency exchange operating among the crew that will take Nepalese rupees, Tunisian Dinars and Kenyan Shillings among others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1