RCL Wine and Liquor Policies and Prices (Merged)

We were on the AOS on July 9th and they are getting very strict on bringing alcohol onboard. After going through an x-ray machine and security at the San Juan pier there is a liquor store. So we stopped in and bought 2 bottles of wine and I put them in my backpack. Right before we got on the ship Royal Caribbean set up another x-ray machine. After my bag went through the x-ray machine I was asked if I had wine in my bag, I said yes and was then told that I could not bring the wine on board. It would be returned to me the last night of our cruise. I told them I could take wine onboard and pay a corkage fee, I was again told no. I asked for a supervisor and after talking to him he did let me take my bottles of wine with me on the ship.

I noticed that there were A LOT of bottles of booze and wine being confiscated on that first day. So be careful, they are checking for liquor!!

Pretend like I am a newbie,cause I am. I thought I read on these boards not to try to carry wine onboard, but to pack it in your luggage that you gave to the porter instead. I'm sorry they gave you a rough beginning. Did they make you pay a corkage fee?:confused:

This is interesting.

We were on the AOS this past February and RCI employees were actually coaching passengers as to where to buy booze at the port ( there is a liquor store right on site) we did not purchase any - but several of the passengers in line with us did - and they simply carried it onboard with no issues.

Looks like RCI is certainly more strict than they were a few months ago.

We ended up having the wine in our room, so we did not pay the corkage fee.

I think that is why they are looking to take away all liquor to include wine so we can spend the extra 40% mark up on their wines. To be honest, there are some wines I really like and Royal Caribbean does not have them on their wine list.

Whoa, I'm glad I read this. I've been planning on going to that liquor store inside that terminal to make some purchases. All the reviews say you can bring it on. That second xray machine must be very new.:mad:

Thanks for sharing. We'll be on the AOS on Sunday!!

I have been reading all the posts about brining alcohol onboard and it appears that RC is saying one things publically "No Alcohol" but closing their eyes (at times). I called very experienced travel agent to ask and she called RC and they said "No".

The x-ray machines you refer to - are they for carry on bags or for the checked bags also?

I also would like to take a couple bottles of wine for my room and was planning on packing them in my checked luggage.

The 2nd x-ray machine was for carry ons. I still could not believe that they made us go through 2 x-ray machines!

I would think if you had wine in your checked luggage that would be OK, but I am always afraid of "breakage"!

My dad was also on the ship and he asked what the policy was on bringing on liquor. They told him it depends on who is working the x-ray machine. Some employees close their eyes to it, but a lot of them now are taking it away.

Good luck! Have a great time, we did!!

We wanted to bring a couple bottles of Asti onboard as it's our 40th annv. and just sip them on our balcony in the evening. Gee, not sure we should try now..... At least you didn't have to pay the corkage fee, but the hassle takes the fun out. We're going 9/3/06 AOS! Thanks for the info, will pass it on to our roll call also!

Actually, the original poster sounds correct. They are RECENTLY getting strict at the San Juan.

After you check in at the San Juan port and go through the xray machine, there is a liquor store. Employees tell you to buy there and you can take it on the ship. Well, it sounds like RC has added another xray machine, so you can no longer do this. I'll have to check this out on Sunday!!

Chelsea,

Have a great time, and please give us updates on this issue when you return. I sail AOS in Dec, and if we can't bring things on from that liquor store, I am thinking of just using Wellwishers instead.

Yes, I will report back!! Of course they start this new stricter policy right before I go!!;)

You may still have time to have a delivery from Wellwishers. I used them in April, and their service was very good. Just a thought.

This is definately new. We were on the AOS less than a month ago and there was NOT a second x-ray machine. Maybe since some of the recent "accidents" were due to smuggled on liquor they are beginning to think more about liability issues?!

Just got the docs for our August Sovereign sailing and it says

Under what about Wine?

"Royal Caribbean has a state of the art wine list that beautifully represents "The romance of the sea, the passion of wine and the elegance of Royal Caribbean." please review our complete list by visiting http://www.royalcaribbean.com. A limited selection is available for preordering; please see page 9 for selections."

No mention of being allowed to bring wine onboard at all. This is definately different than our Adventure docs from last month.

I wouldn't mind paying the price if the wine list was better. The list available on most ships is pretty pitiful IMHO. I love the wine bars since the wine varies much more on the Navigator and Mariner.

Looks like smuggling is the only way to go now.

RM, thanks for sharing what the docs say because that is our contract it will define what is smuggling. Do they mention bringing on other beverages like soda and water? Perhaps they have a catchall phrase somewhere? I am sure all beverages are coming, wine is just the start of the revenue crackdown.

This wine policy is very annoying. Seems to me if they came out with a new policy; they could at least also come out with a new wine list with choices and prices comparable if not better than other cruiselines that allow carryoning with no hassles. I have been pricing a HAL cruise for Oct and have come close to canceling my RCI cruise. But each time DH and I decide to stay with current iteniary of a TA.

Mcamy,

Thanks for your info for wine on the Serenade. Last year we sailed on the Radiance to Alaska and brought two bottles of wine aboard (in our carry on!). Had the wine in the dining room two nights and we weren't charged a corkage fee. Instead gave the fee as a tip to our excellent waitstaff.

just wondering 2 things.

1 are you allowed to buy a bottle of champaghn on board and bring it to your room. Also what other alcohol can you buy and bring back to your rooms. IE, wine, champaghn, duty free bottles for an extra fee??

ALso what if you bought rum or vodka that is clear and put it in a clear water bottle. Have they done any sniff tests when comming on board?? Or do they just let water bottles with no question.

Nothing mentioned about soda and water that I can see. A new wine list would be great!

Please notice that this was not noted on our July documents so we may see more of a crackdown now.

We always carryon wine, water and diet sprite.No problems.Also bought wine in every port on Princess Med cruise last July and it was never taken from us.We cruise on Mariner in 2 weeks and will carryon our drinks. Will let you know what happens.

We drink it in our cabin.

Buy wine & beer in ports then carry on. My experience is that they look the other way for these. Liquor is taken and held until the end of the cruise. It's not uncommon for people to buy wine and bring it to dinner which you'll be charged a corkage fee.

Worse case is they take your wine and give it to you at the end of the cruise.

Putting liquor into non-alcohol bottles is no problem. Vodka/gin into water bottle, etc.

You're allowed to take any non-alcoholic beverages. We usually bring sodas, water, tonic, etc in our checked luggage.

Clear out the mini fridge when you get there to put in your own stock.

:D

Archived