A free Nassau shore excursion - April 8, 2006

zydecocruiser

I didn't really pay attention to time, but would think it could be done in an hour or so. I basically did it twice and stopped for lunch in a few hours and was taking my time.

I would say 5-10 minutes walk to the Straw Market depending on where your ship docks. The carriage rides are only 20 minutes and I think they go by most places. That might be a good way to see what places you want to walk back to.

For me, the straw market was only a photo stop from the outside, 'cause I don't shop. :cool:

I was more interested in the historical stuff and the stairs, fort, and views. And conch fritters. ;)

Thanks very much for the awsomely beautiful pictures! My cruise is still a few months away but this has me excited all over again! I was planning on just heading back to the ship after my excursion and a local lunch, but I think you've changed my mind.

zydecocruiser

I just loved your pictures. we will be in Nassau on May 16th. How hard is the Queen's Staircase to walk down< What is there to see at the bottom of the staircase. Again your pics were great

Cheri:)

It's 65 stairs with a couple of places to pause along the way. The pictures show what is at the bottom, but I did not go up or down those stairs. (last 2 pics in post 19, all of 20, 21, and most of 22).

Queen's Staircase (much restored):

sXZ69nFthpE0hJQfWnUq-J5LfrBgJiVT0300.jpg

• 1 month later...

I will be traveling solo (female 42). This walking tour seems wonderful, but I am concerned about safety. Are these places/streets crowded enough where I could blend in and not advertise that I am alone?

We did the walking tour fairly early on a Sunday morning (approx. 8:30-10:30). There were some parts of town where I might have felt a little uncomfortable if I were alone. We encountered at least one person who was probably a street person. We met several other Bahamians on our walk and they were friendly, said hi, helped with directions, etc. If I were going alone, I'd go to the two squares that start the tour (right across the st. from the port), then go back and grab a taxi and have it take me to the queen's staircase/water tower/fort. Have the taxi wait until you've explored all you want to there (plenty of people, very safe feeling), then have the taxi take you to the governor general's mansion-- in that area you can pick up quite a few of the final buildings of the tour, see the Hilton, go to the straw market if you like, then back to the ship-- all very safely.

we are really getting excited about our cruise. We leave in 2 weeks. I noticed that things have changed somewhat since we were last (16 yrs ago)from what I can remember!!!

Thanks for the beautiful photos.

We will be visiting in couple of months and can't wait to see the places for ourselves.

This time, we will be traveling with two young ones, a 1 year old in a stroller and a 3 year old who will be walking sometimes and in a stroller the other times.

How is the walking tour in terms of difficulties?

Do you think it is do-able for us?

Thanks for the beautiful photos.

We will be visiting in couple of months and can't wait to see the places for ourselves.

This time, we will be traveling with two young ones, a 1 year old in a stroller and a 3 year old who will be walking sometimes and in a stroller the other times.

How is the walking tour in terms of difficulties?

Do you think it is do-able for us?

The difficulties I see are it can be hot, some of it is up hills, and some I did was up and down stairs. Not sure you could easily make it to the Fort with a stroller or two.

You can certainly do some of it, and no part was really more than a few blocks from the dock - Queen's Stair Case and Fort Fincastle were the the farthest, so when you've had enough you can allways stop - or as in my case, I stopped in a cafe for a cocktail and a bite to eat.

Not sure if a buggy would make you a deal or not or what to do with the strollers other than leave them on the ship. The buggys are very close to the ships. They say 4 max, but with two little ones, I'd don't know why they couldn't take 5. Check out spots you might want to walk back to and then pick up the stollers?

I will be traveling solo (female 42). This walking tour seems wonderful, but I am concerned about safety. Are these places/streets crowded enough where I could blend in and not advertise that I am alone?

Only one person offered to sell me drugs and that was as I wandered away from the tourist sights. Never felt concerned about my safety, though. There were people on the streets and were a number of cars driving up and down.

Again, maybe one of the buggy tours and you can see what places you might want to walk back to?

Wonderful photo gallery of Nassau. We were there, just before you, on April 5. We had a great day-first at Atlantis, which was fun, and then at Ardastra Gardens & Zoo. There is so much to see and do in Nassau- an underrated port.

Awesome pictures zydecocruiser. One question: I noticed that there was a horse and carriage ride...do you remember where that was located?? I think that would be great for my boyfriend and I to go to being the fact that we're there in Nassau from 8 pm to 12 pm the next day and that offers us little to do during the day. Would you recommend the walking tour or would we not have enough time?? Thank you :)

The horse and carriage rides are just about at the dock. When you go through Festival Place you should see them lined up.

They say allow 2 hours for the walking tour, although you can do it faster or slower. And you are never more than a few blocks from the ship - if time is running out, just end your tour and head directly back to the ship - which you can see from many of the locations.

thank you! thank you! thank you! I have been trying to find something to do in Nassau and couldn't come up with anything. My family isn't really into going to the beach, we've been to Atlantis so this is perfect (especially since it's free)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also want to say thanks for the posting this great information and pictures about the walking tour in Nassau. We are considering doing this when we visit Nassau in late November for the 1st time.

Thanks again...I appreciate your willingness to help others gather information for a great vacation. :)