Dress code in Fatima, Portugal

Hi, everyone- planning a shore excursion to Fatima,  Portugal in June so it will be hot. Excursion mentions a dress code that frowns upon wearing shorts. I have no problem with that, but wondering if those who have been there, is that what you encountered. Long pants to visit the shrine? Thank you.

11 hours ago, marilla chris said:

Long pants to visit the shrine?

A long, lightweight floaty dress or skirt (even a sarong) for ladies would be a lot cooler  to wear in hot weather.

Any men in your group might want to wear a pair of those long pants with legs which can be unzipped when not in a religious environment.

Hello
On another site someone asked about the dress code in Europe. I reviewed those of quite a few cathedrals in Spain and Portugal

The expression you find is that you have to dress "with decorum" or "appropriately." I haven't seen anything specific about specific garments

Of course, shoulders covered. No clothes with straps. Regarding the knees, I am sure that if it is shorts that cover the entire thigh they will let you pass while if it is very short (up to mid-thigh or less) they will not let you pass. It is no longer a question of what is taught or not as in some other religion but of the fact that clothing with straps is too informal and they are asking you for a certain decorum to visit a religious temple.

And some norm that they also indicate, or that not yet indicating it, is taken for granted.
Never enter with anything on your head. No hats, caps, sports caps, scarves, etc... It doesn't matter if they are very informal caps or if the hat is very formal in another culture. He doesn't take anything. Even if someone has little hair on their head and usually wears a specific hat to avoid problems with the sun, they should remove it (indoors there are no problems with the sun). Not taking off your hat is much more disrespectful than entering with a tank top

Never enter with sunglasses. Although the temples tend to be somewhat dark, there are always those who forget. It is something that is also considered disrespectful.

Do not eat or drink. Not even water. If you are thirsty you go outside. It is a temple, not a museum. Includes not chewing gum or anything else you put in your mouth

Don't talk on the phone. If there is a very urgent call you go outside the temple. It is very frowned upon for your phone to ring inside a temple.

These are the basic rules for any Catholic temple, not necessarily in Portugal. In some temples in Italy I have seen that they have been somewhat stricter but these rules apply in all countries of the Catholic religion.

On 6/2/2024 at 2:49 PM, alserrod said:

Never enter with anything on your head. No hats, caps, sports caps, scarves, etc...

The above is in regard to men. Women should cover their heads.

1 hour ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Not in a catholic church / monastery / cathedral

3 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

You’re a bit behind the times as regards women covering their heads in a Roman Catholic church: The 1983 Code of Canon Law lifted that head covering requirement for women.

• Like 2

Went to Fatima pre pandemic probably 2019. Wore shorts to knee and T shirt, no problems. What did surprise me as I have never seen this previously was people walking on knees for penitence?  I am not particularly religious, seeing people on knees crawling along was very strange. Forgive my religious ignorance but Fatima was interesting and pleased I visited, but would not return as seen it.  

38 minutes ago, Photo Andy said:

Went to Fatima pre pandemic probably 2019. Wore shorts to knee and T shirt, no problems. What did surprise me as I have never seen this previously was people walking on knees for penitence?  I am not particularly religious, seeing people on knees crawling along was very strange. Forgive my religious ignorance but Fatima was interesting and pleased I visited, but would not return as seen it.  

Hello:

Do you remember what dates of the year it happened?
These manifestations are very rare but they continue to exist. I remember very few places where they are held. One of them is Fatima in Portugal, as you say. In Lourdes (southern France) many sick people come with the hope of being healed (and it is striking because the tradition of France as an atheist country is very strong and generates a great contrast).
However, they are almost unique cases. On the other hand, the Camino de Santiago has almost half a million pilgrims annually (people who have walked for at least 100 km, although the usual thing is to do it for a week and there are those who plan to do it in sections for several years, each year. a week because he doesn't have that many vacations). However, it is very difficult to distinguish who does it for religious reasons, who for cultural reasons, who for sport and who for curiosity given that everyone goes with trekking clothing and trekking customs on a route like this.

In general terms, unless you are at Easter, you will not see anything like this again in almost all places.

On 6/10/2024 at 9:30 AM, alserrod said:

Hello:

Do you remember what dates of the year it happened?
These manifestations are very rare but they continue to exist. I remember very few places where they are held. One of them is Fatima in Portugal, as you say. In Lourdes (southern France) many sick people come with the hope of being healed (and it is striking because the tradition of France as an atheist country is very strong and generates a great contrast).
However, they are almost unique cases. On the other hand, the Camino de Santiago has almost half a million pilgrims annually (people who have walked for at least 100 km, although the usual thing is to do it for a week and there are those who plan to do it in sections for several years, each year. a week because he doesn't have that many vacations). However, it is very difficult to distinguish who does it for religious reasons, who for cultural reasons, who for sport and who for curiosity given that everyone goes with trekking clothing and trekking customs on a route like this.

In general terms, unless you are at Easter, you will not see anything like this again in almost all places.

alserrod, 

I looked up my images from Fatima and the metadata date was Wednesday 7 December 2016. I have attached an image taken of the square where people where walking on knees.

BW

DAR Fatima Dec 2016c..jpg