Starlink on Alaska cruise?

Posted (edited)

I am going on an Alaskan cruise on the Edge this summer. I'm a little nervous about it because I have a virtual work event that I absolutely cannot miss - so important that if the wifi situation is questionable, I may need to just take the loss and not go on the cruise at all. I bought the premium package for this reason. How has the wifi been in your experience? If it makes any difference we will be farther south during the event, as it takes place in the morning while we head south for an afternoon port call in Victoria.

Edited by critic2023

While the Wi-Fi is usually reliable, sometimes it goes down for no apparent reason. It could be your geographical location, it could be a system failure, it could be anything. You are just not guaranteed of 100% creativity when you need it. Yes it is usually OK but if it’s that critical that you have online access, you may need to reevaluate your plans.

I have sailed Alaska a couple times since Starlink. Honestly I've had mixed results.  Sometimes it was awful. Strangely enough, in port it was often worse. Much better than my sailings there pre-Starlink but can't 100% guarantee no issues 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, critic2023 said:

I am going on an Alaskan cruise on the Edge this summer. I'm a little nervous about it because I have a virtual work event that I absolutely cannot miss - so important that if the wifi situation is questionable, I may need to just take the loss and not go on the cruise at all. I bought the premium package for this reason. How has the wifi been in your experience? If it makes any difference we will be farther south during the event, as it takes place in the morning while we head south for an afternoon port call in Victoria.

Since you will still be closer to Victoria, you should be fine, farther north in Juneau and Skagway, Dawes glacier  sometimes it would get sporadic. This was my experience. 

I have used Starlink everywhere from Greenland, Iceland, New Zealand, Europe and Asia also TransPacifics and TransAtlantics

I have not noticed any difference in connectivity from any of these locations.   As other's have said on occasion all internet is dropped usually when changing Satellites or Servers.   Usually no more than a couple hours.   You shouldn't have any trouble in the area that you describe.

Speeds on Celebrity are throttled to about 5 MB down and 3 MB up which is fine for Zoom, streaming services like Netflix.   I've had to participate in a number of Zoom meetings as well a VOIP calls.