Never Again On Zenith

Faith/Hope/Charity

I read DNCButler's post with interest because as I've read this thread one thought keeps coming to mind. I wonder if it is the ship that is dirty or the cumulative effect of certain rooms having bad stewards. I think an old cabin cared for can sparkle whereas a new caabin with a lazy steward will reek after a month or so. We have had room stewards who straightened the bed to remind you of our kids' efforts as preschoolers, never bothering to change the sheets. One cruise we always had to go to the pool to get towels for our shower. Our dirty ones were taken once a day and replaced with 2 new ones--our kids were with us and each day she made 4 beds, how could we get by with 2 towels? Did we complain? No, I chose not let it ruin my vacation.

I laughed at his post that "SHE" did not clean the room well--our worst attendants have both been gals. We had a guy who smelled like he hadn't showered in days or weeks, and surprise surprise our cabin was not real clean that week. Remember that these workers come from countries that just aren't as neat and tidy as us.

I love Zenith and hope people don't avoid her because of what could be one lazy steward. She is definitely a classic, beautiful ship.

Finally, I wonder if the posters who call OP a liar are that way face to face with their friends. Hiding behind a computer does not give one the right to be so rude.

Thanks, Faith. I was looking at 4032 because that was one of few available and my address growing up(anything to remember my room # helps lol). It could have the same steward, so I'll be sure to book elsewhere.

I hope you don't judge the Zenith or Celebrity by that bad experience. Our worst cruise was on the Horizon ( very bad steward--I came in one night to find her standing on my bed on my pillow with her shoes on to make the bunk above me for my daughter. This was about night 5 and I guess I had slept on dirty pillow last several nights. We tried Horizon later and were in different area (to avoid steward if she was still there) and loved it.

One week today since a second letter was suppose to have been sent to me from Celebrity, they said I would get a response in one to two weeks. They said the first letter was sent to me on May 5, 2006 but it never came. See what happens in another week.

Time to move your thread up

Today I received the original letter dated May 4,2006 and an identical letter stamped copy, dated last week. Along with the usual we're sorry stuff, there were two $150.00 coupons, one in my husbands name and one in my name. There were guidelines to follow for using them. We had to use them by May 4,2007 and they had to be used on a Celebrity Five night cruise.

The problem with this is the only five night cruise offered is a Five Night Western where we have done all the ports before, some even twice.

The ship is the Century which we have travelled on before, and I certainly wouldn't mind being on her again, especially with the renovations. We enjoyed her the last time we went on a Seven Night Western.

Does anyone else have any experience with credit vouchers, and do you know if they would let you apply the coupons towards a longer cruise, even though they have a five night in the small print?

I don't know what I expected from Celebrity, and with over two months to get a response, I was a little disappointed to be offered such a small token.

With all the restrictions on the voucher, I doubt that we will be using it anyway.

Did someone say 4032 was terrible? I'm going in 2 weeks, and our cabin will be near there, probably with the same steward. Should I worry?:eek: I have 3 kids and will need some extra stuff done, so I hope we don't get the worst person on the ship :(

Although it's been a little over 3 years since sailing on the Zenith (17 night repo from Chili to NY thru the canal), we remember the Zenith being very clean and staff absolutely wonderful. On all our cruises, our experiences have been all 'degrees of good' - some excellent and others just good. Is everything everywhere always perfect - of course not. If you get to a cabin and things aren't clean, by all means, contact whoever you have to on the ship right away to have it taken care of, and that includes everything up to and including changing mattresses. Odds are that you'll arrive to a clean stateroom, and an attentant who is attentive. The Zenith is older, so there will be signs of wear, but that's the small stuff that shouldn't impact your vacation one way or the other.

Remember that these workers come from countries that just aren't as neat and tidy as us.

That is completely untrue and dare I say racist. I know americans like to think they are better at everything, but people from developing countries can be just as if not more "neat and tidy". You have been on plenty of cruise ships but have you ever been to a developing or third world country and experienced the culture? (6 hours at the port from a cruise doesn't count) I've seen plenty of slobs in america and people in other countries who are "neat and tidy" even without running water in their homes. I hate to even justify the comment with a response but I had to say something.

I was in Bermuda last week [ on NCL ] and my day was made when i saw the Zenith sail by my cabin window. Having never sailed on her and being a ta I went out and talked to several passengers from the Zenith. They all said they were having a fantastic time,the food and service was great. There was no mention of a dirty cabin or worn down areas. I then put my head down and went back to the Majesty. I would not hesitiate to sell or sail on a Zenith cruise.

We were on Zenith two weeks ago and I must say that we were totally impressed by the friendliness and service provided by the crew. The ship was clean and tidy. Regarding the comment about the stewards from other countries being less clean I can only say this - our cabin steward was excellent. He even folded some of our dirty clothes that we left stacked on the sofa for us. He also washed out souvenir glasses that we had purchased with drinks so that they would not be sticky. Great service from great people.

Oh well... It does sound like we will be in that area of the ship. Not that we had much choice b/c for us the most important thing was to be amidship to minimize motion sickness. If there's a problem, I'll be sure to tell my TA not to book people in those cabins anymore. Have to hope for the best all the same...

Masha...I sailed Zenith 2x last summer and once two weeks ago...all on the Florida deck. We have never had any problems with our cabin being dirty or our cabin steward not doing their job (3 different ones). Our cabins were all clean and well-kept during our stay. Michelle, Peter and Isabelo were all wonderful people. I would not hesitate for a second to book another cabin on the Florida deck.

Relax and enjoy your trip. If there are any problems that your cabin steward does not correct, just speak to the chief housekeeper or guest relations. Come back and give us your review and thoughts.

That is completely untrue and dare I say racist. I know americans like to think they are better at everything, but people from developing countries can be just as if not more "neat and tidy". You have been on plenty of cruise ships but have you ever been to a developing or third world country and experienced the culture? (6 hours at the port from a cruise doesn't count) I've seen plenty of slobs in america and people in other countries who are "neat and tidy" even without running water in their homes. I hate to even justify the comment with a response but I had to say something.

I travel to India often for work. I can tell you with out a doubt that India is not as clean as the states - plain and simple. What that poster said was not racist at all! She was simply pointing out that the country and tendencies of the people may not be what we here in America would consider normal. ANd by the way she is right!

In additon let me just add that my statement is backed up by studies done by the company I work for which happens to be the largest bio/pharma in the world!

We've sailed Zenith twice. Yet to sail all the ships in the fleet but we have sailed all the classes of ships. Zenith wins hands down!! Her small size and relaxed friendly crew, more than make up for her small cabin size. My wife is a bit of neat freak and would not allow a repeat trip on a less than clean ship.

David

Can't we have a normal discussion w/o bringing racism into it:mad:

Firt off, hello, Zenith crew is Greek, which mean white the last time I checked. Second, I don't think Americans are necessarily neater, but we do tend to be more germophobic than the rest of the world, in part because they love to show horror stories on TV every night, and in part because as a nation we tend to be health obsessed. That, however, has nothing to do with expecting a standard of cleanliness on an upscale cruise.

You are totally correct in saying that we expect a standard of cleanliness on an upscale cruise. For that matter on any cruise, let alone Celebrity which prides itself on its standard of excellence. I'm sure you will have a great time, all the rooms, especially the beds cannot be as dirty as our room was.

Hotel Manager very often will hold a cabin or two empty in case of emergency situation.

Guess this was not an emergency.

Personally, my smiling face would have been in front of the Hotel Manager about 15 seconds after seeing the condition (as described) of that cabin.

Masha...i don't want to get into the whole discussion of race but just so you know...Most of Celebrity's top officers and the Captain are Greek. The rest of the ship (Zenith) is represented by over 40 different nations. And this is part of the attraction of X for us...we love meeting people from all over the world.

Have a great cruise :D

Hotel Manager very often will hold a cabin or two empty in case of emergency situation.

Guess this was not an emergency.

Personally, my smiling face would have been in front of the Hotel Manager about 15 seconds after seeing the condition (as described) of that cabin.

It was an emergency in our opinion. That mattress and mattress cover was stained with red, brown, yellow, and many more colors of what you could only assume were body fluids. Gross in anyones books. We asked if we could be changed to another CLEAN cabin, and were told it was spring break, the ship was full and we could not be moved. So, with a blanket and a thick quilted mattress pad that we finally got after much complaining we had to make do. The first time I went back to the cabin there was one extra thin sheet placed over the one that was already there. The next time I put the one clean blanket on the bed myself from the close. The other two were covered with shiny white stains, and waited until he came back with a quilted pad to cover the blanket and remake the bed. Let me tell you I did not look forward to going to bed each night of my vacation in that bed.

I'm just wondering, if you encounter service that's truly this awful, do you still leave full tip? Doesn't make much sense to me, as tipping is supposed to be payment for good service, but all the tipping recommendations say you can complain but never reduce the tip.

Hopefully, I'll never be in this position, but just curious what everyone's opinion is.

Faith/Hope/Charity, I have to admit, when I first read your post I thought you were just fussy/lying/overstating things, but after reading the rest of your posts you seem as a very nice and reasonable person, so thanks for sharing your story and best of luck in your future travel:)

Archived