San Francisco questions

I’ll be spending one night in San Francisco before my cruise this coming November.  Looking for hotel recommendations not too far from the cruise terminal, preferably 3-4 star properties.  And what’s the best way generally to get from hotel to cruise terminal?  Are taxis and Ubers the way to go?  I’m assuming that San Francisco hotels don’t have plentiful shuttles like in Fort Lauderdale, as an example.  Finally, are there shared shuttles from the airport, or would I just take a taxi or Uber from there to the hotel?

Thanks in advance!

1) Use taxi or Uber to hotel/cruise terminal. No hotel shuttles to the city, mainly for hotels in the vicinity of the airport. 

1b) If you don't mind wheeling your luggage around you can to the International Terminal and take BART (subway) to Embarcadero Station. At street level is the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero.

2) Look for hotels in or near Fisherman's Wharf.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, elycelynne said:

I’ll be spending one night in San Francisco before my cruise this coming November.  Looking for hotel recommendations not too far from the cruise terminal, preferably 3-4 star properties.

A nightly max budget is more helpful than a star rating,

Uber is the best way around town and probably from the airport too, unless you use BART from the airport.

• Thanks 1

I would also recommend the Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39 area.  There are a lot of chain hotels around and not too far from the cruise terminals.  I've not seen any of the city hotels that have shuttles so taxi/Uber to terminal.  

• Thanks 1

SF is a rather compact city I wouldn't get hung up on "minutes" to the port.  I would look more for a nice location (near the port isn't) and also price.  We visit SF often and tend to go to the Union Square or Financial District area.  You won't find any shuttles, but SF is Uber's HQ so they are minutes away from where ever you might be.  Uber from SFO is easy once you find the pickup spot.  They send all the ride shares to one location on top of a parking structure and when you book it will show which "number" you should stand at.  It's easy once you figure it out.    

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with many of the others.   SF is a very compact city being 7 Miles X 7 Miles so no need to limit yourself to the Fisherman's Wharf area.   Fisherman's wharf is a touristy area and prices of both hotels and food are generally higher than you might find elsewhere.

If you are going to be in SF for a day or more before your cruise I would pick a place near public transit or sight you would like to see. 

Don't limit yourself to the big chains as there are some really incredible boutique Hotel's.   Start by determining you price point and then checkout the neighborhoods you might like.   Personally I would recommend the area North of Market and avoid the Tenderloin (I wouldn't even walk in that area) which is blocks from Union Square.

We cruise out of San Francisco the most so we always fly in at least one night before if not more... We Love to stay at Columbus Motor Inn on Columbus Ave. It is a short walking distance from the Warf and only 2 blocks from a cable car turn around.  It is reasonably priced for San Francisco and there are some great places to eat in short walking distance.