Anyone in the last 2 weeks on Monarch take booze?

OK....leaving Friday and want to take 2 bottles of wine. But I have heard form many in the past you can take it, but some say only in carry-on and others say only in checked. I don't plan on checking my bag as we are driving and it's one I can roll or carry over my shoulder.

So I'm interested to hear from people that HAVE taken booze on the Monarch in the LAST 2 WEEKS or so since it seems the policies have recently changed. Did you get on board with it? Was it in checked or carry-on? Or did they take it from you?

I promise a detailed review w/ pics for all of you that have helped me get ready!

Thanks!

...I'm interested to hear from people that HAVE taken booze on the Monarch in the LAST 2 WEEKS or so since it seems the policies have recently changed. Did you get on board with it? Was it in checked or carry-on? Or did they take it from you?

We just got off the Monarch YESTERDAY...

We don't "smuggle booze"...To me, it's just not worth the bother...I'll pay drink by drink onboard...

BUT...while in Ensenada, we did the Winery Tour...and my wife purchased a bottle of LA Cetto Cabernet Sauvignon...not to drink onboard, but to take hiome for later...

When she tried to bring it on board, they scanned her carryon in the X-Ray machine...spotted the bottle...and confiscated it and tagged it...

We found it returned to our cabin the next day (evening before disembarkation)...

My guess is you'd have better "luck" putting it into your "checked" luggage upon embarkation...but, if they scan that, they might confiscate it as well...Or the baggage handlers could throw your luggage around and break it and all of your clothes will reek of Tequila...

My question: It's a three or four night cruise...is it really necessary? If you drink three drinks a day (aside from all the free ones--Captain's party, Crown and Anchor Platinum/Diamond party, Crown and Anchor coupons), you'll spend maybe $20 a day a person...and your luggage will be much lighter to schlepp around...

For me it's not about the money. But I would like to have a bottle to drink on the balcony as mom gets ready for dinner and before bed. It beats carrying a glass or two from the bars.;)

As for the free drinks this is my first cruise so I don't expect any invites to the C&A parties. If there are places where I can expect free drinks, of course, I'd love to hear about those!:D

The Captain's Welcome Aboard Party (formal night) has free cocktails and wine.

You can also order from room service.

Can't help with the smuggling question, but I think they are cracking down, so you might have it confiscated and returned the night the cruise ends.

I was in my local State Store yesterday (those of you in other parts of the country would not BELIEVE what we have to put up with in Pennsylvania!), and I was surprised to see some REALLY nice brands of things in flat, plastic bottles. They were almost flask-like, but a little different. They would be safe and harder to spot, I would think.

By the way, SakeDad, I have been meaning to compliment you for taking your Mom on a cruise. You must be quite a guy. Have a fantastic time.

We just got off the Monarch YESTERDAY...

We don't "smuggle booze"...To me, it's just not worth the bother...I'll pay drink by drink onboard...

BUT...while in Ensenada, we did the Winery Tour...and my wife purchased a bottle of LA Cetto Cabernet Sauvignon...not to drink onboard, but to take hiome for later...

When she tried to bring it on board, they scanned her carryon in the X-Ray machine...spotted the bottle...and confiscated it and tagged it...

We found it returned to our cabin the next day (evening before disembarkation)...

My travel partner got some wine at LA Cetto also and got the carrier for it (she also got a bottle of olive oil). They asked to see it, checked that it was wine, and let it through - maybe they thought both bottles were olive oil, I don't know.

I was in my local State Store yesterday (those of you in other parts of the country would not BELIEVE what we have to put up with in Pennsylvania!), and I was surprised to see some REALLY nice brands of things in flat, plastic bottles. They were almost flask-like, but a little different. They would be safe and harder to spot, I would think.

By the way, SakeDad, I have been meaning to compliment you for taking your Mom on a cruise. You must be quite a guy. Have a fantastic time.

I too am sneaking wine on board for a 4night 5 day cruise. My hubby and I lope to have some wine before dinner and would hate to spend $7 a glass of blah wine.. foo foo drinks I willpay for :) we are also cruising with 4 other adults who enjoy some wine.... it makes sense for us.

On that note I just found a boxed wine (that I actually read a reveiw about - good wine for the value and don't let the box fool you) its called French Rabbit Wine chekc it out http://www.frenchrabbit.com/intro_us.html it is actually french wine and I found it for about $8 for a "box" (its the same amount as a regular bottle of wine). So for all of you that want wine to sneak on board, and scared to sneak it in hoping it won't break... check it out. I am gonna double post this as a new thread!

I miss the days when you could buy a bottle on ship, pay the $9 and take it back to your cabin. When we sailed the Jewel of the Seas in Northern Europe last June we were able to purchase liquor onboard and consume it in our cabin. Worked out nice since I wasn't about to schlep any contraband liquor across the Atlantic as we were going straight from the plane to the ship. Saved a pretty sum of money as it was a 12 nighter, but mainly it was nice when we wanted a drink while getting ready for dinner or before bed. We had use of the conceirge since we had a suite, but sometimes you just want to sit with a drink and enjoy the balcony. (We still spent plenty in the bars and for wine at dinner). Too bad old George fell (or was pushed) off the boat. Ruined it for everyone. Really hope RCCL changes back to the old policy. NOW, to get to the nitty gritty, any really good smuggling tips??? Have a Navigator of the Seas sailing coming up in July............

I was actually buying some wine at the military base wine shop. Anyway I never seen it before (the box wine french rabbit). I just picked on up (the chardonny). It was average (as a $8 bottle would be). I had much better and i had much worse. Than I actually looked it up on the internet and thought I would post it up.

I think I am gonna give it a shot this time! to enjoy in my cabin before dinner.

To each their own... ;)

I don't know when they started to crack down, but in Feb. When we went, My husband and mother in-law took (when we were in the San Diego port) took back on the ship a 12pk coke, sprite, O'Douls, and Budwieser. They didn't try to hide it, they just walked on the ship with it. Along with snacks for the kids (chips, candy etc...) ;)

Archived