EWR Airort Hotel with Best Shuttle service

Can anyone recommend a Newark Airport Hotel with reliable shuttle service.    Looking in price range $160-200 a night.   We will be arriving 1AM

Last time we stayed at EWR it was a total mess and we waited over an hour for a shuttle, while we saw some chain hotels coming by about every 10-15 minutes.

Ones on my short list   DoubleTree, Holiday Inn Express, Crown Plaza

Greetings, this past October we stayed at the Hilton.  I choose it (we live in NJ) because we had a really early flight out and the shuttle was 24 hrs, some of the hotels are 'on demand' - read, limited!  Also, this hotels' shuttle is independently ran/operated and we asked the driver if he would drop us off at the terminal instead of at the airport tram stop. (which he was very happy to do so) Please be very sure that you would be picked up at your terminal - it may be worthwhile to actually call the hotel to inquire - it is a real pain to have to go to the airport tram stop at that hour.  As you know, it can be a total nightmare there!  Additionally, even though reviews are varied, and the hotel is not new, it was clean and pleasant for an airport hotel!  Surprisingly the bar served a very nice burger (it was a sunday evening) - not sure that would help you since you have such a late arrival.  

I called each of your short list hotels to inquire the shuttle services - not all answers were clear!  you need to be very specific with your questions.  Please let me know if I can help further!

• Like 1

Any hotel shuttle that picks you up at one of the airline terminals rather than at the P4 AirTrain station is violating airport rules so don't expect to find a hotel that will do that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Any hotel shuttle that picks you up at one of the airline terminals rather than at the P4 AirTrain station is violating airport rules so don't expect to find a hotel that will do that.

You had me excited until I read the last line.

21 minutes ago, mygreyhound66 said:

Greetings, this past October we stayed at the Hilton.  I choose it (we live in NJ) because we had a really early flight out and the shuttle was 24 hrs, some of the hotels are 'on demand' - read, limited!  Also, this hotels' shuttle is independently ran/operated and we asked the driver if he would drop us off at the terminal instead of at the airport tram stop. (which he was very happy to do so) Please be very sure that you would be picked up at your terminal - it may be worthwhile to actually call the hotel to inquire - it is a real pain to have to go to the airport tram stop at that hour.  As you know, it can be a total nightmare there!  Additionally, even though reviews are varied, and the hotel is not new, it was clean and pleasant for an airport hotel!  Surprisingly the bar served a very nice burger (it was a sunday evening) - not sure that would help you since you have such a late arrival.  

I called each of your short list hotels to inquire the shuttle services - not all answers were clear!  you need to be very specific with your questions.  Please let me know if I can help further!

Thanks.... At least it won't be too bad for us as we will be on West Coast time.  I'll give Hilton a call.

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

You had me excited until I read the last line.

Considering I wrote a single, slightly run-on sentence there really isn't anything much more than "the last line". 😉

Wow, I did not know that it was a violation!  I would not knowingly ask someone to do that!  I'll just count myself lucky and not speak of it again!  

I do feel for the OP since thats a horrible position that he is in.  Sometimes change isn't always good!

You might also check to see if your hotel shuttle operates that late.

We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn Suites in Elizabeth NJ (and used their comp shuttle) if you're looking for another hotel recommendation. We enjoy this hotel's location.

• Like 1

Hi Jim, I just returned home from a cruise on Eclipse out of Bayonne and stayed at Embassy Suites. I don't believe there are any hotels that are less than around 250.00 per night......(I could be wrong of course) but my stay was 260.00 and for 22.00 extra they had a van to take you to the ship.  They picked me me up from the airport and that was included in the room price. Oh, you are arriving late.......you might call the hotel to see the pick up times😮,,,not sure if they pick up that late or not. This hotel is in Elizabeth, right near the Jersey Gardens Mall.

• Like 1

Thanks for all ---- I decided to book Hilton as recommended.    I have initially booked a fully refundable rate and will probably change it to non-refundable closer to the cruise.

BTW -  we will be sailing on Cunard but we arrive at about 1AM so wanted something close to the airport.

The only time the shuttles can pick up at the terminals is if it's for uniformed airline crew, and even then, most of the shuttles are contracted and crew only.  (Even hotel shuttles, they'll have the hotel name on it, but it'll say like Signature transportation or something).  Some of them CAN drop off at the terminal itself, or will do it anyway 😉 if it's VERY early in the AM or VERY late, and you're mobility impaired or have a zillion kids.  

As for "reliable" shuttles, it's a crap shoot. 

Also be advised that the Crowne Plaza is surrounded by crap, there's nothing to eat by the Hilton or Doubletree but if you're JUST sleeping, it doesn't matter.  I'd still never let anyone I know stay at the Crowne Plaza.  

I generally book the Embassy Suites through Trinity Reservations unless one of my fave Marriott flavors (Courtyard or Residence Inn on International Drive, adjacent to the ES) have decent deals or I'm not parking my car.

All that said, technically shuttles are to go to P4 only.  And BTW, getting FROM there TO the new Terminal A is a pain in the arse.  The airtrain does NOT go to the terminal but rather the parking garage that's a 15 minute walk from terminal A OR another shuttle bus ride.  PANYNJ ridiculosity (yes it's a word, I looked it up!) at its finest. The airtrain will not go to the new A until MAYBE 2027.  Maybe.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2024 at 4:02 AM, megr1125 said:

The only time the shuttles can pick up at the terminals is if it's for uniformed airline crew, and even then, most of the shuttles are contracted and crew only.  (Even hotel shuttles, they'll have the hotel name on it, but it'll say like Signature transportation or something).  Some of them CAN drop off at the terminal itself, or will do it anyway 😉 if it's VERY early in the AM or VERY late, and you're mobility impaired or have a zillion kids.  

As for "reliable" shuttles, it's a crap shoot. 

Also be advised that the Crowne Plaza is surrounded by crap, there's nothing to eat by the Hilton or Doubletree but if you're JUST sleeping, it doesn't matter.  I'd still never let anyone I know stay at the Crowne Plaza.  

I generally book the Embassy Suites through Trinity Reservations unless one of my fave Marriott flavors (Courtyard or Residence Inn on International Drive, adjacent to the ES) have decent deals or I'm not parking my car.

All that said, technically shuttles are to go to P4 only.  And BTW, getting FROM there TO the new Terminal A is a pain in the arse.  The airtrain does NOT go to the terminal but rather the parking garage that's a 15 minute walk from terminal A OR another shuttle bus ride.  PANYNJ ridiculosity (yes it's a word, I looked it up!) at its finest. The airtrain will not go to the new A until MAYBE 2027.  Maybe.

Thanks much... We've done it before.    For now I have Hilton booked.    We will be arriving after 1AM so food not important.