RCL Wine and Liquor Policies and Prices (Merged)

Last time we cruised the ice buckets that were provided in the cabins were too small for icing down a bottle of wine. So, we told a bartender that we needed a bucket and ice (the larger buckets they use for selling buckets of beer), took it back to our cabin for keeping wine iced down for the week, and asked the steward to keep fresh ice in it daily, after a little tip! That is what I meant about the bucket of beer.

Hi, I just called C&A direcly and asked what the corkage fee is. They said “for a special wine, $12” I asked them to confirm that I could bring a wine to Portofino’s. The reply was “Definitely”

So that was my experience today, let’s hope it stays that way. I will post this to the other wine thread too.

I posted this to both "wine" threads in case someone has them bookmarked and they do contain slightly different info. Tarheelmjfan is being proven right that we will get different info over the phone. I got enough info today that I definitely be bringing wine with me in my checked luggage to see what happens. Proabably won't do carryon even though I think that's a little easier for me, I have a roller bag that is just as wide as a wine bottle that I have used many times. But the bubble wrap and plastic wrap in a checked bag works just fine too. I feel better since I called and will just assume that the wine issue will be just fine and look forward to Happy Cruzin in Nov.

One thing I forgot to mention. Maps, thanks for posting the email you received. I've looked at that post many times but always mistakenly thought the list of wines was the same as the one on the website for "gifts" because the lovely :) white zin at the top looks the same. But your list looks to be the real list with some pretty good choices. I found it very encouraging. Thank you!

i hear you MM that's why today was the first time i have ever called C&A and i had 5 questions to ask. I do not plan on calling again. But I think we should keep collecting people's current experiences. more than 4,00o views means this is an important issue. Glad you care too.

I promised I would post the result of our taking a bottle of Crown Royal in checked luggage on the Serenade last week - as I predicted: no problem, it wasn't hidden or disguised or even in bubble wrap (my beau's idea - not mine, to just jam it in his suitcase without bubble wrap, but it didn't break) and sailed right through.

So everyone who was so worried about a 'new screening policy', that's my anecdotal evidence that there is not one in place. As I said before, it would be virtually impossible for RCI to fully screen/search every piece of checked luggage and also get them to staterooms in a timely manner.

We checked in at about 1:00 and had our bags before 3:00. Fastest ever!

PS The entire cruise was fantastic!

LOL, the results of my last four 'bottle in checked luggage' tests were all successfull too!

This last cruise we stepped it up and did one glass Jack bottle, 3 two liter plastic soda bottles and 2 one gallon plastic water bottles.

All successfull!

Thank you for posting the results of your test. I would like to know the results of other "tests" on the Rhapsody out of Galveston.

Just ignore the trolls and please don't feed them. This thread is about the test.

I run this test every time I cruise Rhapsody.. I wrap the bottles in plastic, in case they break, but make no attempt to hide them in any way. I put them in my checked luggage and send it on thru. Never any problems.

Thank you for posting the results of your test. I would like to know the results of other "tests" on the Rhapsody out of Galveston.

Just ignore the trolls and please don't feed them. This thread is about the test.

Just to let you know that I went on the Rhapsody out of Galveston in December, and had no problems. I packed a box of "Black Box" wine because it was not breakable, and equivilent to 4 bottles of wine. On other cruises, I have brought in clear drinks in plastic bottles, also with no problems. I always pack them in large ziploc bags just in case of leakage. Good luck!

My husband and I have been on many cruises from Florida and on all of the ships that sail from Galveston -- it's a 40-minute drive from our house to the port so why fly to Florida -- and we've taken our own liquor onboard on each of our last 7 or 8 cruises. We've done the same thing on each ship --- buy your liquor in the plastic bottles. The plastic bottles aren't as heavy as the glass. Place the bottle in your "checked baggage"; I place it in the center of the bag surrounded by our clothing, shoes, etc. In our carry-on bags, we each take a medium-sized insulated mug with a lid so that when we are onboard ship we prepare our own drinks and then take them where ever we go. Sometimes, we buy the "drink of the day" (but not the souvenier glass), and pour the drink-of-the-day into the insulated mug so that it stays icy cold longer. This has worked for us on many cruises on Carnival ships, RCI ships, and NCL ships. We still buy drinks onboard --- I don't want to carry an insulated mug when I'm in formalwear! and sometimes we like an iced cold Bucket-of-Beer while layin' out on the pool-deck.

Good Luck!

P.S. We were on "Rhapsody" in May,2005 and the "Conquest" in January,2006

and there didn't seem to be any more security or checked luggage being inspected than in the years prior.

I promised I would post the result of our taking a bottle of Crown Royal in checked luggage on the Serenade last week - as I predicted: no problem, it wasn't hidden or disguised or even in bubble wrap (my beau's idea - not mine, to just jam it in his suitcase without bubble wrap, but it didn't break) and sailed right through.

So everyone who was so worried about a 'new screening policy', that's my anecdotal evidence that there is not one in place. As I said before, it would be virtually impossible for RCI to fully screen/search every piece of checked luggage and also get them to staterooms in a timely manner.

We checked in at about 1:00 and had our bags before 3:00. Fastest ever!

PS The entire cruise was fantastic!

We leave on Monday on the Jewel and that is indeed good news.;) England returned to its old self, Rain today.. See you later.

I have never had a problem with the cabin steward reporting my BIG bottle of Jack Daniels to anyone and I usually leave it in plain sight.

I have never had a problem with the cabin steward reporting my bottles of soda, bottles of water, etc, and I usually leave everything in plain sight, if not in the fridge.

But I agree, if RCCL was really trying to crack down on in-cabin alcohol then the cabin stewards would definitely be reporting it.

I have never had a problem with the cabin steward reporting my BIG bottle of Jack Daniels to anyone and I usually leave it in plain sight.

I have never had a problem with the cabin steward reporting my bottles of soda, bottles of water, etc, and I usually leave everything in plain sight, if not in the fridge.

But I agree, if RCCL was really trying to crack down on in-cabin alcohol then the cabin stewards would definitely be reporting it.

And if they do start to report it watch how low their tips will go.....

It's a fine line between protecting yourself from a liability suit (this is covered by simply having the no outside alcohol policy) and being so strict that they annoy customers to the point that they find another cruise line.

I really don't think that RC cares if customers bring their own alcohol (from a revenue loss point of view) they are just trying to protect themselves.

I do think they care about losing customers.

It's a fine line between protecting yourself from a liability suit (this is covered by simply having the no outside alcohol policy) and being so strict that they annoy customers to the point that they find another cruise line.

I really don't think that RC cares if customers bring their own alcohol (from a revenue loss point of view) they are just trying to protect themselves.

I do think they care about losing customers.

IMHO, RCI has used the recent alcohol precipitated problems to justify their rules re bringing alcohol aboard.

It is all about profit, period. I saw so many drunks and disorderlies on my recent SOS cruise that is was very apparent the real issue is not to control the amount of drinking, only to make sure the profits stay in RCI's pockets. Rounds and rounds of shooters were being served to young people who had clearly had enough and we ended up leaving the bar - where we were really enjoying the music - because we got sick and tired of drunks on the dance floors getting too close for comfort with lit cigarettes and beer bottles. Now THAT is a safety issue.

For the first time IME, they had cocoloco guys pushing drinks on the return tenders.

It was a big booze fest and a turn off.

WHen I cruise, I bring aboard a few bottles of favorite wines and am happy to pay the corkage fee. I do not bring anything they offer aboard. But, their prices are ridiculous and their selection pedestrian.

Hi, I think the best/easiest time to buy the package is the 1st day of your cruise. See post 13 in this thread. I would bring a copy of the wine packages with me - see post #3 - with the ones I am interested in. I did some analysis of which ones save you money, see post #46. I would try to select one of the tables that are set up the 1st day that are not too busy so I could take me time deciding what package to buy and ask lots of questions. I would make sure that my choices are available (many times they are not and they make you choose from the package list; for example if they are out of the merlot they don't substitute another merlot from their wine list you have to pick another wine from the package). If my choices aren't available, I think I would just order from the regular wine list. More info than you asked for but thought it might help.

Hey, Cruzzer Nov 24 and 25 will be said days for me, that's when I finish my cruise. If that's when you start, at least one of us will be very happy!!!! Have a great time!

We took 4 bottles (our 2 each ) in our carry on luggage. They were taken at embarcation and were to be sent to the dining room. We were charged corkage for every bottle (usually they let the corkage slide some nights) I think its another way to make sure they get their $$. The waiter forgot to charge corkage the first night but apologized and charged us the next night for the first night's bottle.

If you have wine confiscated at the pier - go to the dining room early and make sure they know to find your wine. They may not find it in a timely manner.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this info.

I think I may mix carryon and checked. Glad to know your carryon made it. I'll mix only to be sure some makes it on board.

How was the food? Did you have some wine/food pairing your really enjoyed? How did the wine list and wine package look?

Other than late charging you one corkage fee, where they gracious with the corkage fee?

If you don't have time to respond, you've already made my day. Thanks!

Archived