RCL Wine and Liquor Policies and Prices (Merged)

Hey MM I really enjoyed your "provacative" thread! When I was doing my research it was very interesting that RCI wants to make more money off each bottle of wine vs. Princess or HAL while offering the most ordinary wine list of them all. I reviewed the red wines on their European wine list available on the web site and did not see one that I would like with beef.

oh well, I'll just lugg one alone with me from Dallas to Barcelona.

We cruised on Voyager in March. I carried on 4 bottles. We drank these with dinner and also purchased 2 more in the dining room and another in Portofinos. Although our waiter told us there would be a corkage fee, we were never charged. BTW- I did purchase on the first night.

We cruised on Voyager in March. I carried on 4 bottles. We drank these with dinner and also purchased 2 more in the dining room and another in Portofinos. Although our waiter told us there would be a corkage fee, we were never charged. BTW- I did purchase on the first night.

Fantastic, some fairly current info that give us wine nuts some hope! I have a few very burning questions:

I assume you mean you brought the wine in your carry ons. Did you see any evidence of the new policy that states no beverages (meaning even soda and bottled water) can be brought on board?

How did you get your wine to the dining room? Did you bring it down yourself or have your room attendant send it down?

And how was the food? What was your favorite food/wine pairing?

Hope you have time to answer. Thanks for the info already provided!!!!!

I am sooo Happy!

"Actually, that should be "fortunately" because you will be allowed to bring it on!"

True, since even with a corkage fee it would still be cheaper and I know I'll like it!

Hi, again.

Ever think about why RCI doesn't want you to bring wines on board that are on their gift list? The wine on the list can be brought to the dining room and will not be charged a corkage fee because if it could have been a gift purchase that already includes the 15% gratuity. (I've done it on another line and there was no fee just like sometimes your wine steward will waive the fee on any bottle) I personally don't recommend doing this but some people will and save big bucks.

When we brought our wine that was in our stateroom as a gift from our TA to dinner the waiter was going to charge us a fee and when we said it was a gift he went away to look us up and then saw it was a gift and not one we brought to look like it was theirs, he then did not charge us ,be carefull. Im sure there are ways around that but looking at RCI wine list the cost of the wine plus corkage is not that worth the hassel. I would love to not have to bring my own if they had something decent. We brought a bottle to dinner with us last year every night. Princess wine list looks great but I like mine better!

Yes, I would be concerned that they might check their records for wine on their wine list, if they can, I'm not sure that they can. They might say they checked but in fact just trusted you or did it the easy way. In our case, my husband handed the wine to the wine steward and said we brought this with us. The wine steward explained that there might be a corkage fee, we said ok. He came back and said that since it was on their list he did not have to charge the fee. It was never discussed in more detail. I was really just pointing out that I thought by saying don't bring on wines on the list they are really trying to save themselves time and money. We have brought wines on two different cruises so far. The first time we wanted to save a little money and brought inexpensive wines. That was the time that two of our wines were on the list and no corkage fee applied. The second time we had more enjoyment bringing very nice wines and none were on the list but I think we were only charged a corkage fee on 3 of the 7. This was on Celebrity and on HAL respectively. Hopefully we will get more news from RCI cruisers so we will know what to expect. Caviargal is cruising right now. I am sooo jealous.

Happy Wine Drinking and Cruizin!

Caviargal is cruising right now. I am sooo jealous.

Happy Wine Drinking and Cruizin!

We hit the road in an hour and I will update everyone on the wine situation on Monday when I return.:)

This is my first three night cruise in 4 years and Sovereign is a special ship for me as I have lots of cruises aboard her and some great memories :D.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Carol, we just got off the Island Princess. I should have asked for a copy of the wine list and faxed it to Royal Caribbean. I did email them some time ago and to why they couldn't so something about their offerings (I tried to do it nicely), and I am told that my comments were forwarded to somewhere in the restaurant department. Perhaps if enough Cruise Critics did the same thing, we would get some results (dreeeeeeeam, dream, dream dream, all I have to do is dream....)

Hi, At first I couldn't think of what each of us could do, but then on another thread someone made a statement that caught my eye. It was the thread about traditional dining vs. anytime dining; the poster suggested always telling RCI that you prefer traditional dining.

I think that RCI pays alot of attention to the comment cards you fill out at the end of the cruise. I think we could each state our desire. I would state: Thanks for letting me bring on high quality wines and pay a corkage fee. Suggest they add quality wines to their wine list and to their wine packages. Suggest that they price their entire list more reasonably.

Hi, Is Caviargal back? How was that cruise? How did you find the wine list per selection and pricing?

Also is everyone like me getting tired of being treated like "rule breakers" and "smugglers" because we like to have fine wine? RCIs policy of two bottles is a poor compromise. After all DH and I will be on an 11 night cruise. It's really sad that we have to go through this. I've been a wine drinker for probably about 15 years and have never been drunk in those years. Once you just drink mainly to enhance your dining experience you just don't get drunk very often. I guess we will suffer because of binge drinkers.

OK. I will now get my happy face back on and not let the negative views get me down.

HAPPY Cruzin!

We are on the Navigator on 6/10. I would like to know about an updated wine policy.

In Feb 2006 we had our carryon bag opened and our wine 'examined' by some crew at a table. The 2 bottle policy was in place and we took our allotted 4 bottles. They let us take our wine on board. We are planning on doing the same for our cruise next week.

RCCL should allow more bottles for longer cruises. We are planning a 14 day cruise for next summer and we are looking at HAL or X at least there we should be able to bring a case on board. Many of us winos enjoy a nice bottle of wine with dinner but do not want to pay $50 -$100 for mediocre overpriced wines. So RCCL should let us bring our wines (1 bottle per night per couple) and pay the corkage just as we would at a restaurant at home.

Hi, Is Caviargal back? How was that cruise? How did you find the wine list per selection and pricing?

Also is everyone like me getting tired of being treated like "rule breakers" and "smugglers" because we like to have fine wine? RCIs policy of two bottles is a poor compromise. After all DH and I will be on an 11 night cruise. It's really sad that we have to go through this. I've been a wine drinker for probably about 15 years and have never been drunk in those years. Once you just drink mainly to enhance your dining experience you just don't get drunk very often. I guess we will suffer because of binge drinkers.

OK. I will now get my happy face back on and not let the negative views get me down.

HAPPY Cruzin!

I am back and posted a review of SOS.

Honestly, I did not even look at the wine list as I have been on RCI quite a bit and it has not been updated in a few years.

The by the glass selection in the lounges was awful: Le Terre or Caliterra for $6, $7. Same price as a bottle at the grocery store for that swill.

Anyway, we brought on 4 bottles and carried everything on. No problem. We brought a bottle to dinner each night. We were charged the corkage once and the other times the waiter said it was "on him".

If I were on a 11 nighter, I would pack my old trusty hard side samsonite with a case of bubble wrapped selections and check it in. That is what we do on other lines.

I've been looking for Caviargal's review ever since she got back and it's not released yet. Darn. I'll keep checking. Anyone read any other good reviews? One's with wine and food comments?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=354543

Here is my review. I was crushed when I learned that the Champagne Bar had been closed down and replaced with the new RCI pay venues (I do not like this trend but it is here to stay:mad:) as that was my fav place for before dinner wine.

We did not buy any aboard except for a glass at the disco. And we had no hassles carrying on 4 bottles.

Any specific questions, pls let me know:).

My husband and I just got off the Monarch of the Seas after a three day cruise. We have (in recent times) carried, in our carry-on luggage, a few bottles of wine. For our short weekend cruise we packed one white and one red for the 2 of us for 3 days. Much to our surprise, the 2 bottles were confiscated before we got on board. We were given the choice of either having the wine brought to our room that day or to the dining room that night. We chose to the room so we could start chilling the wine. Unfortunately, the bartender who took the two bottles from us misinformed us and as we were told later we would get our wine back on Sunday before we disembarked. We eventually did get our wine in the dining room but it took quite awhile, and my having go up the chain of command. So I'm just letting everyone know that there is a zero tolerance for any liquor, beer, or wine that is carried on to any RCCL ship. So if you were planning on bringing any onboard pack it in your checked baggage and don't pack the wine or whatever else you want to drink in your carryon bags.

We were given the choice of either having the wine brought to our room that day or to the dining room that night. We chose to the room so we could start chilling the wine. Unfortunately, the bartender who took the two bottles from us misinformed us and as we were told later we would get our wine back on Sunday before we disembarked.

I'm going to take a guess that they meant it would be brought to your room at the end of the cruise, not that day (but didn't say it correctly), or you could have it brought to you in the dining room. I'll remember that in the future.

Thanks for letting us know what is going on now.

So I'm just letting everyone know that there is a zero tolerance for any liquor, beer, or wine that is carried on to any RCCL ship.

That's a broad statement. I'm sorry to hear of your inconvenience on the Monarch. Do you have actual knowledge that there is a zero tolerance policy on ANY RCI ship? I carried on champagne to the Radiance in January 2006 and to the Enchantment in February 2006, so if what happened to you was not just another unfortunate example of different employees interpreting and enforcing policies to different degrees, I am surprised not to have read of other instances of confiscation on other ships recently.

Hi, I have been very interested in how RCI was going to enforce their new beverage policy. I started a wine policy thread but can not keep it up near the top of the posts so there tends to be new started.

This is the second poster that has the wine taken. The first one was told it would be returned to them in the dining room. They had to fight to get it.

The current info that I would like us all to collect about wine is:

Name of Ship and Date Sailed

Did you bring wine on board? In checked or carry on baggage?

Was there a corkage fee? Did it include the tip?

Was there a wine package offered? Quality of wines and pricing? When and where was it available for purchase and use.

Was there a wine you really enjoyed on the ship? Was there a wine/food pairing you really enjoyed?

General Comments.

I will post to the other thread to make it easy to find. Thanks!!!!

5/28/06 Mariner

I packed 4 of the 3-serving cubes of wine last week in my checked baggage and it was delivered to my cabin with no problem. (I also had 3 12 packs of soda and water.)

I also purchased the $113 wine package for 5 bottles (choice of 5 wines, mix or match). With 15% tip, plus an additional $5, that came to $135 for 5 bottles, or $27 per bottle. I'm sure it was a huge surcharge per bottle compared to grocery prices, but I didn't want to deal with hauling my own, having it taken, paying corkage, etc. I brought the cubes so we could enjoy some on the balcony before dinner.

I figured it was a bit better than buying by the glass, plus we could take the bottle back to the cabin each night if we didn't finish it (or leave with the waiter for the next night). They gave me the last bottle to take home since I didn't get to it. There were 2 higher quality/more $ packages.

We were on the Mariner in February of this year and took 1 bottle of Moet with us in our carry on luggage that went through the x-ray machines and no one said a word. We went directly to our room with our bags (we only had carry on's) without incident.

My husband and I just got off the Monarch of the Seas after a three day cruise. We have (in recent times) carried, in our carry-on luggage, a few bottles of wine. For our short weekend cruise we packed one white and one red for the 2 of us for 3 days. Much to our surprise, the 2 bottles were confiscated before we got on board.

You may as well just carry it in the open if you are going to pack it in your carry-on. I would never expect any bottled beverage (soda, liquor, wine, water) to actually make it onto the ship as a "carry-on".

Bringing alcohol onboard is best done in checked luggage. If you try to bring on alcohol in a carry on, count on it getting confiscated.

For a 3 day cruise, as inconvienient as it may sound, DH and I would ahve packed one big bag to give to the porter, instead of two carry-on's, JUST so our booze would have made it on!.

Just from reading the threads it seems that since the man overboard because of drinking, they are getting stricter. This was in May, so it seems that since then people have had a harder time. I will be taking my letter that was emailed to me about policy. I can't seem to find it on the RCC web site any more, perhaps they are revamping their policy.

I was told that there is a corkage fee for what you plan on bringing on and it must not be on the wine list. I was also told that I can bring two bottles and it will be taken from me and I can drink it in the diing room. I intend to take it on the carry on, and pay the corkage fee and show them my email.

I just called RCCL and the rep told me that we can bring on 2 bottles of wine per peson as long as they do not offer it. They will take it at the pier and when we want it, all we have to do is ask for it. There is a $12 corckage fee and she recommended taking it with our cary on luggage. I think the only reason it is to go with our carry on luggage is so they can spot it and take it. She did not think the $12 included a tip.

Archived