Will this affect access to the Port of Galveston?

3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I have not cruised from Galveston before. Will this affect access to the cruise port? 

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/pelican-island-causeway-bridge-galveston-texas/285-7ae769e4-136d-4a6d-bd9b-5778dfa6f1bd

No, it shouldn't. At this time, the Cruise Cam is showing the bridge & what's going on. 

GALVESTON.COM: Cruise Video Cam - Galveston, TX

Edited to add: Check out the posts on the Webcam Chat. It is under the cam video on the left.

• Thanks 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/barge-hits-bridge-galveston-texas-182003021.html

This happened just a few hours ago, so not sure of the status of the bridge etc. Not as catastrophic as the Baltimore bridge, but that road is closed and most of the power to the island was knocked out. Hopefully it's quickly fixable. 

I was sharing what was being reported earlier and have been away from the internet while driving home, so just now got more updates. Yes, it is not the "big" I-45 bridge but a smaller one to a smaller island. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/barge-hits-bridge-galveston-texas-182003021.html

This happened just a few hours ago, so not sure of the status of the bridge etc. Not as catastrophic as the Baltimore bridge, but that road is closed and most of the power to the island was knocked out. Hopefully it's quickly fixable. 

@Kellie in Texas

Your new thread has been moved & merged into the existing thread on the Gulf Coast Departures forum.

When this now merged thread started, the Cruise Cam was on the Pelican Island Causeway Bridge. As I type this post, the volunteer cam mods have put the Cruise Cam back on patrol since this is not a turnaround day for Carnival or RCCL. They have the GALVESTON.COM: Emerald Video Cam - Galveston, TX pointed to the Pelican Island Causeway Bridge now.  However, not a lot of daylight left today as sunset is at about 8:00 pm CDT.

Here is another link for anyone interested: Oil Spill After Barge Hits Bridge | Weather.com

• Like 1

Kind of related. With the apparent devastating derecho that blew through the Houston metro area yesterday, I'm wondering if there were any effects felt from that in Galveston or travel to/from Galveston (i.e. from Hobby or IAH)? 

On 5/18/2024 at 5:29 PM, joepeka said:

Kind of related. With the apparent devastating derecho that blew through the Houston metro area yesterday, I'm wondering if there were any effects felt from that in Galveston or travel to/from Galveston (i.e. from Hobby or IAH)? 

Freeway construction and traffic will be your concerns getting to Galveston. 

This did briefly  affect the Galveston Naval Museum (one of many great places to visit in Galveston) but according to their website the bridge was repaired and reopened May 18.