A 1-Day Australian Cruise to nowhere?

I was browsing the NCL site for cruises.

How about a 1-Day cruise from Cairns Aus to Cairns Aus. Leaving 11:59 pm on Wednesday, and arriving 6:00 am Thursday? 😂

Screenshot_20240511-224409.thumb.png.96aea5f58342c34df43429246155a5ee.png

Screenshot_20240511-224430.thumb.png.5e5a13774d3508670284c4478ba229fb.png

I have this on my cruise in January.  Not sure why we arrive at 11.00am and yet the disembarkation is 7.00am the next day.  Never struck this before.  Weird - why not just stay at sea instead of paying the extra wharf fees.  Melbourne is the end of the 15 night cruise and ships usually come in at 7.00am and disembark from 7.30am.

image.thumb.png.6fac66a96a8486d44fcb506dad6968ed.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I have this on my cruise in January.  Not sure why we arrive at 11.00am and yet the disembarkation is 7.00am the next day.  Never struck this before.  Weird - why not just stay at sea instead of paying the extra wharf fees.  Melbourne is the end of the 15 night cruise and ships usually come in at 7.00am and disembark from 7.30am.

image.thumb.png.6fac66a96a8486d44fcb506dad6968ed.png

It gives people the extra day in port, rather than a sea day at the end. We have had similar a couple of times at places like Venice.

Not sure how itineraries like this come along, but I’ve always just assumed that it is an accident of timing with the port schedules and NCL have decided to give people the extra time rather than just hanging around outside of port. It does allow for a less rushed reprovisioning I suppose.

Every time I’ve had something like this has been at the end of a longer cruise so that may be a factor (although I can’t think why).

Edited by KeithJenner

Since I live in Melbourne and lots of other passengers will also live in Victoria or nearby it seems odd to be in port and not getting off to go home.  Kind of an anticlimax.  I just put it down to Norwegian not having home-ported Melbourne before.  I think they are learning as they go along.

The following Auckland to Melb cruise comes in at 11.00pm so I can understand the reasoning for a 7.00am the following morning disembarkation then although 11.00pm is not a normal arrival time for Melbourne ports.