TELEHEALTH Appt on Celebration with Premium WIFI

We will have the premium WIFI on the Celebration leaving this Sunday. We have an urgent need to do a Telehealth appt on Monday. Has anyone been able to do something like this on the Celebration?

5 hours ago, Lopsyl88 said:

We will have the premium WIFI on the Celebration leaving this Sunday. We have an urgent need to do a Telehealth appt on Monday. Has anyone been able to do something like this on the Celebration?

The only thing I can tell you is that I was able to do google meet with my husband nearly every night while on the Jubilee. I was also able to do video chats to my husband on the Celebration on the transatlantic so in theory yes you should be able to do a telehealth BUT, you cannot tell your physicians office you are out of state- their MD license is most likely for that state only which means your insurance will not pay for the visit and the physician may cancel the visit immediately so keep your location on the low down.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Lopsyl88 said:

I did a telehealth appt with my PCP last May on Celebration. I had the social media package for the cruise, but upgraded for one day to the premium to help with the appointment . I had zero issues with the session, lasted about 15 minute.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Prometheus1 said:

BUT, you cannot tell your physicians office you are out of state- their MD license is most likely for that state only which means your insurance will not pay for the visit and the physician may cancel the visit immediately so keep your location on the low down.

I am not sure if that's accurate? That's a question, not a statement. We stopped going to physical doctors offices about 10 years ago and have done strictly teledoc since. I've had MDs from all over the country each time. In fact, I am not sure if I have ever even had a doctor from my own state when doing it. We used it last year while in Miami Beach and had an RX sent to the Walgreens next to our hotel. They never questioned us being out of state or anything. 

I would imagine they would be on a multi-state or national license. My wife is an RN and has a multistate license. I'm not sure how the licensing works for MDs?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have telehealth with my physician in Florida and she always asks if Im in Florida, says i cant be out out state so maybe it just depends on the particular physician.

Edited by Prometheus1

1 hour ago, Prometheus1 said:

I have telehealth with my physician in Florida and she always asks if Im in Florida, says i cant be out out state so maybe it just depends on the particular physician.

That sounds like you're using an app specific to your physicians office. If that's the case, then that'd make sense.

The national apps like Dr on Demand and Teladoc, you get different MDs throughout the country each time and aren't asked where you are. They do ask where you need an RX sent to, but that's it. 

2 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

That sounds like you're using an app specific to your physicians office. If that's the case, then that'd make sense.

The national apps like Dr on Demand and Teladoc, you get different MDs throughout the country each time and aren't asked where you are. They do ask where you need an RX sent to, but that's it. 

Thats pretty awesome actually. We travel in our RV so good info!

1 minute ago, Prometheus1 said:

Thats pretty awesome actually. We travel in our RV so good info!

It's handy to have, that's for sure. Like I said earlier, it's been over 10 years since we've been to a physical doctors office. I just used it this past weekend because I had a cracked tooth that was infected. They sent me in some abx. 

Also check with each one because prices vary but they all accept insurance. Your insurance will likely work at either one, you just need to check them out. 

• Thanks 1

The rule has to do with licensing.  Physicians have to be licensed in the state where they are providing the service and with virtual appointments, that is where the patient is located at the time of the visit.  The insurance companies could care less.  If the physician gets sued, the were technically practicing without a license.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2024 at 9:16 AM, teknoge3k said:

I am not sure if that's accurate? That's a question, not a statement. We stopped going to physical doctors offices about 10 years ago and have done strictly teledoc since. I've had MDs from all over the country each time. In fact, I am not sure if I have ever even had a doctor from my own state when doing it. We used it last year while in Miami Beach and had an RX sent to the Walgreens next to our hotel. They never questioned us being out of state or anything. 

I would imagine they would be on a multi-state or national license. My wife is an RN and has a multistate license. I'm not sure how the licensing works for MDs?

My daughter tried to use it in Italy, it was a no go. ETA it was Spain.

Edited by mjkacmom

28 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My daughter tried to use it in Italy, it was a no go. ETA it was Spain.

I've used it in various states, never out of the country. 

On 6/28/2024 at 8:16 AM, teknoge3k said:

It's accurate. I am a telehealth provider and the patient NEEDS to be in the state that the provider is licensed in...So, I am licensed in North Dakota and my client NEEDS to be in North Dakota. If they are in South Dakota, even a mile across the border, I cannot see them due to not being licensed in South Dakota. 

Also, as a telehealth provider who cruises...be careful when you lie to your provider. I know what cruise ship rooms look like 😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, crazycatlady82 said:

It's accurate. I am a telehealth provider and the patient NEEDS to be in the state that the provider is licensed in...So, I am licensed in North Dakota and my client NEEDS to be in North Dakota. If they are in South Dakota, even a mile across the border, I cannot see them due to not being licensed in South Dakota. 

Also, as a telehealth provider who cruises...be careful when you lie to your provider. I know what cruise ship rooms look like 😉

That's interesting. Not doubting anything you say. Just curious, I have used teledoc for over 10 years for all 4 people in my family. None of us have ever had a MD from Virginia or North Carolina. They have been all over the country. The reference I used earlier when we used it in Miami Beach, the MD wasn't in Florida. Are you using a national company like Dr. on Demand or Teladoc or are you using something specific to your healthcare system? 

I wouldn't use the service on a ship, because there wouldn't be anywhere for the MD to send in an RX to. I've used it before/after though!

Posted (edited)

Just get your sick note for work before you leave home on your cruise. Then you won't have to worry about connectivity issues.

Edited by stobe1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

That's interesting. Not doubting anything you say. Just curious, I have used teledoc for over 10 years for all 4 people in my family. None of us have ever had a MD from Virginia or North Carolina. They have been all over the country. The reference I used earlier when we used it in Miami Beach, the MD wasn't in Florida. Are you using a national company like Dr. on Demand or Teladoc or are you using something specific to your healthcare system? 

I wouldn't use the service on a ship, because there wouldn't be anywhere for the MD to send in an RX to. I've used it before/after though!

Yes, I work for a large national company. It doesn’t matter where the provider is-I know providers who live in one state but are licensed in another state-they are supposed to only see people in the state they are licensed to practice in. During Covid, there were some agreements to provide services to states that ended more providers than they had, but some of those compact agreements have expired. There are some states that have agreements that state you do not have to be licensed in them to provide telehealth services but licensure may say otherwise. Every season that I have, I confirm their physical location due to any potential emergencies. 

https://telehealth.hhs.gov/licensure/licensing-across-state-lines

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 6:12 AM, crazycatlady82 said:

Yes, I work for a large national company. It doesn’t matter where the provider is-I know providers who live in one state but are licensed in another state-they are supposed to only see people in the state they are licensed to practice in. During Covid, there were some agreements to provide services to states that ended more providers than they had, but some of those compact agreements have expired. There are some states that have agreements that state you do not have to be licensed in them to provide telehealth services but licensure may say otherwise. Every season that I have, I confirm their physical location due to any potential emergencies. 

https://telehealth.hhs.gov/licensure/licensing-across-state-lines

I manage a large physician group and this is definitely the law.  Companies like teladoc license their providers in multiple states.  It's a great idea but very expensive and difficult to maneuver the various CME and licensure requirements.