Alaska Seward Celebrity or Whitter Princess

14cruisegirl

Hi! I have been researching the two cruise lines and departure ports and I'm having a very hard time making a decision. One is on Princess and the other Celebrity. We are a couple in our early 50's and like both cruise lines. The price and itinerary are very similar. Is one port easier to get to? It seems like there is a lot more to do in Seward. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Posted (edited)

Whittier is a tad simpler (not by much), Seward is a better port. Most miss the ports all together as they will do a transfer and go directly on to the ship. If you do go with Celebrity, go down a day or two earlier as it is a great port.

On the other hand, Celebrity doesn't go to Glacier Bay. So I would choose Princess.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Fly in a couple of days early, take the train to Seward, go on a Kenai Fjord wildlife cruise, take the train back to Anchorage (if you have time stay one night in Seward), and then depart from Whittier on a Princess cruise.  Princess goes to Glacier Bay and has a better Alaskan enrichment program onboard.

5 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Fly in a couple of days early, take the train to Seward, go on a Kenai Fjord wildlife cruise, take the train back to Anchorage (if you have time stay one night in Seward), and then depart from Whittier on a Princess cruise.  Princess goes to Glacier Bay and has a better Alaskan enrichment program onboard.

I second this idea. Plus the train ride to Seward provides stunning beauty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, disneyochem said:

We are doing almost this. We are renting a car and driving to Seward for 2 nights.  Doing the Kenai Fjords cruise and then back to Anchorage for a ride to Whittier.

But the cruise ship will be the HAL Noordam.

I have heard so many good things about Kenai Fjords.   

Recommend Princess too for Glacier Bay.   

5 minutes ago, SirTomster said:

We are doing almost this. We are renting a car and driving to Seward for 2 nights.  Doing the Kenai Fjords cruise and then back to Anchorage for a ride to Whittier.

But the cruise ship will be the HAL Noordam.

I have heard so many good things about Kenai Fjords.   

Recommend Princess too for Glacier Bay.   

Nice!  A Kenai Fjord cruise is always a must for us when we’re in Seward.  Going on one in June.

We’re on the Noordam a few times this summer.  We like to take the northbound to Whittier and then catch a southbound after some DIY activities.

Enjoy your summer!

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 9:37 AM, Coral said:

Plus the train ride to Seward provides stunning beauty.

The train Anchorage to Seward is indeed spectacular in the scenery department. 

• Like 2