Cancelling or replacing cabin mate

Leeag

We have a Mediterranean cruise scheduled August 31, 2024  on Princess Sun, someone in our group has to cancel.  Since we have made final payment can that person be replaced by someone else. If so would there be any additional fees.  If no one else replaces that person would credit be given for anything, such as ports fees, plus package, cancelled excursion, etc.  Thanks for the help

You would have to call Princess to find out whether someone else can take the place of the person not going.  If that person doesn’t sail, at least their port fees, plus package and excursions would be refunded.

After final payment:

If they (and cabin mate) had cruise insurance, then the remaining party would be able to cruise without disruption or any added costs.  

If you want to change a name, there is a cut off time (don't know how many days) and probably a name change fee.  It used to be $50.

If claiming insurance, party would need to claim for covered medical reason to get refund minus insurance.  If cancelled for any other reason, party will get FCC depending on level of insurance.

I am not sure how the excursions would be handled since it is attached to the person cancelling.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Leeag said:

We have a Mediterranean cruise scheduled August 31, 2024  on Princess Sun, someone in our group has to cancel.  Since we have made final payment can that person be replaced by someone else. If so would there be any additional fees.  If no one else replaces that person would credit be given for anything, such as ports fees, plus package, cancelled excursion, etc.  Thanks for the help

You said group. If you booked with Princess as a group, then there is a different set of rules. If you just booked a few cabins, then each cabin would be treated separately.

You may be able to change one person in the cabin. It depends on when. You will need to contact Princess (if you booked direct) or your travel agent (if you booked with one) to get the exact requirements.

Someone cancelling will receive a refund for taxes and port fees.

Cancelled excursions will be refunded. If the cancellation is done more than five days prior to the cruise, you should receive the refund by credit card. Otherwise, the refund would be to refundable OBC to the cancelling passenger - which would be refunded by check.

The cost of the Plus fare package would not be refunded, since it is not itemized as a separate package. If purchased pre-cruise, it is considered part of the fare, and it is subject to the same cancellation penalties as the rest of the fare.

The cancellation penalty may not be 100%. For a sailing 24 days or shorter, the cancellation penalty is 25% for 75 to 89 days, 50% for 61 to 74 days, 75% for 31 to 60 days, and 100% within 30 days. Since the cruise is scheduled to depart on August 31st, you are now in the 25% penalty period - if you act quickly.

If you have Princess Vacation Protection (PVP) and cancel for a covered reason, all costs will be reimbursed except for the cost of insurance. However, you have to cancel promptly. If the covered reason occurs during the 25% penalty period but you don't cancel until the 50% penalty period, they may not pay the additional 25% penalty caused by the late cancellation.

If you both have Princess Vacation Protection and one cancels for a covered reason, the Princess Cruise Cancellation Fee Waiver (For Specified Reasons) refund will cover any additional single supplement charge. Notice that the single supplement refund is mentioned only in the section on Princess Cruise Cancellation Fee Waiver (For Specified Reasons) - it is not mentioned in the section for Vacation Protection "Any REASON" Travel Credits. I don't have personal experience, but reading the policy description, it does not look like there would be any refund of a single supplement if cancelling for any reason - not for a covered reason.

If you both have Princess Vacation Protection and one cancels for a non-covered reason, they the one cancelling would receive a Future Cruise Credit for 100% or 75% of the penalty. The one traveling would have to pay the full single supplement, however. It would have to work this way. Otherwise, a single could book someone else in the cabin and cancel during the 25% penalty period to avoid the full single supplement. Princess could not do this with cancellation for a non-covered reason without opening the door to many fake bookings to avoid the single supplement.

In summary, if one cancels during the 25% penalty period, I would expect the remaining passenger to have to pay the full single supplement - offset by the cancelling passenger receiving a 75% refund.

Thanks for all the advice, it will be for non covered reason & the room mate that is going has already paid the full room cost.

1 hour ago, Leeag said:

Review post #4 if you have insurance and might be filing a claim, but the short answer is, Yes, Princess will allow you to swap out a passenger on a booking as long as original passenger1 or 2 remains on the booking(you cannot change both passengers)

I just did this for my upcoming 14 day sailing, 2 weeks before sail date. There was no fee from Princess to change the name for passenger2. Since I used a TA, I had to have my travel agent process/request the change. In my case, the new passenger2 wanted to use a FCD and he was able, because he had one dated before my booking date of the cruise. This caused an overpayment situation and Princess refunded the $100 overpayment to me.

The cut off to add/swap is probably pretty close to sail date, Princess or your TA can verify, but I will guess about 2-5 days before sailing.

if you are leaning on swapping, and are flying, do ASAP so the ‘new’ passenger can secure airfare before fares skyrocket closer to sailing.

If no one replaces,  so passenger is a ‘no show’, the Govt taxes and fees are returned/refunded.

1 minute ago, Leeag said:

Thanks for all the advice, it will be for non covered reason & the room mate that is going has already paid the full room cost.

There may be additional cost. Make sure the cancellation is before the end of the 25% penalty period. Then the person cancelling will receive cash refund for taxes and fees, excursions, and 75% of the cruise fare. Would also receive FCC for the 25% penalty if covered by Princess Vacation Protection. The passenger traveling would then need to pay the additional single supplement. You need to talk with Princess or your travel agent immediately (before the end of the 25% penalty period).

As long as one person in the room stays the same, name changes are allowed up to a few days before sailing.  Won't work if the room only had one person originally in it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LeeW said:

As long as one person in the room stays the same, name changes are allowed up to a few days before sailing.  Won't work if the room only had one person originally in it.

Under this theoretical scenario would it not (unless it was a single cabin) be possible to simply add a second passenger without additional fare being required but possibly moderate admin charge then at quayside a "no show" for the original traveller facilitate a cruise for the one newcomer alone?

Regards John

12 hours ago, john watson said:

Under this theoretical scenario would it not (unless it was a single cabin) be possible to simply add a second passenger without additional fare being required but possibly moderate admin charge then at quayside a "no show" for the original traveller facilitate a cruise for the one newcomer alone?

Regards John

OP wanted to replace a person that was not sailing.  They didn't say if it was a single in a cabin, but the title of the thread says "cabin mate," so I assume it was replacing one person in a cabin with several people booked in it.  Not adding an additional passenger as far as I can tell.  In US a name change may just have a $50 charge or may not.  Can't be done at pier as far as I know - needs to be done a few days before cruise.