Chef’s Table on Journey July 21, 2024

shootingstar07

Yesterday I disembarked The Journey from a Croatia intensive Cruise. By the time I got to Prime C to book the Chef’s table, the only option available was the last night’s Arabic menu.  My group of 6 were pleasantly surprised at how good it was.  I am including a few pictures.  We all agreed that the prawns were the best. Other favorites were the lentil soup, shish kabob entree and the coat cheese parfait.  I highly recommend it. 
the one negative, the table is in the front of PrimeC. The noise from other patrons at the bar was distracting. 

IMG_1821.jpeg

IMG_1823.jpeg

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1829.jpeg

IMG_1832.jpeg

IMG_1835.jpeg

IMG_1840.jpeg

IMG_1844.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

I was also surprised how good the Arabic Chef's Table was the first time I tried it.  The sommelier has more freedom to choose wines from anywhere in the world, increasing their choices.  I highly recommend it also.  Glad you enjoyed it!

The bar noisier than the Chef's table?  That's a first.  Normally, the Chef's tables are too rambunctious and get louder as the wine starts to flow, and it's the Prime C tables that complain about the noise.

Edited by Dynacruiser
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dynacruiser said:

The bar noisier than the Chef's table?  That's a first.  Normally, the Chef's tables are too rambunctious and get louder as the wine starts to flow, and it's the Prime C tables that complain about the noise.

I found that being at the front of Prime C, it was difficult hearing the Chef or sommelier when they were talking about the dishes and/or wine pairings.  I can well imagine it was a two way street and those looking for a special dinner would be distracted by all the commotion at a large chef’s table.  Too bad there isn’t a more intimate place to host a chef’s table so that both groups can equally enjoy their upcharged dinners. 

• Like 3

Last time we were at Prime C, a single-family group with several young boys was at the Chef's Table. The boys running around the table and in and out of the room were noisy and distracting, but the parents ignored them. We always go early before the bar gets too noisy.

• Like 1

Arabic was and remains our favorite Chef's Table (have done it 3x). 

Only better was a "Marco Polo" Dinner that was done right after the restart, which was our best Specialty Dining experience on Azamara by far.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Arabic was and remains our favorite Chef's Table (have done it 3x). 

Only better was a "Marco Polo" Dinner that was done right after the restart, which was our best Specialty Dining experience on Azamara by far.

Yet the names "French" and "Italian" are booked first.  I can understand it, I was like that, and avoided Chef's tables that had other designations.  Until I tried Arabic.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

What did the Chef’s table cost per person? Do suite guests have to pay the full price?

It was $125\pp. I don’t know about the cost if you are in a suite. Sadly, I wasn’t in a suite.  ☺️ Hopefully someone else can answer that question for you.  

46 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

What did the Chef’s table cost per person? Do suite guests have to pay the full price?

You can also get a package, even including 3 Chef's Tables if they have them, you can find the package prices by searching here in cruisecritic or on Azamara website.

Suite guests pay full price.  You will see many people on every cruise trying to convince Guest Relations or the Food Manager that suites shouldn't pay full price, it's been like that for years.  No discount based on loyalty status either.

Of course, if you are staying in one of the most expensive Owner or the Ocean suites, you will then get your own Chef's-Table-on-steroids with the slightly snobbish name of "Best of the Best"🤔

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dynacruiser said:

You can also get a package, even including 3 Chef's Tables if they have them, you can find the package prices by searching here in cruisecritic or on Azamara website.

Suite guests pay full price.  You will see many people on every cruise trying to convince Guest Relations or the Food Manager that suites shouldn't pay full price, it's been like that for years.  No discount based on loyalty status either.

Of course, if you are staying in one of the most expensive Owner or the Ocean suites, you will then get your own Chef's-Table-on-steroids with the slightly snobbish name of "Best of the Best"🤔

What is “Best of the Best”. I am staying in an Owners Suite.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

What is “Best of the Best”. I am staying in an Owners Suite.

Dinner with the ~20 guests from the most expensive suites (Owner/Ocean) and 6 or 10 officers, with an army of >10 waitstaff, paired wines.  They will tell you when it is a day or so after boarding.  

Arguably, they serve the "best" food and "best" wines available on board, with their "best" people, to the "best" guests (???).  You'll get plenty of food and wine.   Menu is different each time, up to the Chef and sommelier.   Like I said, it's like a Chef's table on steroids.

Please make sure you throw some table scraps out the window for us mere mortals who don't get invited.😪

Edited by Dynacruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

We were also on the OP's cruise and didn't eat at the Chef's Table. On a previous cruise, we had dinner at Prime C on a table close to the entrance and the noise from the Chef's Table far outweighed anything else. 

I note from the menu, that it says Pula, Greece, a bit of a basic error, but then the itinerary booklet in our cabins on arrival described the cruise as Greece Intensive, a mistake corrected a few days later by delivery of a new booklet correctly entitled Croatia Intensive. Being a bit of a nerd when it comes to detail, I also noted that one (there may have been more) of the ship guide boards near the aft lift described the shop as Pursuit rather than Journey. None of these 'issues' detracted from a great cruise, though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dynacruiser said:

Dinner with the ~20 guests from the most expensive suites (Owner/Ocean) and 6 or 10 officers, with an army of >10 waitstaff, paired wines.  They will tell you when it is a day or so after boarding.  

Arguably, they serve the "best" food and "best" wines available on board, with their "best" people, to the "best" guests (???).  You'll get plenty of food and wine.   Menu is different each time, up to the Chef and sommelier.   Like I said, it's like a Chef's table on steroids.

Please make sure you throw some table scraps out the window for us mere mortals who don't get invited.😪

Thank you.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Dynacruiser said:

Oh boy, I can't wait to hear my wife complain, "when does this end?"  Many years ago I booked us a 12 course paired dinner at a five star restaurant. That was her comment.  roflmao. The wines kept being poured until the next course.

I personally enjoyed it immensely.  You should have seen our friend's expression when he got his check at the end.  That was priceless.  It was much more costly than the Chef's table. But he could afford it.  He was an attorney with a boat named "Policy Limits".

BTW Dynacruiser, you don't have to be the best people to get invited, you just have to be willing to spend your kid's inheritance. 😁

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3