Scenic has abandoned Tailormade

DougK

After years of work on it, and years of touting it in its brochures, Scenic has now abandoned the Tailormade app. I boarded the Opal yesterday, and was surprised to learn this from the cruise director's opening talk. I talked with him a little afterwards, and he confirmed that it was a change. There were ongoing problems with use of the app (and the custom Tailormade device prior to the app) as a method of handling the audio on guided tours, so Scenic has opted to just go with the same devices as every other cruise company. Unfortunately, that was only one part of the Tailormade app. The other unique part of the app was the extensive library of information and commentary about local sites of interest. This was a real help in going off and exploring on one's own, rather than going on a guided tour. I don't understand why Scenic couldn't have kept that part of the app--a competitive advantage for them, as I don't believe other cruise companies offered such an aid, and I am quite disappointed by its disappearance. And by the lack of prior notice, considering how it had been touted as part of the Scenic experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Taliormade app was very glitchy on our trip.  I agree the info was places was good but the connection to guides speaking on tours not that great.

We found the biggest problem with Tailormade was getting all the passengers synced to it, with the wide variety of smartphones and user competence.  The QuietVox-type devices have the benefit of all being uniform, and the tour guide is given spares to cope with the odd failure.

I agree that it would be nice to keep the Tailormade app for its other features, but maybe Scenic feels that now they are paying QuietVox for their devices they need to cut the expense of keeping the Tailormade info up to date.

We were on one of the very first cruises trialing the app with the company experts on board to help out with any glitches. So we’ve worked with both. Tailormade as an intercom system worked well no problem. The app also worked superbly and my smart phone is an Apple seven really old school. I’m sorry to see it go - hey I’m old but still managed to work it, but then as my DH says our age group were among the inventors and  first users of computers we may get a bit befuddled with the nitty gritty but we know the basics. 
Sitting in the lounge when it clicked in with information was an interesting situation.

So Jazz I think your absolutely correct it’s a cost cutting exercise along with the reception staff fed up with sorting it out.

Hooray!

The latest Quietvoxes are very good. Scenic's Tailormade, even when using Scenic's own smartphone, was an unreliable way to listen to a guide.

I wrote this in my trip report of my Scenic Bordeaux tour.

Tour guides had to carry a large box to transmit their talk, this was unreliable, often cut out, and the range was not as long as  Viking’s. Too often the device stopped working so part of the talk was missed, other times altogether and so the tour group had to stick closely to the guide to hear them.

I go on my next Scenic cruise in June. Hooray that Quietvox will be used. Perhaps its too much to hope Scenic will copy some other of Viking's offerings.

I have no gripes with Scenic ditching Tailormade as the method for communication with tour guides; based on the numerous complaints, I have no doubt that Quietvox will work better for that. But tour guide communication wasn't what made Tailormade special--every cruise company has some method (usually Quietvox). What made it unique was all the site information, and there's no reason--other than cost cutting--why Scenic should ditch that part of the app. They could easily use Quietvox for tour guide communication, and keep the Tailormade app for everything else.

Once again I am reminded of the different wants of guests.*

All I wanted was to hear the guide, I didn't use the rest of the app. So we would both be happy if they used the Quietvox for excursions and kept the Tailormade app.

Didn't they use the app for end of cruise questionnaires? 

Funnily enough, Viking have used Quietvox at least since I first cruised with them in 2012 and have recently introduced an app in addition.

*Considering all the many different wants and needs of cruisers, I think the cruise lines do a pretty good job of meeting them.

I hope that ditching the Tailormade App means they will go back to having paper copies of the daily activities flyer.  On our Seine cruise the CD said that HQ wanted them to go paperless, but she knew the passengers preferred paper dailies so she would provide them.  DW and I mark them up with our personal dance card choices, and I keep them after the cruise for preparing my blog (and for my archives).  Paper has virtues that Apps can't match [and vice versa, I acknowledge – but for me the balance tilts to paper].

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I hope that ditching the Tailormade App means they will go back to having paper copies of the daily activities flyer.  

I fear you're going to be disappointed. On this cruise at least, the daily activities flyer is available on the TV. The cruise director told people to just bring it up on the TV, and take a picture of it on their phone to have it with them. Paper copies are available on request at reception, but that's not the default approach.

1 minute ago, DougK said:

Paper copies are available on request at reception, but that's not the default approach.

Good to know.  I will request then.

12 minutes ago, DougK said:

Paper copies are available on request at reception, but that's not the default approach.

I've got it on my list of things to ask the 'butler' for. As @Host Jazzbeau says, after the end of the cruise one cannot access info on the app.

14 minutes ago, DougK said:

The cruise director told people to just bring it up on the TV, and take a picture of it on their phone to have it with them.

That 'do it yourself' is part of what make Scenic  'Ultra Luxury' 😁

Just now, pontac said:

That 'do it yourself' is part of what make Scenic  'Ultra Luxury' 😁

But there are enough chairs in the lounge for all passengers to sit during the port talks.  That's a luxury you don't get on some river cruise ships with too many passengers...

On my next cruise I will also insist on paper copies to add to my collection. I also note that every invitation to book a cruise this year includes private door to door transfers. I do hope every one enjoys their cruise with an open mind. If you note anything on any companies cruise that seems a a bit off ask about it or report it. It just might help someone else. 

Ive noted this before but it might be something to reiterate Scenic now employ directly all of their staff and crew apart from the cruise directors that are brought in from an outside company, is some of this coming from that direction?

And just to show how different guest have different desires, as pontac has pointed out, I'm perfectly happy with Scenic's paperless approach. While years ago I used to treasure daily programs and save them as souvenirs, I too have changed over the years, both personally and with the advent of electronics/internet. I now both care less about the programs in general and have a greater desire to be paperless. By the same token, I just asked our butler *not* to deliver the paper mini-newspaper that apparently is one of the suite perks that I didn't know about or care about.

I hope that Scenic will find a way to satisfy both those of use who prefer paper and those who prefer paperless.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But there are enough chairs in the lounge for all passengers to sit during the port talks.  That's a luxury you don't get on some river cruise ships with too many passengers...

Oh, seats now count as luxury - or is that ultra-luxury? I don't know which cruise line doesn't have enough seats - it's not one I have cruised on.

17 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I also note that every invitation to book a cruise this year includes private door to door transfers

You get free transport to airport because of your high ranking in the Scenic loyalty scheme. It's not true for those who haven't reached that level.

Two years ago even first time cruisers got transport, not so this year.

@DougK Do (did) the daily Programmes remain accessible on the app when you get home?

I take the Viking Daily's home and scan them to keep and to post in my trip reports. The photo's I took of the Scenic Daily Programmes were poor quality; they were behind  plastic on the reception counter and I had to take the photo's at an angle because of the reflections on the plastic

Regardless I seriously doubt that I would receive a personalised 40 page brochure for French river cruising including private door to door transport, free flights with a saving of 35%. Even I’m not that influential! 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Regardless I seriously doubt that I would receive a personalised 40 page brochure for French river cruising including private door to door transport, free flights with a saving of 35%. Even I’m not that influential! 

Funnily enough when I got back from lunch there was a(nother) Scenic brochure in the letter box.

This one offers chauffeur transfers to airports within 50 miles, but it differs in many ways from yours - in particular

1) it is for 2025 cruises, not cruises this year as you said

2) It is 36 pages including covers, not the 40 pages you got

3) It offered savings 'up to 20%', not the 35% you got

so maybe you are that influential!!

Edited by pontac

Posted (edited)

I have been reading this with interest. I was a little upset that Avalon was going paperless - everything was on the app. However, I've just gone into the app again from my trip from Sept, can still access menu's (which I've saved to my h/d in .pdf), daily activities (also saved), and the journal where you can do daily write ups, add photos etc. I also went into the guides provided for the cities and they list several thing and information to see. I didn't do the journal on this trip, nor did we download the guides, which we should have as it would have helped us find some things when we were on our own. They are all still accessible for downloading.

I'm actually looking forward to using it on our next cruise, it's got everything we need, and i can save everything to my h/d when I get home. They were still giving out paper copies, but it's nice to see the menu's ahead so we know if we want to go back to the ship at lunch to catch something new, or if we want to stay in town to enjoy the atmosphere.

Edited by Daisi

6 hours ago, pontac said:

Oh, seats now count as luxury - or is that ultra-luxury? I don't know which cruise line doesn't have enough seats - it's not one I have cruised on.

Viking.  It was confirmed in a recent review on this forum (latecomers having to stand).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Viking.  It was confirmed in a recent review on this forum (latecomers having to stand).

But, we got printed out daily schedules left on our beds on our December Viking cruise.

So there's that.

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just goes to show, you can't believe all you read on this forum! As you haven't been on a Viking River Cruise and I have been on fifteen, I can confirm there is seating for all if they want to sit.