Do You Tip More Than The Suggested Amount?

I returned last month from my first cruise and I'm in the process of planning another. I tipped the suggested amounts (plus a few more dollars to our room attendant and waitress). I kept wondering if I had given them enough. The service was exceptional. Does anyone have any input on this subject? Do many people tip above and beyond? Thanks, I would like to know for next time.

With one exception (not on RCCL), we have always tipped more than required to our stateroom attendent and our waiter & assist. waiter. We begin by handing the stateroom attendant $20 when he/she shows up to introduce themself before we sail. This is followed up at the end of the cruise by the full sugested amount rounded up, and more if he or she has really gone the extra mile. For the dining room staff, we tip the full amount rounded up and more if they have gotten the small requests (example: remembering that I like to have a slice of lemon with my tea) right every evening. We do this even if we eat dinner 3 or 4 nights in Chops or Portofino's.

These folks work very hard and are always pleasant and anxious to please. My niece worked on the cruise staff for RCCL for several years and we know how much the service staff depends on the tips to make ends meet or to send home to family.

We were on the Explorer last month with a group. Our college age son shared a cabin with our friend's son. I will be the first to admit they did not do a good job of picking up after themselves and I got on my son's butt about it. Infact our son was upset that his buddy never even unpacked till Wed!! Anyways, their steward was great, I would see her in the hall and applogize on their cabin. She said no problem she had seen far worse (which I'm sure she had). Anyways on saturday when we were getting our tip envelopes all done, my son brings down theirs. He said it had his roommates tip in it already. I knew the mom had put the money in it for him. I was shocked...$24.50 exactly!!! I told him to go give it back to him and we will give her one from him alone. I would be SO embarrassed to give exactly $24.50, why not at least round it up to $25??? But that is the way they are. I had him give her $35 for the extra and made sure it had his name on it with a thanks!

We have always given more then the recommended amounts except maybe once when our waiter was just terrible. Otherwise it is well worth it for the great service!!

I always give the suggested amount rounding up when it's an odd amount
Me too. I would consider adding a bit extra if the service were really, really exceptional, and I would deduct something if the service were really, really bad.

In addition, I bring gold coins to tip for room service, and I always keep a couple in my wrist-bag in case I want to tip a bartender or a waiter at breakfast/lunch.

Thanks everyone for all the input. Another thing I will do from now on is prepay the suggested amount in the beginning on my account and then tip more accordingly at the end. That way it's not so much money at the end. I found by the last day of the cruise I was a little more tight with my money than the first day, if you know what I mean. ;) It's funny how I trick myself into thinking I'm not spending as much money by spreading it out. Even if it means going to 2 stores instead of one just so I don't see one giant amount. Anyone else ever do that? :o

Archived