Traveling to the port with a kid and luggage

Tina80

My kid and I will be taking the train from Roma termini to Civitavecchia then take the bus to the port so we get to the cruise ship.

Upon returning, we will be taking the bus from the port to Civitavecchia then to Roma termini then to Milan Centrale.

I have already purchased our tickets for the first portion of this trip and selected our seats on the train. Have not purchased our tickets for the second portion of the trip to go to Milan.

My question is how do we ensure the luggage will be safe at all times and if there is anything (like taking a cab or something) to facilitate this knowing I have a kid with me. Will we be able to store the luggage next to us since we have selected our seats? 

Any info will be much appreciated

Posted (edited)

It depends on how much luggage you have.  You will certainly be able to store some of it near you, but if you have large bags you may need to leave them in the storage area at the end of the car.  If you are worried about theft you can take a bicycle chain lock and secure the bag to the shelving racks or to each other, if you have more than one bag.

Edited by euro cruiser

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

It depends on how much luggage you have.  You will certainly be able to store some of it near you, but if you have large bags you may need to leave them in the storage area at the end of the car.  If you are worried about theft you can take a bicycle chain lock and secure the bag to the shelving racks or to each other, if you have more than one bag.

Thanks much, this is a great idea. If we bring one large suitcase, will there usually be room next toour assigned seats?

Posted (edited)

I would think with  one large suitcase you would be less likely to find storage near your seat. Smaller bags can usually go on luggage racks above the seat.  Difficult really to know what to advise because I don’t know the age of the kid.  if the child is still in a buggy then you’re going to struggle with a large suitcase. If the child is able to trundle their own suitcase, then you’re better off.  

I always think that traveling with the least amount of luggage possible is always the way to go.  take a capsule wardrobe and don’t be that person struggling up and down pavements. 

I hope that helps.

Edited by ollienbertsmum

4 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I would think with  one large suitcase you would be less likely to find storage near your seat. Smaller bags can usually go on luggage racks above the seat.  Difficult really to know what to advise because I don’t know the age of the kid.  if the child is still in a buggy then you’re going to struggle with a large suitcase. If the child is able to trundle their own suitcase, then you’re better off.  

I always think that traveling with the least amount of luggage possible is always the way to go.  take a capsule wardrobe and don’t be that person struggling up and down pavements. 

I hope that helps.

Thanks much, very helpful. My daughter is 9, so maybe we can just each take a wheeled travel bag with us? It would be for a two week trip (10 days of cruise + a couple of days in Rome and Milan). 

59 minutes ago, Tina80 said:

Thanks much, very helpful. My daughter is 9, so maybe we can just each take a wheeled travel bag with us? It would be for a two week trip (10 days of cruise + a couple of days in Rome and Milan). 

I think most 9 yr olds can cope with wheeling luggage.  I would try the suitcase before you purchase.  Also my preference for city travel is a two wheel case.  I find it much easier to go up and down curbs than four wheelers.  For me the latter are for moving around ships and airports.  

I am sure there are those that will disagree.  A couple of days in Rome and Milan is a great treat for your daughter.  I hope she is taking part in the planning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I think most 9 yr olds can cope with wheeling luggage.  I would try the suitcase before you purchase.  Also my preference for city travel is a two wheel case.  I find it much easier to go up and down curbs than four wheelers.  For me the latter are for moving around ships and airports.  

I am sure there are those that will disagree.  A couple of days in Rome and Milan is a great treat for your daughter.  I hope she is taking part in the planning. 

Thank you for your great and helpful reply. She and I are both excited, good tip regarding the two wheels vs 4. I really appreciated.

If money isn't much of an issue, I have, on occasion, purchased the seat next to me on a train when I feared that luggage storage might be an issue.  With proper planning, a trip of this distance is not all that expensive.  That way I don't feel so guilty putting my bag on the seat beside me or on the floor blocking someone from sitting there.

12 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

If money isn't much of an issue, I have, on occasion, purchased the seat next to me on a train when I feared that luggage storage might be an issue.  With proper planning, a trip of this distance is not all that expensive.  That way I don't feel so guilty putting my bag on the seat beside me or on the floor blocking someone from sitting there.

That is a brilliant idea, I wish I had thought of that when I purchased my Roma Tremini to Civ. Porto tickets. But I guess it's not too late for the Civ. Port to Milan tickets.

What would you usually do on the bus (from Civ. to Civ. Porto)?

Posted (edited)

After our recent cruise we got the train from Bologna to Milan on a Frecciarossa train. We travel with two 55cm/22inch suitcases plus hand luggage. We were able to easily fit the suitcases in the overhead luggage rack and put our hand luggage on the floor under our legs.

We saw many people struggling with large suitcases on the trains in Italy. Not only getting them on and off the trains but also trying to store them as the large luggage racks at the ends of the carriage were already full when we boarded the trains and the suitcases were too large for the overhead luggage racks. Two small suitcases may be better than one large suitcase. Our suitcases have two wheels which we find easier to use in Europe particularly on cobblestones. As previously mentioned try before you buy. 

Hope you both have a wonderful trip! 

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

After our recent cruise we got the train from Bologna to Milan on a Frecciarossa train. We travel with two 55cm/23inch suitcases plus hand luggage. We were able to easily fit the suitcases in the luggage rack over our heads and put our hand luggage on the floor under our legs.

We saw many people struggling with large suitcases on the trains in Italy. Not only getting them on and off the trains but also trying to store them as the large luggage racks at the ends of the carriage were already full when we boarded the trains. Two small suitcases may be better than one large suitcase. Our suitcases have two wheels which we find easier to use in Europe particularly on cobblestones. As previously mentioned try before you buy. 

Hope you both have a wonderful trip! 

Very helpful, thank you. I should really just get the size you mentioned. Hopefully I can fit our clothes in them (2 weeks worth since I am not sure how laundry situation goes in cruise).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Tina80 said:

Very helpful, thank you. I should really just get the size you mentioned. Hopefully I can fit our clothes in them (2 weeks worth since I am not sure how laundry situation goes in cruise).

We travelled for six weeks with our small suitcases. We did have to wash along the way but we take clothes that can be hand washed and dry overnight. I think you will be surprised as to how much you can fit in a small suitcase (as long as you don't take lots of shoes 😄). Of course it is easier if travelling in summer with lightweight clothes. Ours also expand so you could look for suitcases that are small but that you can expand one or both if needed. I am a great believer in travelling as light as possible to make your life easier when using transport such as trains or buses. If you use backpacks for your hand luggage that may be easier for your daughter to manage with a small suitcase.

This is our luggage for our six week trip. 

IMG_20240802_084531.thumb.jpg.18612862be822fcb49f38a9a26b1f264.jpg

Edited by PurpleTraveller

21 minutes ago, Tina80 said:

NCL will offer a laundry special about halfway thru the cruise (ask your room steward). They give you a paper bag about the size of a pillowcase. Fill it with your dirty laundry and it will come back clean and folded the same day or next, $30.  If you roll or neatly fold your clothes, you can squeeze a lot into the bag.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tina80 said:

That is a brilliant idea, I wish I had thought of that when I purchased my Roma Tremini to Civ. Porto tickets. But I guess it's not too late for the Civ. Port to Milan tickets.

I only have taken that bus once.  I was lucky enough to be one of the first on the bus when it arrived.  So I got on with my big bag and staked my claim on my space.  The bus then filled up as others got on with their bags.  When the bus was full, we drove to the ship.   There was another bus waiting to pull up and start filling.  There was a manageable line of people taking turns to get on the bus.  It was more of a shuttle service bus. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

2 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I only have taken that bus once.  I was lucky enough to be one of the first on the bus when it arrived.  So I got on with my big bag and staked my claim on my space.  The bus then filled up as others got on with their bags.  When the bus was full, we drove to the ship.   There was another bus waiting to pull up and start filling.  There was a manageable line of people taking turns to get on the bus.  It was more of a shuttle service bus. 

Perfect,thank you, very helpful

3 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

NCL will offer a laundry special about halfway thru the cruise (ask your room steward). They give you a paper bag about the size of a pillowcase. Fill it with your dirty laundry and it will come back clean and folded the same day or next, $30.  If you roll or neatly fold your clothes, you can squeeze a lot into the bag.

Oh thank you! This is wonderful. I probably should find out before I start packing for this trip to see if RC offers the same service!

3 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

We travelled for six weeks with our small suitcases. We did have to wash along the way but we take clothes that can be hand washed and dry overnight. I think you will be surprised as to how much you can fit in a small suitcase (as long as you don't take lots of shoes 😄). Of course it is easier if travelling in summer with lightweight clothes. Ours also expand so you could look for suitcases that are small but that you can expand one or both if needed. I am a great believer in travelling as light as possible to make your life easier when using transport such as trains or buses. If you use backpacks for your hand luggage that may be easier for your daughter to manage with a small suitcase.

This is our luggage for our six week trip. 

IMG_20240802_084531.thumb.jpg.18612862be822fcb49f38a9a26b1f264.jpg

Thank you so much, I tend to pack only one pair of shoes but clothes for each day so we never had to wash anything, maybe I can try packing light this time 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Just looked it up and looks like RC offers the same service: "

For safety concerns self-service laundry facilities are not provided onboard our ships, but we do offer washing, pressing and dry cleaning services. We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

We also run wash and fold specials during the voyage. This is an additional service offered beyond our regular laundry service. Guests can now send smaller clothing items to be washed and folded for the fixed amount of $34.99 per bag. Fit as much as you can into the bag provided for you and we'll take care of the rest. Please ask your stateroom attendant for more information. Availability may vary.

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice."

6 hours ago, Tina80 said:

I have done the shuttle twice from Civitavecchia train station to the ship. Both times everyone put their luggage in the area with no seats that wheelchair or mobility scooter users would use as there was no one in a wheelchair or mobility scooter. (Obviously that wouldn't happen if there was a wheelchair or mobility scooter user on the bus.)

The last time on June 25 the bus was only half full so there was heaps of room. The time before the bus was full so everyone just organised the large suitcases at the bottom and put the smaller suitcases on top.