Cabin under theater noise trouble?

grouchomarx

I will be on a b2b in December on the Bliss and got an inside cabin that is directly under the theater.  I am not in my cabin during the day and generally stay out into the hours of about 10-11pm at night.  Any chance there will be noise issues or I should be ok?  I’m not a napper but I might want to sleep late some days (or most days).  I heard they do rehearsals that can be heard from below but do they start really early in the morning?  I will pack earplugs but just wanted to be prepared.  I once had a cabin under a pool deck on Royal and man that was rough in the wee hours.  

Perfect timing for your post.... I am wondering the same thing. I will have a room just over the stage area on the Gem. I would think that early in the day it wouldn't be TOO noisy. I mean... if they are holding people for shore excursions then yes, it will be used early in the morning. But that isn't anywhere near as loud as the shows can be. But unlike you... I am an early riser and don't stay up particularly late... so I am wondering about the late evening shows. By 10 pm I know I will be falling asleep! Yes... even on a cruise. But at home I wake up at 3am, so sleeping until 6 IS sleeping in for me! The rest of the day I won't spend much time in the cabin either. 

Any cabin immediately above or below a public venue/area can have potential noise issues.  When the theatre is being used and how loud will vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing.

Whether the volume or timing will impact you is impossible to predict.  

You just have to be ready for the possibility of being disturbed or select a different cabin located elsewhere.

I've had cabins above (or below, can't recall) the theatre.  Yes, I was able to hear the rhythms of loud music playing in the theatre.  I could not hear specific words or sounds, but more of a rumbled beat.  The only time I heard this was during the late show each evening.  I'm not a late night person, so I would attend the early show and then head to bed. So I got to hear the thump-thump of the second show.  But it didn't stop me from falling asleep.  However, It might prevent some people from sleeping.

If you're out and about until 10-11pm each night, you likely will only hear part or none of this type of noise.  If there was practice sessions during the day, I never heard them because I was either off ship or out running around on the ship.  No big deal for me.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I've had cabins above (or below, can't recall) the theatre.  Yes, I was able to hear the rhythms of loud music playing in the theatre.  I could not hear specific words or sounds, but more of a rumbled beat.  The only time I heard this was during the late show each evening.  I'm not a late night person, so I would attend the early show and then head to bed. So I got to hear the thump-thump of the second show.  But it didn't stop me from falling asleep.  However, It might prevent some people from sleeping.

If you're out and about until 10-11pm each night, you likely will only hear part or none of this type of noise.  If there was practice sessions during the day, I never heard them because I was either off ship or out running around on the ship.  No big deal for me.

Thank you! I should be fine then. I live behind a high school and often go to sleep with the band rehearsals and football games going on... sounds like those are MUCH louder than the theater noise. I also read some reviews for some nearby rooms on the Gem which said noise wasn't really an issue. I would think my room will be fine since it is nearer the front of the ship, so kind of towards the backstage wings. Sound is amplified forward from the stage into the audience, not back stage. I will still bring some earplugs just in case! I can't complain too much though, this in an upgrade from the room I was originally going to get, and I specifically asked to be away from the stairs. I did NOT want to be relegated to deck 5... and there were no options for suites below and above other than deck 5 for this particular stateroom type/category.

On 9/15/2024 at 9:13 PM, grouchomarx said:

I will be on a b2b in December on the Bliss and got an inside cabin that is directly under the theater.  I am not in my cabin during the day and generally stay out into the hours of about 10-11pm at night.  Any chance there will be noise issues or I should be ok?  I’m not a napper but I might want to sleep late some days (or most days).  I heard they do rehearsals that can be heard from below but do they start really early in the morning?  I will pack earplugs but just wanted to be prepared.  I once had a cabin under a pool deck on Royal and man that was rough in the wee hours.  

You will hear the reverberating bass if they are in the theater. We have had rooms above the theater and it never bothered us. But, depending on the ship's schedule, they rehearse in off hours (i.e., early mornings). Neither Jersey Boys or Icons have elaborate sets, so there would be limited set up noises at night. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You will hear the reverberating bass if they are in the theater. We have had rooms above the theater and it never bothered us. But, depending on the ship's schedule, they rehearse in off hours (i.e., early mornings). Neither Jersey Boys or Icons have elaborate sets, so there would be limited set up noises at night. 

I think I could handle that.  I have no choice, the only solo insides that are a reasonable price are deck 5 and that whole deck has a lot of stuff going on so I’ll just stick with what I have and bring some good earplugs.  Maybe it’ll help me get up early for once!

• Like 1