Hotels near the Ft. Lauderdale Pier and Airport

BaltimoreCruise

I am scheduled to take the Zuiderdam from Ft. Lauderdale next spring. Initially I was planning on a pre-cruise stay at The Atlantic, on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale. I am reconsidering as our group is growing and because The Atlantic is very expensive, I want to look at hotels close to the port that are nice and have nice amenities (pool, close to restaurants and shopping), but at a lower cost. I would appreciate hotel names, details on location and amenities, if the property is in walking distance of Los Olas Blvd. shops and restaurants, and if airport and /or port shuttle services are available. If I need to rent a car at FLL, are there rental car locations at the port and which companies? Your assistance is appreciated. Thank you.

Have stayed at the Embassy Suites many times. They include complimentary breakfast and have a managers free cocktail party every evening. They provide shuttle service to pier and to airport (they may be charging for tranportation to pier now). They have a concierge which can arrange rental cars. Embassy Suites is near a couple of strip malls - lost of restaurants nearby. Also you walk down the 17th Street to get the water taxi's to go to Los Olas Blvd.

I have stayed at the Marriott Hotel and Marina, downtown Ft. Lauderdale, but that has since been sold and is now call the Ft. Lauderdale Grand. We loved this hotel and the location. The water taxi is right there and they provide a free shuttle service to the pier the next day. Just need to hop in a taxi from the airport, which is close by.

KK, Is Embassy suites offering shuttles from the airport? I know they are now charging to go to the pier. We never use the pier shuttle but an airport one would be nice. I can`t see anything about it on their website..........jean:cool:

Embassy Suites is kinda weird, they will take you TO the airport, but will not pick you up there (free) They also charge for transportation to the pier (unless you are on one of their Stay-cruise packages)

That was in December, but things change daily in Florida as they recover from the damages of the hurricane season.

Ed

The MArriott and Hyatt are on the bay across a highway..ask for side of hotel that faces the cruise docks..then you can see the boats that sail in that morning.

We enjoy watching our ship sail into the harbor that morning.

Have stayed at the Embassy Suites many times. They include complimentary breakfast and have a managers free cocktail party every evening. They provide shuttle service to pier and to airport (they may be charging for tranportation to pier now). They have a concierge which can arrange rental cars. Embassy Suites is near a couple of strip malls - lost of restaurants nearby. Also you walk down the 17th Street to get the water taxi's to go to Los Olas Blvd.

We'll have an two nights and a full day in Ft.Lauderdale before joining our ship - considering Embassy Suites and have a question - are there any dress shops close by? DH is not into shopping so I need to go alone. I could use a few additions to my wardrobe - slim but not petite ;)

We have stayed at The Riverside twice, most recently last month.

Not terribly close to the Pier but ideal for dining and shopping along Las Olas. We took a 6 block walk and visited the Museum of Art which had the National Geographic King Tut exhibit. Tickets to the museum were purchased on line in advance and received by mail less than a week later. I know this particular exhibit may be gone before you arrive, but if you choose The Riverside you might consider checking into their current offering. Give the hotel a call for a much reduced rate (it worked for us both times) and ask for a balcony room - it can't hurt!

the bahia mar is very nice, stayed there twice in last three years and i thought the price was good for what was offered. stayed at the sheraton yankee trader this year and it was overpriced for an average stay. all these stays were only one night prior to the cruise and there is alot of info at online sites.

Have you visited the Trip Advisor web site? You'll see a lengthy listing of all major hotels with a wide variety of comments, ratings and reviews.:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=34227&from=Home&q=Fort+Lauderdale%2C+FL&inMonth=12/2006&inDay=8&outMonth=12/2006&outDay=9&adults=2

You will probably prefer a taxi from the hotel to pier, and from the airport as well. A cab between the cruise port and airport is @ $12 plus tip, slightly less from a nearby hotel to the port (Port Everglades). Many have reported long waits for shuttles, plus the hassle of luggage handling.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites earlier this month. They told us they did not have a shuttle from the airport (but you might want to verify this - as I later heard a shuttle driver say he was going to the airport)

The shuttle to the pier was free - but the loading process was very chaotic. You booked a time and they said they would call your name when it was your turn. They were not calling any names - so we just walked out and got on the next shuttle. As soon as the luggage section was full - they headed for the port.

What was really strange, they did not load by ship. We let off people at two ships before they went to the Zuiderdam. We ended up with a tour of the port and a free ride.

Archived