Specialty Dining Reservation vs. Walk Up?

We’re currently on the Joy and decided to add more specialty dining meals. I’m trying to book but there is little availability. Will they seat us if we walk up and wait for a no show? Last night we couldn’t get anything until 8:45, but when we walked by restaurants earlier in the evening some were practically empty. I’m wondering if NCL is understaffing the specialty venues and not opening reservations for open tables or are people booking and not bothering to call and cancel? I’d appreciate any advice!

13 minutes ago, weisla said:

We’re currently on the Joy and decided to add more specialty dining meals. I’m trying to book but there is little availability. Will they seat us if we walk up and wait for a no show? Last night we couldn’t get anything until 8:45, but when we walked by restaurants earlier in the evening some were practically empty. I’m wondering if NCL is understaffing the specialty venues and not opening reservations for open tables or are people booking and not bothering to call and cancel? I’d appreciate any advice!

Try going right at opening. Generally that's 5:30. Unless you're a large group, most places will probably be able to fit you in...probably. Good luck! 

20 minutes ago, weisla said:

Why would NCL not seat walkups if there is availability?  That would cost them money.

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why would NCL not seat walkups if there is availability?  That would cost them money.

I know, that’s what I thought! I called the reservation line and asked and was told “no, you need to have a reservation.” That seems ridiculous, especially since we saw tons of empty tables at places that supposedly had no reservations available. That’s why I wondered if they were purposely understaffing.

2 minutes ago, weisla said:

I know, that’s what I thought! I called the reservation line and asked and was told “no, you need to have a reservation.” That seems ridiculous, especially since we saw tons of empty tables at places that supposedly had no reservations available. That’s why I wondered if they were purposely understaffing.

A table might be empty at 6 PM because someone has reserved it for 6:30.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

A table might be empty at 6 PM because someone has reserved it for 6:30.

Of course, but last between 6:30-7 there were dozens of empty tables - every inside table in La Cucina was vacant and Food Republic was so empty I actually thought it must be closed. 

Just now, SoloAlaska said:

An empty table doesn’t mean availability. They can move staff around based on needs aka reservation numbers. It doesn’t hurt to ask kindly.

Yes, that’s what we’ll try tonight, go early and ask nicely 🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lizard13 said:

Is there a central desk to book dining reservations or are they made at each restaurant?

Only on day 1, then it is by phone or at the host desk at each restaurant after 5pm

30 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I don't believe that Food Republic takes reservations.

They are offering reservations right now on the Joy. We booked one last night.

50 minutes ago, weisla said:

Only on day 1, then it is by phone or at the host desk at each restaurant after 5pm

I’m wrong about this, a desk is open in today in Teppanyaki 7:30-5.

i'm sure i'll get blasted for this post, but  if you walk up, ask for the maitre'd, introduce your self with a hand shake, but make sure there's a $10. bill folded in your hand. usually works for me

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i'm sure i'll get blasted for this post, but  if you walk up, ask for the maitre'd, introduce your self with a hand shake, but make sure there's a $10. bill folded in your hand. usually works for me

I just make a reservation and pocket the ten bucks.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Interesting.  This is what had me confused:

image.png.2ce69937096950e02a7e011c0a543678.png

IIRC it was not available pre-boarding, but they are allowing reservations for dinner. Lunch is still first come, first served. Unless you try the  @complawyer $10 bill strategy 😉

IMG_1275.png

12 minutes ago, weisla said:

IIRC it was not available pre-boarding, but they are allowing reservations for dinner. Lunch is still first come, first served. Unless you try the  @complawyer $10 bill strategy 😉

IMG_1275.png

Thanks.  I'm too cheap to use my buddy @complawyer's strategy.  Do that ten times and I'm down around a hundred bucks.🤣

6 hours ago, weisla said:

Walk up and try to get a seat. 

Open table does not mean available table. Any reservation from 5:30-7:00ish would hold a table until the party shows up. 

IF the weather is nice AND people are sitting outside, that opens up more tables for seating. That opens up space for walk-ins. But many days folks are not sitting outside (too cold, too hot, too windy, rainy).

42 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Walk up and try to get a seat. 

Open table does not mean available table. Any reservation from 5:30-7:00ish would hold a table until the party shows up. 

IF the weather is nice AND people are sitting outside, that opens up more tables for seating. That opens up space for walk-ins. But many days folks are not sitting outside (too cold, too hot, too windy, rainy).

We requested outside seating at Onda on Prima due to noise level inside.