changing large Canada bills for smaller currency- have questions.

I ordered some Canadian currency from B of A---  Some of the bills that I received are $50 and $100 notes.  Will restaurants accept payment with the larger currency (St. John, Halifax, Sidney, Quebec City?)  There will be a couple of banks open in St. John, which is at the beginning part of upcoming cruise.  But I have, I think, barely enough smaller bills to last until Quebec City, where after the cruise I will be staying for 2 more nights, before heading home..  I prefer to not use  credit cards in eateries when out of US, as on two different prior trips, my cards were hacked-- which was a very annoying experience to say the least.  Cruise is starting in Boston----  I was thinking if we pass a foreign exchange office after we land, maybe they can change the bills for smaller notes.  I guess there would be a change for that?  Just wondering what others have done, when traveling with large currency notes.  Thanks for any wisdom!

11 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

Will restaurants accept payment with the larger currency (St. John, Halifax, Sidney, Quebec City?)

Yes-- its legal tender. They are obligated to accept it. 

12 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

I prefer to not use  credit cards in eateries when out of US, as on two different prior trips, my cards were hacked-- which was a very annoying experience to say the least.

A credit card with no international fees is by far the more secure way to do this-- cash is easily lost, misplaced, or stolen. Your credit card company will deal with any issues if there are any. 

13 minutes ago, Jetswdo said:

Cruise is starting in Boston----  I was thinking if we pass a foreign exchange office after we land, maybe they can change the bills for smaller notes.  I guess there would be a change for that?

Stay away from the change bureaus- the exchange rates are worse than banks and they charge extra for the service. The best way to get foreign currency when already abroad is use your debit card in a brick and mortar bank's atm in Canada. Read-- don't use an independent atm or one you find in a store. Use the ATM at an actual bank. You'll get the best exchange rate that way. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You can pop into any bank/credit union and ask to change for smaller bills, no charge if same currency.  The fifties will still be quite useful as, unless you are planning on only eating at McDonalds, a decent sit down meal at a mid range dining/family establishment will easily run you $60-70 for two with a drink each and tip.  Smaller fast food places/food trucks and little Mom & Pop stores may have a sign that says they cannot accept $100.00 bills (limited tills for change and fear of counterfeit bills.)

Most places these days have a mobile card machine that can be brought to your table, so you shouldn't have a problem with scamming.  If you go to a place with only a tethered machine, accompany them with your card to the machine at the desk so you can watch the transaction. (no hidden extra swipe behind the desk)

Edited by canadjineh

The 5 restaurants we are planning on eating in for lunch during the cruise--- One is in a pub in Sydney, the other a seafood restaurant in St. John --  a crepe place in Quebec-- a food court in Charlottesville, and a cafe stop in Saguency---- I figure 2 of us will spend about $75 altogether for at least 3 of the stops-- the other two, maybe $35-$50 at the most.  In Quebec, eating twice for two nights, looked at the menu and will spend $100-135 or so including the tip----  Would the $100 bills that I have be ok in the dinner place (a non fancy Italian restaurant near hotel that we will be staying at?  would the  $50 bills be ok in the more expensive lunch places as suggested above?

On 5/24/2024 at 5:55 PM, princeton123211 said:

Usually at a premium and poor exchange rate. 

OP asked about trading in large bills for smaller ones, same currency.  No fee for exchange.