Boarding day questions

New to MSC.

1. Has anyone had any issue carrying on a heating pad with auto shutoff these days? I’ve read mixed reports, I’m thinking This is probably a YMMV issue.  

2. Do they have boarding day carry on bag check?

3. going on the theme of the first two Q’s, I get a Bad back and joints. Hence the bag check and heating pad. Has anyone had any luck getting an egg crate/foam topper mattress pad for their bed on MSC? The beds are usually too hard for me plus only half useable because of the crack down the middle. 

MSC's bed on Meraviglia was quite hard.  You may try contacting special needs through the web site to request an egg crate.  If that doesn't work, ask your room steward when you meet them.  At the very least, they will be able to put a couple of duvets on the bed.  

I need a very soft bed and the first time I asked my steward for an egg crate all she did was put an extra mattress pad on the bed.  Not a solution.  Next cruise I explained to the steward that I needed a foam egg crate pad.  He put one on, though I think he put it on upside down, with the flat side up.  But it was certainly better, but not perfect.  EM

16 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

New to MSC.

1. Has anyone had any issue carrying on a heating pad with auto shutoff these days? I’ve read mixed reports, I’m thinking This is probably a YMMV issue.  

3. going on the theme of the first two Q’s, I get a Bad back and joints. Hence the bag check and heating pad. Has anyone had any luck getting an egg crate/foam topper mattress pad for their bed on MSC? The beds are usually too hard for me plus only half useable because of the crack down the middle. 

Heating pads (even with auto shut off) are not allowed on MSC.  I went through the special needs department and offered to get a doctor’s note and it was still a big NO.

They thoroughly check your carry on luggage at boarding as well.

I brought a hot water bottle which is allowed.  We cruised this past February on the Meraviglia.

On 5/11/2024 at 4:54 PM, marktwothousand said:

New to MSC.

If you are asking if there is a place you can store your bags until your room is ready… on our last MSC cruise they allowed and even encouraged us to drop our bags off in our room. We just couldn’t stay in the room, just a drop and go. 

On 5/12/2024 at 1:54 AM, marktwothousand said:

Has anyone had any luck getting an egg crate/foam topper mattress pad for their bed on MSC?

Don´t expect any staff on MSC to understand what you mean with "egg crate". I also do not, but it sounds funny 🙂 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

Don´t expect any staff on MSC to understand what you mean with "egg crate". I also do not, but it sounds funny 🙂 

image.jpeg.986d884619c1aec63a9d91739c74a3de.jpeg This is what they mean when they say "egg crate topper" -  a piece of foam that goes on top of a bed to make it softer

• Like 1

5 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

LOOOOOL. I actually didn’t call it that but that’s what the terminology was from the stewards. It may be Filipino English dialect 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lukeca said:

If you are asking if there is a place you can store your bags until your room is ready… on our last MSC cruise they allowed and even encouraged us to drop our bags off in our room. We just couldn’t stay in the room, just a drop and go. 

That’s what I was thinking. Valuables in the mix, but ya. I’ve read on some sites that there’s a bag check near the pool deck or cafeteria on boarding day. 

Posted (edited)

Just off the Seashore and DW had a small battery-powered heating pad onboard without a problem. Last year on the MSC Preziosa departing from Hamburg, DSIL had a regular size heating pad onboard without a problem. The room steward even supplied an extension cord. European bag checks may not be as strict.

Edited by Heartgrove

14 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

LOOOOOL. I actually didn’t call it that but that’s what the terminology was from the stewards. It may be Filipino English dialect 

It's called an egg crate because it resembles an egg crate.  It's a common term in the health care industry.

• Like 1