Jewelry-ST Martin or St Thomas

sea_breaze

I have always been happy in St. Martin & St. Thomas. Key is doing your homwork and being able to say No if you are not satisfied with price or quality. I have alays shopped in "mall" near dock and avoided the high pressure of downtown St. Thomas.

If ever anyone has problems with Jewelry purchased in the Caribbean please feel free to contact the ***** office for guidance. We have dealt with customer service issues in the caribbean for over 15 years and usually can help smooth out the process.

There are wonderful items in the Caribbean with millions of items sold each year. There are bound to be problems whenever there are that large amount of items sold. We know the steps that WORK, without the runaround.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

My experiences in the Caribbean have been almost exclusively good, but that may be because I have only purchased from a few shops, among them: Amsterdam Sauer in St. Thomas (are they still there?), H. Stern, St. Thomas (same question, are they still there?), and my personal favorite, A. H. Riise, St. Thomas. A. H. Riise does a nice job of discounting David Yurman and I KNOW what I am getting, authentic jewelry, a discount and no tax. This to me is a really good deal given Los Angeles' high sales tax rate.

As for diamonds and such, hmmm, I might not chance that -- I think I'd buy my diamonds here in the States.

Riise is, I believe, currently the authorized retailer for Rolex so I'd go there for that, too, but I agree with you about the rest.

One of Diamonds International's watch stores in Barbados charged me too much for a Tag Heuer, which I discovered upon entering another of their stores nearby after my purchase. I had to go back to the original store, have them CALL the second store and confirm the lower price in order to get my VISA credited for the difference. It was a lot of running around in the heat and I was MAD. And THEY were mad. But they did give me the credit. I will NEVER shop Diamond Intl. again, however.

Best advice -- watch where you buy -- VERY carefully.

This is exactly the type of thing I am talking about, I hear these stories all the time. Most people don't notice things like your chip as quickly as you did,but bring the jewelry to their local jeweler to check out. We have to tell them its damaged, the setting is cracked, the stones are glued in,etc. I am sorry this happened to you and wish I knew a way to help. Once again, it is really good advice to think twice about expensive jewelry purchases on the islands!

Does anyone know if you can purchase David Yurman on St. Martin as well? I know about the shop in St. Thomas, but we will also visit St. Martin and don't want to miss anything there if any stores carry Yurman! I like this designer and my daughter and I both are looking for a couple of pieces of this designer. Thanks!

Denise

We usually buy sonething in STM on a cruise. Early in the day they always give the first buyer discount for luck for the store whether you are first or not. A pave ring was listed for over $4000 and somehow ended up with all the friends of the family, best dressed, blond hair and other special discounts to under $900. Don't ever take the tag price seriously. Look at an item, think what it might be worth to you and stick to it in your mind and see if they will even go lower. They hate to see someone walk away. Whatever price you end up at be assured they are still making 100% markup. You should also ask them to throw a something extra into the deal once you agree on the price.

Does anyone know if you can purchase David Yurman on St. Martin as well?

I know that Artistic, on Front Street, carries Yurman. I've been told that you can expect a 10% - 15% discount.

gary

We usually buy sonething in STM on a cruise. Early in the day they always give the first buyer discount for luck for the store whether you are first or not. A pave ring was listed for over $4000 and somehow ended up with all the friends of the family, best dressed, blond hair and other special discounts to under $900. Don't ever take the tag price seriously. Look at an item, think what it might be worth to you and stick to it in your mind and see if they will even go lower. They hate to see someone walk away. Whatever price you end up at be assured they are still making 100% markup. You should also ask them to throw a something extra into the deal once you agree on the price.

There is a tradition that selling to the first customer of the day brings good luck, and might bring you a special offer to make the deal.

You must do your homework before your travel, and have an idea of what is a bargain or not.

I would suggest just being nice.

gary

I too had problems with Diamonds International in St. Maarten and would tell anyone to STAY AWAY FROM THEM! My cruise was on Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas, and they don't stand behind their so-called "guarantee" either, so it isn't just Carnival. I am pursuing all of the avenues to resolve my issue and it is still ongoing. I just want to spread the work to STAY AWAY FROM DIAMONDS INTERNATIONAL!

Our general impression is that St. Martin is nicer than St. Thomas for jewelry. We've bought a couple of nice pieces from Majesty Jewelers after looking around.

Both times we did a bit of shopping at home to get an idea of prices for items we wanted. Personally I think that the whole purchase was romantic and fun - much more so than going to a jewelry store around our home. The first purchase was a 25th anniversary present for my wife. At the same time I have no illusions that I got the best possible deal in the world. While I'm sure I have a better deal and piece than at a local "mall" jewelry store it is likely we could have done better, all things being equal, at certain jewelry stores around Chicago. However it could never have been as much fun or have the memories attached as buying during the cruise.

I'll also say that while we spent some time shopping around St. Martin and St. Thomas the shopping wasn't the primary focus of our trip. We always spend a ood part of the day at the beach (both have some of the BEST beaches). Besides there are only so much looking you can do in these stores before you drive yourselves crazy with comparisons.

Best advice is to get the general tone from these boards on some stores that are good and bad, do at least a little education before you go if you're buying something expensive, and have fun.

• 3 months later...

For the best briliance and "fire" the round ideal brilliant cut is hard to beat. It is designed to provide maximum optics for the brilliance and scintillation, making the light seem to sparkle and dance in the light.

It's all about light optics and the ideal angles to produce the maximum effect. So it's all in the math if you really want it to light up.

"Ideal quality diamonds are truly for the person who enjoys knowing that she has one of the finest things that money can buy." - http://www.thediamondbuyingguide.com/diamondcut.html

Bought ours in Old Town San Diego here: http://www.thediamondsource.com/

A Study of the Reflection and Refraction of Light in a Diamond

by Marcel Tolkowsky 1919

http://www.folds.net/diamond/index.html

http://www.gemology.ru/cut/english/tolkow/tolk1.htm

MODELING THE APPEARANCE OF

THE ROUND BRILLIANT CUT

DIAMOND: AN ANALYSIS OF BRILLIANCE

By T. Scott Hemphill, Ilene M. Reinitz, Mary L. Johnson, and James E. Shigley

http://www.gia.edu/pdfs/Fall_1998_Cut.pdf

Brilliant (diamond cut)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brilliant_%28diamond_cut%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_cut

http://www.answers.com/topic/diamond-cut

http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/1999/jan99/0199dg.html

http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/diamond/chap11.htm

On a 2001 cruise to Alaska the Diamonds International advertised price lower than back in the states. I asked the to explain why they did not consider Alaska part of the United States. They could not. I Aruba earlier this year my wife wanted a solitare and I told her that it was too much even after haggling. We went to a local store and a near identical piece was abou half of what they wanted.

I am not involved in the jewlery business (just toys for good girls and boys) so I may be comparing different quality and value but to my and my wife's eyes the stones were identical.

I'm a commercial electrician so take this advice from a guy who doesn't deal with gemstones much. The Dutch side of St. Martin has some nice jewelery stores,BUT.....(A VERY BIG BUT).....I would not make a major purchase of a large diamond outside of the U.S.. I have been married to the same woman for 31 years.This is my first and God willing only marriage. I was a young buck sgt. in the USAF when I proposed to her. I saved my money and worked as a janitor pt. time to get enough money to go to Zales and buy her a nice stone.I can't tell you the no. of times she has snagged one of the lil holders that hold the stone or bent the ring part. Zales always smiles and fixes it in a short time. I think most of the reputable jewelery stores in the States do this(This is not an ad for Zales). If you are getting married for a lifetime,deal with a jeweler that will be around for a lifetime. I wouldn't make a large purchase in a foreign port.Find a good jeweler at home.She has bought some nice things in the port stores,but the wedding ring is important. It tells all"This is my woman". It has a very important function.Think about it.........I would contact the credit card company ASAP....It also might be worth talking to an insurance rep if you have homeowners insurance,also talk to an attorney.An attorney will help you file a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. I have done this in other matters.

• 3 weeks later...

St. Thomas is, without any doubt, a far superior destination for purchasing a fine watch than SXM, especially a fine watch. We have been to both locations many times over the past 20 years and this has remained the case. It will have far more manufacturers and styles represented than SXM, and they are easier to deal with when making a serious purchase.

As for jewelry, I must agree with several other readers who have complained about diamond/jewelry purchases on SXM. A few years ago I purchased a new, rather expensive platinum/diamond setting for my wife's diamond at a "fine" jeweler in Marigot. The setting deteriorated quickly (scratching, dings, etc.) from everyday wear which is not consistent with true platinum. When I called the store they were willing to work with me and the manufacturer who happened to be in NY. The manufacturer (Mr. Baguette) was helpful, but not very receptive. I had to physically bring the setting to them in NYC for inspection and then wait several weeks for a laboratory analysis. Eventually they agreed to replace the setting, and they did. The new setting has lasted as platinum generally will.

Of course, none of this should have happened in the first place. And if NY was not convenient for me, I wonder what would have happened?

:) I have bought several pieces of jewely in St. Thomas from Diamond's International and never been disappointed. I know my jewelry as I sell it part time. I only buy from them at the following location. IF IT IS STILL THERE - will find out in February. On the back street there is a DI that has a second story - this is their Carribean outlet - if it has not sold elsewhere it ends up here. Nothing (and this may have changed in the 2 years since we have been on a cruise) is over $300.00

I bought an exquisite rose gold (not easy to find and my favorite) twisted band with 5 very good quality diamonds there and the appraisal when I got home was more than double what I paid for it.

I have not been to St. Martin, but we will be going there as well in February so I am looking forward to comparing the shopping.

I agree with everyone else - you have to know what you are buying or you should buy in the states...

Cat.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me preface me remarks by saying that my ex-business partner owned two retail jewelery stores and taught me the business from repairs to grading stones to marketing etc... We have been on many cruises and have been to both islands. If i had to choose, i would pick a reputable jeweler in the states and do business with them. A diamond cost the same in arizona as it does in the carribbean. The wholesalers have the market locked up and the retailer will pay what they choose to sell the diamonds for. The only store in the islands that i have done any busines with is Ray's in St Martin. Stephen and his father are class folks and at least treat yo with respect and dignity. Stephen went to school in the states and is very very very intelligent. He is a business man and that said is good at what he does. His father is one of the nicest human beings that i have ever met. We always stop and say hi to them every year whether we are in the market or not. I have bought several items from them and knew exactly what i was buying and that i could not do as well in the states on that particuliar item as he was selling for. If you want to know the truth, ebay is the best place in the world to buy diamonds and that is only if you know the diamonds business and are willing to spent countless hours looking. It is tough, but patience pays off big time. Good luck

Be sure to stop in at GRAND JEWELERS - 49A Front Street in St. Maarten.

Last year hubby purchased me a magnificant 2 carat princess diamond and I picked out a great setting for it. Was appraised for $8,000 more than we paid for it.

This year we went back and upgraded to a 3 carat unbelieveable stone and even prettier setting. My appraiser in Florida could not believe what we paid for it. I almost fainted at the appraisal. Sonny and Raj at Grand Jewelers are honest, truthful people. I met people in the store last year and this year that have been buying jewelry from them for over 15 years.

My sister purchased a beautiful emerald ring and bracelet.

Today shopping in the mall, I was looking in a jewelry store (I always do) and the Manager asked where I purchased my engagement ring. he actually put it under his microscope. He would have bought it from me on the spot.

If you go there, say Hi from Bruce and Debbie.

Debbie

• 9 months later...

I would love to find a pair of gold hanging sailboat earrings. Will this be difficult to find?? Where is the best place to look?? I don't care for shopping and would like to save time and money. I'll be in St Thomas and St Marten.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Juanita

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know for sure if the jewelry from the islands is good, but I know that the cruiselines push stores for a buck and that's it. I had a problem once with something, I called and they told me to write them and send a receipt. I never heard back from them.

Now, I buy from places that I think look fair and I listen to other people on Cruise critic and other ship passengers.

My experiences in the Caribbean have been almost exclusively good, but that may be because I have only purchased from a few shops, among them: Amsterdam Sauer in St. Thomas (are they still there?), H. Stern, St. Thomas (same question, are they still there?), and my personal favorite, A. H. Riise, St. Thomas. A. H. Riise does a nice job of discounting David Yurman and I KNOW what I am getting, authentic jewelry, a discount and no tax. This to me is a really good deal given Los Angeles' high sales tax rate.

As for diamonds and such, hmmm, I might not chance that -- I think I'd buy my diamonds here in the States.

Riise is, I believe, currently the authorized retailer for Rolex so I'd go there for that, too, but I agree with you about the rest.

Best advice -- watch where you buy -- VERY carefully.

Totally agree about riise. Love my David Yurman bought there. Really good value. I live in LA too...

Agree watch where you buy...

Archived