The table from Hell!

u4ea

Haven't you noticed? I've been "all wet" for a long time already!:D You meet the nicest people in the water:)

(Piet Hein, Piet Hein,

Piet Hein zijn naam is klein.....) Now I'm being totally silly...you know I just may be the tablemate from heck..:eek: Hey, New Mexico Nita, John's a jolly Dutchman, absolutely no harm in him!

Shhhh, I've got to go to work tomorrow! "Jolly Dutchman" won't work there:D and quit singing songs about Dutch naval war heroes

Not a problem;) When you compose your post, you'll find them in the column to your right - just click on them :mad: and they'll appear!:eek: :p
ok and I make up my mind to enjoy all my table mates even if they only, collectively say 250 words (4 of them ) in one week or tell everyone what great deals they get on pricing even if we know it isn't for real:I promise to be good: and I don't see anything to the right......

middle-aged mom, #121

We'll have that extra seat at a table for six, so if perchance Tom C shows up, we'd gladly invite him to dine.
If that were to happen, I hope you would find me to be a jolly, kind companion. I'm more of a listener than a talker, but can hold my own in a conversation.

I promise to be good: and I don't see anything to the right......
Most of the three branches of government, most radio commentators... Oh, wait; you didn't mean that. What you meant were the smilies. When you bring up a "reply" screen to type a reply, they are on the right. Frowns, smiles, confuseds, etc. Here's one now: :confused:

Alexborngal post #93 Yeah; keep cutting him off at the pass and conspire with the others at your table to do the same thing. Every time he goes OT, someone jumps in with the original topic, or a new one that relates to all of you. You do it every time. Every time. When he gets tired of this little game, he will shut up.

After a while, it gets to be a fun game with everyone and, when he gives up, dinner returns to normal.

Thanks - I wish I had asked before we met him - as if that's possible. At least if that happens again we'll know what to do.

Tomc--

I figured you for the more direct route:

Try saying this with the most genuine smile you can muster:

"How nice for you to once again remind us how fabulous you are Mr Smith - (turning to other guests at the table) but I'm sure we'd all like to hear about Ruth and Donald's hog farm this evening!"

...or the slightly less direct approach:

"I'm sure we're all fascinated hearing about your business Mr Smith, but I think you'd agree that it's a shame to waste a week at sea talking about such things when we can all have much more fun talking about what we did on the island today (turning to another guest at the table)Didn't you go ashore and do some shopping today Ruth?"

:)

What a great way to deflect his power over the table. Thanks so much. Now I'll have an idea as to handle someone who monopolizes the dinner table as that does happen once in a while.

ok and I make up my mind to enjoy all my table mates even if they only, collectively say 250 words (4 of them ) in one week or tell everyone what great deals they get on pricing even if we know it isn't for real:I promise to be good: and I don't see anything to the right......

When you are putting together/composing a reply, you should have a group of eleven (11) "smilies" in the grayish column to the right of your "reply box". Click on one and it will appear in your text. If you don't see them, something is not working right so maybe time to e-mail one of the hosts or cruise critic themselves!

When you are putting together/composing a reply, you should have a group of eleven (11) "smilies" in the grayish column to the right of your "reply box". Click on one and it will appear in your text. If you don't see them, something is not working right so maybe time to e-mail one of the hosts or cruise critic themselves!

I'm with Rita, there's nothing to the right of my reply box. In my case, the icons are below the box but if I click on one it doesn't appear in the body of the message but in the title line. I clicked on the purple sad face, but it didn't appear. I have to do it the old fashioned way, with a colon mark and a parenthesis mark. :(

I'm with Rita, there's nothing to the right of my reply box. In my case, the icons are below the box but if I click on one it doesn't appear in the body of the message but in the title line. I clicked on the purple sad face, but it didn't appear. I have to do it the old fashioned way, with a colon mark and a parenthesis mark. :(

There are 2 sets; the ones on the right are for icons inside the message and on the bottom for labeling the message.

If you don't see them, check to see if you have turned off your pop-up blocker and make sure the reply frame is maximized.

There are 2 sets; the ones on the right are for icons inside the message and on the bottom for labeling the message.

If you don't see them, check to see if you have turned off your pop-up blocker and make sure the reply frame is maximized.

Thanks Walt and everyone else: I think the pop-up is the problem. I have always had the ones at the bottom. I will try to get things in the right place and thanks again......NMNita

I've been away from this thread for FAR too long. What a HOOT! Thanks for the great laughs! I've been needing them desperately. :)

The Chaplain was fun, on the first night. But he did have a thing for the "sauce." ...

The other couple and us became rather close friends throughout the cruise and when the Chaplain was able to talk coherently, he added a lot to the fun.

Gee, Walt, I don't remember that cruise with you! :D ;)

I've been away from this thread for FAR too long. What a HOOT! Thanks for the great laughs! I've been needing them desperately. :)

Gee, Walt, I don't remember that cruise with you! :D ;)

Thats because you were hitting the sauce too hard *LOL* :) :)

Good to have you back RevNeal

We've missed you

Thats because you were hitting the sauce too hard

;)

I know ... I left myself open for that one. :) ;)

And it came from a guy who's a chick magnet. Imagine that!!!!!

Just between you and me ... I've had more than one female try to "corrupt" this "man of the cloth." I suppose they wanted to see if I could also be a man of the "sheets" ... as it were. Didn't work. :)

;)

Just between you and me ... I've had more than one female try to "corrupt" this "man of the cloth." I suppose they wanted to see if I could also be a man of the "sheets" ... as it were. Didn't work. :)

LMAO

I love it:)

You may have been away , but you haven't missed a beat *LOL*

;)

:eek: OMG!

It sure if nice to have you back to add you special brand of humor to the boards!

Geez Greg--

You coulda made her a convert!

;)

OP here, and I think this is getting outta control! This is the table from hell, not about going to hell. Get back on the subject!!!!

Just kidding:D

Pretty funny ya'll, I too may have had a few attempts of "corruption";), sounds like Greg passed the test. Gives new meaning to the word "she-devil":eek:

I'll be lurking...

Mark.....

So I guess speaking in tongues was out of the question too?

I know I know ......I'm gonna go to hell for that one :)

LOL ... naaw ... no tongues either. :)

And, NO, you're not going to Hell. As the OP said, this is about the Table from Hell, not going to hell. :D

Guest Celestia

in the past we have sailed with other couples and changing seats at dinner is just an opportunity to be able to meet and converse with other people ----its never a reason to raise the roof

Both of us absolutely detest switching seats around....but I agree it is not a reason to throw a fit at anyone....although if I came to table the second or subsequent night and found someone sitting in the chair I had been occupying the nights before, I WOULD ask them, POLITELY, to move from my seat, and if they REFUSED, I'd ask the MD to seat us at second seating that night and to find us a different table the following nights.

We request a two or four, refuse a six-topper or more, and refuse all round tables (I must lip-read, round tables are a nuisance) and if we end up with a four, we establish with the other couple on the first night that we prefer to sit on one side together and we do not prefer to switch around. If they feel one side is 'better' than the other, they can take that the first night and every night....we could not care less about 'ocean view' or whatever else.

Sorry but I'm a creature of habit, and switching seats around WOULD indeed spoil my dinner for me.

YMMV.

As I have said, our cruises have been with a large group of friends, so we haven't had "other people" for tablemates.

Our gang makes up two large tables in the dining room right next to eachother. We would end up switching seats every night between the two tables, so everyone got a chance to chit chat with everyone else, seeing dinner was sometimes the one time of the day everyone would be all together.

So far both tables have always had the same servers , so they didn't care which table we sat at, and its fun to mix things up a bit.

I have always had the ones at the bottom. I will try to get things in the right place and thanks again......NMNita

Here's something else to try:

Go to the top of your screen above Holland America Line and select "User CP."

When the menu opens up, select "Edit Options."

Scroll down to the bottom to "Miscellaneous Options."

If your setting is for "Basic Editor," (a simple text box) change it to "Standard Editor," (extra formatting controls). Save the changes. That should give you the smilies on the right side of the box which you can use to insert within the message.:) ;) :eek: :rolleyes: :D It also gives you some other formatting options.

Hope this works for you.

Meanwhile.....back at the dining room...

Pat

Archived