Scooter recommendations

I cruise often and I’m looking for advice on scooters. Which scooter do you own and what are the pros and cons you see for your scooter. Thanks for any help. 

16 hours ago, flymeaway said:

I cruise often and I’m looking for advice on scooters. Which scooter do you own and what are the pros and cons you see for your scooter. Thanks for any help. 

I have a Travelscoot Escape. Pros : super lightweight 15kg including the battery, approved for airlines, folds easily and fits in the car boot, and 53cm wide so fits in many standard cabins of those cruise lines that allow it. Solid tyres so no punctures. 

Cons : super lightweight and solid tyres and therefore less comfortable than larger ones. 

23 hours ago, flymeaway said:

Thank you so much for your help!

I also have a Travelscoot and it is my second one.   Very sturdy and problem free in about 6 years of ownership.  I got the second one just to make sure I would not have any problems.   I sold the first one  to someone else.

It even fits into our smaller Kia Soul SUV without having to fold it down.   I can lift it myself when I have to.   I have travelled all over the world with the Travelscoot and in India I drew crowds because they had never seen a scooter like mine.   I highly recommend it for travelling.   As someone else said it is not as comfy as something bigger.

I can drive my scooter to the door of the plane and it gets taken down below to the hold with the wheelchairs and strollers and brought back to the door of the plane when we land. 

I can drive with my right hand and roll my carry-on suitcase beside me with my left hand.  I can also put a small suitcase underneath the seat

Check out the Travelscoot web site.  Lots of good info.

I have a Travelscoot deluxe and an Atto sport. Both lightweight folding 3 wheel scooters but very different.  I like them both, and take both on cruises. The Atto generally stays aboard, the Travelscoot often goes ashore, it's much lighter and easier to lift up kerbs and steps etc, a bit less comfortable to ride though. The Atto is very modern and relatively comfortable, twice as heavy but still only 30kg and it splits in two for extra lightness!  I like them both, very handy aids you kind of rely on very quickly. Travelscoot particularly has some very active forums, there will be an owner living near you who would be happy to let you try their machine out. They're not for everyone, you do need to have pretty good balance to use one properly and ideally be able to walk a bit, but if thats you  they are marvelous things. I've no idea of your build, but Travelscoots particularly are popular with people who are pretty heavy, they are very strong even with their light weight and can carry very heavy loads. They have a surprising range, and are very well engineered machines with good manufacturer back up.

This is how my travelscoot packs down, the seat is still to go in but that's how it folds. The Atto and TS together,  and a Puerto Rican taxi who didn't want to waste time taking the seat off and putting it in the trunk, just lower the tiller bar and put it inside. Time is money!

20240212_113749.jpg

20240207_103854.jpg

20240127_213413.jpg

I have a Buzzaround Carryon.  I feel like the 4 week models are more stable.  It's closer to a regular scooter in feel than some of the ultralight models.   The base is still 50lbs, it's a little heavier with the seat.  I usually detach the seat when I'm stowing it.  It folds to the size of a large suitcase without the seat.  It's a little taller with the seat still attached, but not bad.  

It still has a great turning radius and worked really well on a cruise and also for any other long day that I previously would have rented a scooter.  It's been life changing for the things I would have avoided (like a trip to the mall with my teens) and now I can do because it's easy to get into and out of my car.

The main con was that the battery that came with mine was too large for the FAA.  I ended up getting two smaller batteries (which come with a carryon bag for flights).  I think if I knew what I needed, I could have ordered a model with the smaller battery. The only other con is that I thought I could carryon the seat portion on planes, but, even though it folds, it did not fit in an overhead compartment.  When I attached the seat when gate checking the scooter, it was detached when I got it back.  I'm not sure that was intentional or unintentional.  I've since just asked for them to be tagged separately, but I'm still always a little worried that the seat won't make it up with the scooter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Pride GoGo Elite Traveller 3-wheeled scooter. PRO’s, I am able to drive it into our cabin turn it around, and drive it out. It also comes apart in 5 pieces when we need to put it in the car. CON’s, I chose the longer distance battery, and it’s very heavy. It’s the heaviest part of the scooter. I hope to order the lower capacity battery eventually.

I have a Solax scooter, I think the brand is Transformer.  It automatically folds up to the size of a medium suitcase.  It's been fine in trunks, back seats, by us on buses, etc. etc. etc.  So: 

Pros:  I've yet to find a situation that people weren't happy to accommodate this scooter because of how nicely it folds up.  It's fairly comfortable.  It has a width of 17" so it fits into narrow cabin doors and we don't get the accessible cabin.  

Cons:  It has a HORRIBLE turning radius.  In some disney type up and down lines they don't let me go through and I'm stuck making five or six tries to turn every corner.  Also, doesn't have a great mileage range.  We always carry the charger cord with us just in case.  

I hear you about trying to get into the room when your partner isn't there.  With the Solax, I can fold her up and drag her kind of like a suitcase into the room.  

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are going on a Mediterranean cruise next year, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using mobility scooters. My wife has trouble walking for long distances due to two knee replacements. The mobility scooters that the cruise line (NCL) recommends are very big and bulky and don't really fold up at all. So I'm wondering how you handle it if you have to get up on a bus or in a cab.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can rent or buy very small, compact and foldable scooter? I'll even buy it here if I have to and just take it over there with us

1 hour ago, Peterkronenberg said:

My wife and I are going on a Mediterranean cruise next year, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using mobility scooters. My wife has trouble walking for long distances due to two knee replacements. The mobility scooters that the cruise line (NCL) recommends are very big and bulky and don't really fold up at all. So I'm wondering how you handle it if you have to get up on a bus or in a cab.

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can rent or buy very small, compact and foldable scooter? I'll even buy it here if I have to and just take it over there with us

My wife has used a TravelScoot on several cruises.  The one caveat (according to her) is that it is not as stable as the bigger ones, so care needs to be taken (and experience counts!).  It has an airplane legal Lithium battery so her range is (as I joke) further than I can walk in a day!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fusion927 said:

My wife has used a TravelScoot on several cruises.  The one caveat (according to her) is that it is not as stable as the bigger ones, so care needs to be taken (and experience counts!).  It has an airplane legal Lithium battery so her range is (as I joke) further than I can walk in a day!

Thanks.  Have you taken it on tour buses or cabs?  Does it fold down quickly?  Easy to carry onto a bus?

1 hour ago, Peterkronenberg said:

Thanks.  Have you taken it on tour buses or cabs?  Does it fold down quickly?  Easy to carry onto a bus?

Yes to both.  It can go in the luggage area of most tour buses (we often need to lower the handlebars and turn the seat over.  Tour vans are hit and miss if we have to disassemble it, depending on the luggage area size and # of people.

We have taken it on cabs.  It's easier if we get a minivan (or bigger) since we don't need to do anything but put it in.  We have taken it apart (around 1 minute or 2) to put it in smaller cabs (think Prius).

The only thing we haven't yet tried are tender ports.  Our next cruise in November has 3 tender ports, so we will find out if it can happen.  Assuming the weather is good, it shouldn't be an issue because it's so light!

As an aside, we originally got it because at the time it was the only one we could find that would fit in the trunk of our 2020 (C8) Corvette.  

• Like 1

I've been looking around and I can't seem to find any place that rents the TravelScoot, other than in Germany.  Are there any places in the United States that will rent them (or even better, deliver and pick up from my cruise port)

8 hours ago, Peterkronenberg said:

I've been looking around and I can't seem to find any place that rents the TravelScoot, other than in Germany.  Are there any places in the United States that will rent them (or even better, deliver and pick up from my cruise port)

There is nowhere in US that hires them out. They have been around a lot of years with only 2 or 3 upgrades and all parts for all models are still available so if you do see a used one it won't be unsupported in parts. The basic structure is very well built and will last an almost infinite time, it seems relatively costly new, but it is a well engineered machine built of top quality materials. They have several very active forums in US and Europe and there will be someone living in your area that will let you try theirs out to see if it's for you.

The user needs to have basic balance and spatial awareness, it's a three wheeler and does need a bit of body weight shifting on slopes fore and aft as well as port and starboard. Not difficult, almost unconscious if you have balance, potentially dangerous if you don't. It's really good for people who can walk and stand a bit, but not much and it's light enough to be lifted up kerbs and stairs etc.

It is an outstanding machine if you fit what it's built for, designed by a German chap who knocked himself about crashing his small plane and needed to be able to get about again, there are pictures of them towing suitcases and trailers with a passenger on. The designer clearly wasn't put off flying as I've seen a photo of him putting a folded early model in the side locker of a small plane, apparently it was one of his design essentials.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 7:47 PM, flymeaway said:

28th July 2024.

Hello, my husband has a mobility scooter which folds up, with a small key. At home we have a hoist in the boot of the car, on cruises, we ask for an accessible suite and the scooter is folded and put in the corner, usually being charged overnight, it has a lithium battery. We have flown a lot with it, and taken it on cruises. Its a matter of personal preference, we have met people with large scooters which can go in the road, but have to be taken apart when putting it into the car. Hope this helps. Happy Sailing from Arlette and Murray Rose (Lady of the Nile)