Who, when, where

Some of this seems to still be a "work in progress."  We are booked for the 23 day Quebec City to Barbados cruise leaving Quebec City on October 26.  If you pull up that cruise the description does not include any entertainers or speakers and does not mention that Gloria Gaynor will be on board and performing.  However, if you pull up the shorter Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale portion of that cruise (which can also be booked) all entertainers (including Gaynor) and the lecturers are listed.  (The summary of the full cruise also references that it will include Phillipsburg even though St. Marten is not a scheduled stop.)  

16 hours ago, vistaman said:

C really should add the senior officers ( captain hotel director ) , cruise director and restaurant manager !

Why?? I have never understood this. The lecturers and entertainers I understand, possibly even the CD, but what does it matter who the Captain/Hotel Director/Maitre D' are?? Would anyone seriously consider cancelling a booking because they don't like the Captain or HD?? 

• Like 6

Thx Keith —- had looked a couple of times before and saw nothing —————- tis a great list

Roland —- If a passenger has sailed Crystal before, knowing which key officers will be on board can add to the anticipation. While he is no longer with Crystal, seeing Captain Egil Kiske (sp) would put a smile on my face as we had a couple of wonderful dinners with him over the years.

4 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Why?? I have never understood this. The lecturers and entertainers I understand, possibly even the CD, but what does it matter who the Captain/Hotel Director/Maitre D' are?? Would anyone seriously consider cancelling a booking because they don't like the Captain or HD?? 

I find it useful ... and yes I do avoid one hotel director !

I always enjoyed seeing the officer information in advance, just out of curiosity, but I always just considered it a “nice to have”.  

On a macro level the officer information seems stable because the officer assignments are for months at a time, but voyage-by-voyage all of these assignments, even the lecturers, are constantly changing as people’s specific travel and coverage plans evolve.  The content management system for the website isn’t connected to any system that tracks the officer staffing, so it (was) a lot of work to keep all of that current for all assignments on all voyages on all ships, and was never completely accurate based on the volatility of the data.  You constantly ran the risk of passengers being upset by the changes or late updates, and complaining that they were expecting X Restaurant Manager, or X Hotel Manager when they ended up with someone else.

The guest entertainers are even more volatile because the assignments are shorter,  but to Larry’s point the value proposition is completely flipped because the average passenger (and I know there are exceptions, but…) use this information much differently than the “oh that’s nice” officer information.  Having to manage (and periodically disappoint) with the entertainers is probably a smart place for Crystal to draw the line.

If Crystal did add the officer info tomorrow I’d be happy, but I can probably think of 50 things I’d rather see them work on first than that, honestly.

Vince

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, vistaman said:

I find it useful ... and yes I do avoid one hotel director !

Good example…. So what happens when you book a cruise, and then 2 weeks out the hotel director changes, as happens sometimes?

Vince

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Good example…. So what happens when you book a cruise, and then 2 weeks out the hotel director changes, as happens sometimes?

Vince

so then I have bad luck  ...😁

• Like 2

I am truly not trying to be sarcastic.

It wasn't that long ago when we didn't even know Crystal would return as new Crystal.

And we must remember this is New Crystal and not Old Crystal.

While they have incorporated several things from the past, added in things that are new, I certainly don't expect them to be a clone of old Crystal. 

A few months before sailings began last year some people were asking for this information so I reached out to Crystal and was able to get information on entertainers and enrichment for the first several cruises which I posted.  At the same time, I was told in-time they would find away to provide it on the Crystal website.   Unlike before this is done by a different organization and that is the the entertainment side of the house and that is why we likely don't see the officer information. I would keep in mind we are only talking about a few officer positions.  

I am not sure how many other cruise lines even provide any of this.  As Vince noted, this information is always subject to change even at the last minute.

For anyone who wants to know who the officers will be just check with on board guest services. I have found them to be very responsive and I have referred others to them who have gotten this information.  You can reach out to them at: obgs@crystalcruises.com

Keith 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2024 at 11:59 PM, occasional cruising said:

We are on Serenity San Diego to Vancouver — is there a site with the names of entertainment, speakers etc.?

Hi there. I don’t recall that you’ve popped into our roll call thread to say hi. Here it is, if you’d like it.