Steerage vs. Grills- Cunard Exec Explains

CruiseFever

I agree with what you are saying Molly, but I didn't see anyone doing that on this post. You can't buy class, no doubt about it. You also can't judge someone as snobbish, haughty, etc. just because of what they purchased. If people object to levels being designated as different "classes" like First, Second, Steerage, etc. maybe it would be better for the ship not to use those terms...oh, wait a minute...they don't.

Besides which, how much you pay for travel compartments has nothing what-so-ever to do with class, and if someone thinks it does, they are perhaps naively thinking they can buy "class" by shelling out some extra bucks.

Overall I have to agree with Molly's statement. I don't think the tone of this particular thread has gone into that direction however and I do believe the OP's initial question was innocent enough. However, I have seen the very attitude Molly is referring to around the board from time to time. I have seen the "attitude" before here and a number of unapologetic people who believe they have every reason to come across better than others. This is the number one reason why so many over-react to the term "steerage". Yes, in a lot of cases its used in jest and I think the average joe is able to figure out the difference in the messages posted.

I don't have a problem with the OP's question and it was answered matter-of-factly by many. I myself often compare the classes on Cunard to that of a full service airline or concierge hotel and think nothing of those who pay the extra for the "extras". Nothing wrong with that as I think we have all done some form of that somewhere.

Here's to me moving on and getting ready to enjoy my cruise on the QM2 in December. (in steerage with a hole in the hull):)

I don't understand why he would be considered brave? I would think if someone post's indicate that they have a certain profession that they are proud of it and want others to know and at the same time realize that they just might receive inquiries.

By the way, anyone can be anything on the internet. Just because they say they are something does not make it so. (No insult or doubt to you HEELMD). There is also much bogus medical information on the internet.

If someone needs medical information, they would do well go to a fully legit forum such as:

http://www.nih.gov/ - The National Institiues of Health

It wasn't meant to be taken literally; sorry, we have a strange sense of humour over here.

Regards, Mary

I am new to this board relatively speaking and am going on my first Cunard cruise next year. For those of you who have been on cruises, should I expect to see a lot of scoffing at "class" differences on the boat be it from Grill or Brittania. I am getting a little worried about the cruise experience based on how much it is debated here. I don't want to spend a week watching others grumble about the others on the boat (i.e. "look at those from steerage what are they doing here" or "look at those boorish snobs heading off to their private areas"). Hopefully it's a phenom. limited to anonymous chat boards and not reflective of the cruise experience itself.

For those of you who have been on cruises, should I expect to see a lot of scoffing at "class" differences on the boat be it from Grill or Brittania. I am getting a little worried about the cruise experience based on how much it is debated here.

Absolutely NONE. Unless someone brings it up in conversation (and if they did, one may wonder why..) you are most unlikely to know what restaurant other travellers have been assigned to. The vast majority of your fellow travellers will be friendly, and possibly better travelled than on other lines. You have nothing to fear - as you correctly surmised, this is a chat room phenomenon. Enjoy your voyage!

Peter

I am new to this board relatively speaking and am going on my first Cunard cruise next year. For those of you who have been on cruises, should I expect to see a lot of scoffing at "class" differences on the boat be it from Grill or Brittania. I am getting a little worried about the cruise experience based on how much it is debated here. I don't want to spend a week watching others grumble about the others on the boat (i.e. "look at those from steerage what are they doing here" or "look at those boorish snobs heading off to their private areas"). Hopefully it's a phenom. limited to anonymous chat boards and not reflective of the cruise experience itself.

There are moaners and complainers on every crusie board, line and ship. I've never quite figured out why someone can go to all the trouble of sailing just to moan and complain about it.

Best bet: Completely ignore them; they're not worth reading.

Instead, stick with the vast majority of others who are having a wonderful time no matter if it is their first or 50th cruise. They are everywhere.

To get off on the right foot on this board I suggest reading this post.

Cruising is wonderful; you'll see!

Class system? Who cares? Look at all the fun those people in steerage had on Titanic..well, until the end that is. oops.

I agree with what you are saying Molly, but I didn't see anyone doing that on this post. You can't buy class, no doubt about it. You also can't judge someone as snobbish, haughty, etc. just because of what they purchased. If people object to levels being designated as different "classes" like First, Second, Steerage, etc. maybe it would be better for the ship not to use those terms...oh, wait a minute...they don't.

It's just that this topic keeps coming back, and the word "steerage" keeps popping back up, even though some find it offensive.

there is a lot of variation from cruise to cruise and from ship to ship

Our suite in Queen's Grill class, tho smaller than I expected, was just about perfect last year. But other people at our table in the Queen's Grill complained about leakey plumbing and too much movement. One was a suite on the other side of the ship from us(midships) that seemed to have a leak that wouldnt go away. The other was way forward from us and the occupants complained about too much pitching.

The cruise I was on seemed to have a problem because the Queen's Grill often got overcrowded at dinner time. There was a group of twenty in one of the duplexes and there were many who got free upgrades to Queen's Grill class. Apparently, no other posters had the problem of overcrowding in The Queen's Grill and that was specific to that cruise.

One advantage of the top class on the QM2, or on the Celebrity Constellation, was that we had the services of a very knowledgeable butler.

The concierge for the Queen's Grill Class was very helpful in finding two nights at a hotel when I got off the ship.

After paying five times more for Queen's Grill Class and finding many had free upgrades, I have decided to go Brittania Class for my next cruise on the QM2. I was able to talk to many Brittania Class passengers who didnt get free upgrades but who were well satisfied with their treatment on board.

The butler serving us breakfast on the suite's verandah is a pleasant memory of Queen's Grill Class.

My cruise companion enjoyed Queen's Grill class thoroughly and refuses to go with me now that I am going Brittania Class. So there is variation in perceptions even among people in the same cabin on the same cruise.

Here's to me moving on and getting ready to enjoy my cruise on the QM2 in December. (in steerage with a hole in the hull):)

Hole in the Hull! :eek:

Oh, My! Isn't that dangerous? :confused:

Won't all the water leak in? :(

Oh- I guess it isn't down where it counts!!!:o

Karie,

who is being silly, and so distressed at man's (and woman's) inhuman(and woman)ity to man (and woman)

tsk, tsk

I agree HeelMD: Frankly, I am wierded out by the discussion. I think one should enjoy one's time however spent (any form of R&R). I wish you all well.

I am getting a little worried about the cruise experience based on how much it is debated here. I don't want to spend a week watching others grumble about the others on the boat (i.e. "look at those from steerage what are they doing here" or "look at those boorish snobs heading off to their private areas"). Hopefully it's a phenom. limited to anonymous chat boards and not reflective of the cruise experience itself.

No, it is not at all like that on board ship. Perhaps we all like being aboard ship so much that, when we are on land, and can only talk about it, we can become a bit agitated waiting for our next crossing/cruise.

There is NO class warfare on the QM2.

My wife and I have traveled both Princess Grill and Britannia on the QM2. On our Britannia voyage (please note HeelMD), there was an OB/GYN and his wife at our table. I was completely unaware of the Grill classes or any special treatment they receieved. What I was aware of were the very long and slow lines on which we had to wait (1) to board; (2) twice, for our second-seating dinner; and (3) almost every day for lunch. This trip was only a few months after the ship was launched, so we chalked it up to an inexperienced crew.

These lines and waits were a determining factor for booking PG on a Caribbean cruise, and (1) the cabin was much bigger; (2) there were no lines for meals; and (3) the restaurant service was better and more personalized. We had to wait on the same lines to board and to get on the tenders to visit ports-of-call.

On the Caribbean trip, we met quite a few people in the Princess (and the Queens) Grill, and at no time whatsoever was any sort of snide or snobbish sentiment uttered by anyone, within my earshot anyway. There was no indication of anyone looking upon Britannia passengers with disdain.

We have again booked Princess Grill, this time for a transatlantic next month.

HEELMD: We are booked for the entire World Cruise leaving next Jan. on QM2. We are retired, plain folk, happy to have a balcony stateroom for the 80 days.

I too have concerns, I will be packing a LOT of clothes, but we certainly will not be up to so many formal nights, and my husband will NOT be agreeable to wearing a tie every night for 80 nights.

This is vacation, he wore ties for 44 years, and we are more comfortable in casual clothes. I don't consider 80 days of a fashion show a vacation. I guess we will have to endure the stares of contempt from those who pack for a short leg of the trip. I would appreciate anyone who has made the World Cruise in totality to render some hints. Is dress any different for such a long duration?

I am new to this board relatively speaking and am going on my first Cunard cruise next year. For those of you who have been on cruises, should I expect to see a lot of scoffing at "class" differences on the boat be it from Grill or Brittania. I am getting a little worried about the cruise experience based on how much it is debated here. I don't want to spend a week watching others grumble about the others on the boat (i.e. "look at those from steerage what are they doing here" or "look at those boorish snobs heading off to their private areas").

coy860,

I completely understand your preference for wearing casual clothes, especially if your husband wore suits and ties for 44 years. What I don't understand is why you would book a wolrd cruise on a ship with dress requirements. Cunard is known for its more formal atmosphere which is what makes it feel like the ocean liner it is. It has always been that way. There are other ships which are less formal which do world cruises where the dress code is less restrictive. Would you make a reservation for dinner in a Michelin 3 star restaurant and say I don't want to wear a tie because I wore one for 44 years?

of course, you are entitled to wear whatever you like since you have undoubtedly paid a high fare for the world cruise, but ties and jackets are the rule on Cunard for most nights and you have chosen to sail aboard the QM2. Whatever you wear tho , I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

"Would you make a reservation for dinner in a Michelin 3 star restaurant and say I don't want to wear a tie because I wore one for 44 years"?

---------------------------------------------------------

Of course not, however, if that was the only place to dine for 80 nights, it would get tiresome.

To answer your question about why we booked QM2, it does the World Cruise in 80 days vs. 108 or 110 for other cruise lines. Also the itinerary is more to our liking, HAL has 3 ports in Israel, and I really do not think it is a safe place in today's world.

We are cruising more for the ports than for ship board activities, and intend to take advantage of room service frequently. I can't understand why a ship that is acclaimed as the biggest and best does not have VCRs or DVD players in staterooms, with a free library of movies. HAL does.

At our ages, a formal night once a week is adequate. Unless, that is, QM2 allows steamer trunks. Ladies, this is going to be a packing nightmare for me! The shoes alone will take up a suitcase!

I just posted on another board, in response to someone complaining about the "old snobs" on more luxurious lines (versus the fun young people on mass market lines) that you "could find said types anywhere, on any ship, in any accomodation level. "

For those that aren't part of this back and forth, but would simply like opinions on how it feels to be on a Cunard ship with the different dining rooms: my experience- we've traveled several times on QE2 where our "crowd" consisted of passengers in all types of accomodations, and what we noticed was that the only folks we didn't see much of were the first seating folks in Mauretania, and that was only because of schedule. But we found that we'd see eachother all day during activities, and we'd all gather for drinks in the Chart Room, whether in Caronia, Mauritania, Princess or Britania Grills or Queen's Grill, chat, make plans for the Yacht Club later on, and then all go to our respective restaurants to dine before meeting up again. Everyone seemed to have a healthy enough sense of themselves not to be bothered by others' restaurant assignments. One thing to remember about the QM2 is that, even more so, the vast majority of passengers are in the Britania Dining Room. And, as I've said before, if people want to pay more to the cruise line to separate themselves from you, perhaps they've really done you a favor...:rolleyes:

If you go looking for someone to look down on you, chances are you'll find them, even on skid row...

Andrew

I sailed on the QE2 soon after her launch and I am confused by your saying she had a two class system then. True, we had a different dining room - I wasn't in the Grill Area.", but I used the same swimming pool, promenade, theater, double-down room, disco, gym, indoor swimming pool, tea room, child's play room, etc., etc. What was so different other than that peculiar stairway and the fact that the old boring people tended to be in First Class and the young hip people were in Tourist? By the way, most stairways allowed access to all decks. I still have my deck plans. Karen

We sailed for one voyage in the Queens Grill on the QM2 and I, for one, ate in other restaurants to get away from the atmosphere. The menu is almost the same as the Britannia except for the a la carte at dinner --but, you have to order a different entree for dinner at lunch. So forget it if you skip lunch or eat somewhere else. The plates and silverware are nicer but the restaurant is not plush. You have windows, but no view of the sea, just people staring at you as they walk around the deck. However, the Matre'Ds, Wine Stewards, Servers are wonderful!

I like to dine with a diverse mix of people from at least a few generations under 70 or 80. The octogenerians are very interesting, but an entire restaurant of them did not put us in a festive mood for a cruise. Quite a few had serious health problems and there were at least eight "scooters" parked about to ease their transportation and I am not counting wheelchairs and health aides. Also, lets not forget the oxygen tanks, which are an unfortunate result of the smoking generation. We sat with one man who spoke of how often his defibulator had gone off during the day and even he complained that the group in the restaurant wasn't lively enough for his tastes! He did want to live until he died (even if that was in the next hour)! I find older folks very interesting, but I just prefer a mix of people.

My mom never took a world cruise but did take longer cruises in an inside cabin. Her trick was to bring two evening skirts, one light and one dark and several dressy tops so she could mix and match. She also brought short evening skirts further extending her wardrobe. Don't forget that you have the benefit of laundries where you can do your own wash and ironing and I found that invaluable even on short cruises. Don't worry, no one will notice what you are wearing as much as you will. Just stick with elegent classics that you can accessorize. Also, don't forget the ports you will be visiting and leave room for the wonderful fashions you will find at them.

Wow, Bugeye, I guess I was lucky, as we had the same mix you seek everytime, both in Queen's Grill and Britania Grill on QE2. Guess maybe I made the right choice for QM2 this Fall- it IS fun to have ALL age groups represented, although, I have to say that, as just over 40 (I can still get away with that at 44, right?;) ), it's often people many years my senior who put me to shame in the "festive" department!:D

Andrew

We are just about to cruise west bound on the QM2 and are NOT expecting to be accorded special treatment since we purposely chose a lower category cabin.

However, I am somewhat concerned about CUNARD's responses to my questions concerning my booking. Slow response, no response, "do not know" attitude, etc.

For example, I received my travel documents from CUNARD but there was NO mention of the post-cruise hotel package we had booked through CUNARD (and paid for already). In contacting CUNARD, they seemed quite offended that I would dare question why it was not mentioned on the travel documents. I called the hotel concerned and was told they had no record of a reservation having been made for me. Then CUNARD reported back to me that they would NOT notify the hotel until two weeks before sailing of our reservation, even though we made and paid for the booking months ago.

Anyone else had this experience and were you able to do anything about it? So far, the CUNARD experience has not been very pleasant and we have not even boarded yet.

However, we are CUNARD's captive passengers, since going west-bound to NY this time of year, there is no choice (unlike going east-bound where we chose Holland America and they have been very professional and most helpful with all our queries).

I'll report back to this posting site once the cruise is over -- and I do hope that I am able to report a positive experience.

Archived