Viking Christmas Village Cruise Rhine for a first time cruiser

Hi

Looking for any help I can get since I've never cruised before

1) Are there any sites to use that get you better deals then you would on Vikings website

2) Is see that I can either go from Amsterdam to Basil or reverse.....does it matter which way?

3) Any tips on rooms? I feel like we'll hardly ever be in the room so we don't need anything luxurious but I'm guessing some rooms might get more noise than others so any suggestions would help.

4) Any Christmas Village cruises other than Viking?

5) Anything else I need to concentrate on?

Thanks

1 hour ago, GibbsWash73 said:

Hi

1) Are there any sites to use that get you better deals then you would on Vikings website

2) Is see that I can either go from Amsterdam to Basil or reverse.....does it matter which way?

3) Any tips on rooms? I feel like we'll hardly ever be in the room so we don't need anything luxurious but I'm guessing some rooms might get more noise than others so any suggestions would help.

Thanks

1. Hello @GibbsWash73 and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

Thank you for your new thread. However, it was posted on an incorrect forum and was off topic there. To help you out, your thread has been moved to the River Cruising forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Viking river cruises frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on the forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. And your new thread will fit right in! Also, for more information be sure to research our River Cruise Ports forum.

Please note discussion with TA names or any venue for cruise purchase other than the cruise lines are not allowed on our message boards. For more information, please click here Travel Agent Recommendations for the section in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you have found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the page in your Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines:

Browse Before You Post
    Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will post replies to you.

Also, it is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, sail date or port in your message if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members answer you.

If you ever need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads toward the top of the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. Again, you may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

12 hours ago, GibbsWash73 said:

Hi

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic.

1) In my experience no.  Some Travel Agents may have group booking deals, but we have never seen this with TA's that we work with.  We accept the Viking site and promos advertised as the best deal out there.

2) This is personal preference.  We always start in the city that we can achieve a direct non-stop flight to.  This reduces the risk of delays with connections, delayed luggage, and other perils including missing the start of the cruise.  Often the "other city" is a connection flight and we do that coming home so we don't care if there are delays.  Especially in the winter months we tend to fly in one day early so we have time if there are travel challenges.

3) We spend time in our cabin to sleep, shower, and change.  Otherwise - regardless of weather - we are in the lounge or on deck if we are not off the ship.  We book Viking's lowest price cabin, but I prefer to have at least a Juliette Balcony, so we are on deck 2 or 3.  There are lower priced rooms on deck one, but without an opening window and the window is mid-chest / shoulder height giving these cabins the nickname of "aquarium class".

4) Pretty much any cruise line sailing the European Rivers in December and near Christmas have the option there.

5) Not from my perspective.  Just ask more questions.

On my first Viking cruise my TA was able to give me a huge rebate, but Viking has put a stop to that and now any TA who violates the policy will be banned from booking Viking so you only get peanuts.

Welcome to Cruisecritic.

20 hours ago, GibbsWash73 said:

As regards the river itself, not really. You may find slightly different port times/schedules depending on the direction. Check the description of the itinerary in detail. Usually, exact port times are not published by Viking, though, as they are subject to change at short notice.

20 hours ago, GibbsWash73 said:

Check the dates when the Christmas markets open. This will vary from town to town. You can find dates online for almost every port well in advance.

notamermaid

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

On my first Viking cruise my TA was able to give me a huge rebate, but Viking has put a stop to that and now any TA who violates the policy will be banned from booking Viking so you only get peanuts.

This is from Viking's terms/conditions:

A Travel Agent may combine a Published Price with non-cash marketing incentives, provided the following conditions are all met:

1. The non-cash marketing incentives are part of a sales & marketing plan promoting Viking products to be redeemed and used onboard the booked Viking cruise.
  2. The actual or perceived total retail value (in USD) of the non-cash marketing incentives cannot in the aggregate exceed the following: (i) for one (1) to seven (7) nights on Viking vessel, $150 per guest; (ii) for eight (8) to fourteen (14) nights on a Viking vessel, $300 per guest and (iii) for fifteen plus (15+) nights on a Viking vessel, $500 per guest.
  3. For any non-cash marketing incentives that are not redeemable from Viking during the Viking cruise, then the retail value of the non-cash marketing incentive offered or provided by Travel Agent cannot exceed $100 per booking for agency branded items.

tldr: $150 pp for 1 week cruise, $300 pp for 2 week cruise.

It may be peanuts, but with suggested tip amounts now being $20pp/day, the OBC will almost cover that.  

Yes, but I got 15% cash back before the crackdown [I just looked it up].  And I didn't have to pay in full over a year in advance.  That's why Viking is one and done with me...

On 6/5/2024 at 12:39 AM, GibbsWash73 said:

I've only booked direct with Viking by phone. By talking nicely to  real person I have been offered various incentives that I wouldn't have got booking on the website.

As usual, @CDNPolar has made some cogent points. Check about incoming and homegoing flights and their times. Neither Amsterdam or Basel's airport are far from where boats moor. (Note if flying into Basel the airport serves both France and Switzerland so make sure you exit the baggage hall through the Swiss exit)

I have been on the Basel>Amsterdam route several times and thinking about it I would say that Amsterdam>Basel would be better as the scenery gets better as the trip progresses, and the highlight for many is going through the Middle Rhine with all its romantic castles. This is closer the Basel so it's something to look forward to on the cruise.

Some people say that rooms on the upper deck get noise from people jogging on the sun deck, some say rooms on the lower deck get scraping noises in low water if he ship scrapes the bottom, some say that rooms at the back get engine noise. I've stayed on all  three floors and not suffered these noises.

Biggest noise I find I people talking loudly in the corridor. I always get a room at the back so fewer people walk past. Of course, that's furthest to walk to the restaurant/lounge/exit

Probably, but as Christmas market don't interest us I haven't looked.

No. Just get to the incoming airport and Viking will look after you till it's time to check-in to your flight home. Then you'll be booking your next cruise.

• Like 1

Our Basel to Amsterdam 2021 with Lucerne prestay flew in to Zurich. 90 minutes private car provided by Viking to Lucerne 3 nights. Big bus Lucerne to Basel. We liked this direction. Very active in beginning when we had energy to enjoy. If you suffer from jetlag you may consider starting in Amsterdam and having a relaxing time the first few days. Watch out for the bikes!  Yikes!

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Viking does not really go "on sale" at any time of the year.

Viking has promotions of free air, or reduced air, or $25 deposits, or OBC, or the like, but cabin prices don't typically go on sale.

It is our experience after 10 Viking cruises and 4 future Viking cruises booked, that when you see something that appeals, grab it because all that will happen by waiting is the cabin category that you want will sell out and then you are paying more for a cabin category that you perhaps did not want to start with.

There are promo codes and there is a discussion in the Viking Ocean forum for these: