Never Again On Zenith

Faith/Hope/Charity

Thank you so much for responding the way you did. Unlike your cabin, our mildew wasn't beneath the grout, and could have been easily washed off. I'm glad the other people who have responded with such negative and nasty attitudes have always had the good fortune to have a clean cabin. I hope they never have a cabin like we did, but like you have pointed out it happens.

While no one suggests that a dirty cabin cannot happen but the extent you claim it was dirty seems excessive. The hardest part to accept is the mattress pad and that the cabin steward merely put another sheet over it. Add to that that your claim you got no satifaction from Guest Relations. Just very hard to believe!

If that happened to me I would have names and photos but....have never had anything close to what you describe on a Celebrity cruise.

Not to worry about the naysayers. Those of us who have experienced it know it happens. On our spring transatlantic cruise (this was the one with the dirty room) between my husband and myself it took us about 4 hours just to get the walls, woodwork and door handles acceptable. We didn't mop the floor (free suite slippers!) or clean the carpet. Believe it or not we left full tips. The room steward had big smiles for us the last day when he knew we didn't short change the tips. I just can't see penalizing someone's family when he may have just inherited a dirty set of rooms from some other room steward who got moved or fired. We don't know any of the story. He could have been sick and got behind on things or he could have been asked to do too much by the cruise line. He could have had partying kids in his section the last cruise or maybe just a really dirty family. But we did leave a full description of the rooms condition in the comment card. Based on the time it took the two of us to clean the room I find it hard to believe a room steward with a full schedule could have done it. His schedule just wouldn't have allowed it. We do know the ship had some damage from the storm so some personel were likely doing extra duty to get things cleaned up and repaired from that. Also if noro has been on a cruise I imagine the crew has to do double duty to make up for the sick crew members so those who report great service right away are again lucky that there is the bandwidth available to take care of them. On a cruise where some things are going wrong that bandwidth gets taken up by other events.

We then took a fall transatlantic cruise on the Grand in a regular balcony. What we have come to realize is that the room steward has a tremendous impact on the quality of your vacation. Our steward on the Grand was sweet, funny and always left me extra chocolates along with our clean room.

Michelle

Personally if the sheets had been dirty I would have pulled them off the bed and thrown them into the hallway along with the bedspread. That would have taken care of getting clean linens.

As for cleaning the room myself; well I am not normally high so I would have never done that. I would have called the Assistant Chief Housekeeper and asked him to see to the room getting cleaned; if that failed I would have called the Chief Housekeeper and then the Hotel Manager. ETC....

I don't understand the victim role that the OP took on. Anything can get worked out and getting a room cleaned on a cruise ship is basically a minor task. It's all in how you talk to someone and if you are respectful even though a situation may not be pleasant.

The whole situation is beyond me...

Suzanne, we were on the most recent sailing.....and I had

a FANTASTIC time and it was WONDERFUL meeting you:D

The OP must have been talking about a cruise prior to ours.....

and I agree with the last poster.......If my cabin had been

that filthy you can bet the Chief Housekeeper would have been

on the scene. Even if the cabin attendant said to come to him,

if nothing had been done, I would have gone directly to

his supervisor.

Don't be so nasty. A black light was not necessary. And no we did not use this as an excuse for an upgrade. We would have gladly paid double to be rid of the dirt, but the ship was full

I believe you because I know what happened to us. We even found someone else's underwear under our bed. No ice or water in the cabin after we boarded the ship. Beds not turned down the first night. Deadbolt lock broken on our door. Terrible.

I'll have 2.32 gig of memory in my digital camera ready for the Zenith this June. I'll be sure to photograph my cabin.

I have taken pictures of dirty things as as proof they exist as such.

I took a pic of the sink in my office with the soap scum spill, that was there for days, just so I could prove they never clean it. <grin>

I took a few shots to make sure it showed in the shot.

In this digital age, I am surprised you haven't sent pics of the filth to the cruise line directly.

I also would have insisted guest relations visit in person to see the filth as you describe it or show them the digital display.

I do apoligize if it seems I am being mean, it just doesn't seem to ring true.

I guess the biggest problem is you didn't fight for yourself.

If this guy asked you to come to him first from then on, give him ONE more chance and then go above him & above his boss.

. It's YOUR vacation not his.

I agree I would have left the funky bedding out in the hallway.

We all have to take what we read on these boards with a grain of salt...or an ocean....

since you have been a member for a few years, I'm surprised my recent reading has taught me so much more than you have caught on to about ensuring you have a clean room- not an upgrade- but a clean room.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but it is quite 'atypical' of what the normal Celebrity experience is. For other's considering Zenith, or any Celebrity ship for that matter, I wouldn't let this be the deciding factor.

If there's one thing I've learned from our recent Mercury sailing, it's that not all Celebrity cruises are created equally. :( I always read bad reviews on Infinity & Century, & wondered if these people were even on the same ship as we'd been on. We learned firsthand on Mercury, that it's possible for one person to have a fantastic experience, while someone else on the same ship, at the same time, can have quite the opposite experience. It's a matter of circumstances, & dumb luck or lack there of. I, for one, will never discount another bad review by chalking it up to a disgruntled customer or a whiner. I just hope my family will always be the recipient of dumb luck in the future. :D

My DH & I aren't ones for being the "squeaky wheel". We would put up with a lot of stuff to keep from ranting over it. I can easily see why someone wouldn't have taken photos, gone up the list until they were satisfied, etc. Everyone just isn't built that way.

I'm not buying it.
I'm not buying it either!!!Have never been on any X ships(including Zenith) that were in the condition that the op described....Done 14 cruises with X and always had a spotless cabin,,,if there were any problems they would be taken care of right away,,,;)

Sorry folks but I had a less than stellar cruise on Zenith recently and it did include some unclean areas of the ship. While our cabin itself was pretty well kept there were plenty of other areas of Zenith that were very rather unclean. Let's face it, we all have different opinions of what we think it clean. While Faith/Hope/Charity may have higher expectations of clean than others here, that doesn't mean her cabin was up to Celebrity standards. I experienced Zenith firsthand when she wasn't up to Celebrity standards.

Trust me...I knew who to go to on our Zenith cruise and there was absolutely nothing they could do to solve the challenges we faced. It was pretty disheartening.

Sorry folks but I had a less than stellar cruise on Zenith recently and it did include some unclean areas of the ship. While our cabin itself was pretty well kept there were plenty of other areas of Zenith that were very rather unclean. Let's face it, we all have different opinions of what we think it clean. While Faith/Hope/Charity may have higher expectations of clean than others here, that doesn't mean her cabin was up to Celebrity standards. I experienced Zenith firsthand when she wasn't up to Celebrity standards.

Trust me...I knew who to go to on our Zenith cruise and there was absolutely nothing they could do to solve the challenges we faced. It was pretty disheartening.

Thanks for the post. We did go to guest relations and our cabin attendant. There was nothing they could do with regard to a clean mattress, or a change of cabins. Let me tell you I have stayed in hotels all over the world, so I know what is acceptable and what is pure filth.

I believe you as I have had less than clean cabins.... AND I just recently witnessed Celebrity tossing old mattresses into a a dumpster pierside in FLL.

The condition of those mattresses was appalling. I don't want any readers grossed out, but the bodily fluid stains (huge) and dirt was unbelievable.

Hi again, sorry you had such a horrible experience. We can only go by

what you posted and maybe some of us were harsh.

But I still must ask...since you said it was "filthy"..and you said you

went to Guest Services...if they did not satisfy your request I have

always heard Head of Housekeeping was the one to go to for

cabins.

And I was also told the Hotel Director is above all of them...he is

where the buck stops. If problems cannot get solved before, I have

been told more than once that is the person to see.

I am not sure what you ended up doing. If you were afraid to

sleep in the bed? Did not want to use the bathroom all week?

Did anything get better? Sorry....if it was such filth after day

one I would have been back to the Head Houskeeper and

the Hotel Director.

Anne, I realize you did not have the best experience either but

your reviews are always objective..the good and not so good are

posted. And as you said, your cabin was clean.

This just makes a lot of wonder is all. And I know the OP has

a right to post their cruise as they feel...just as we have that

right to question it.

As you have said, you won't be sailing Zenith again...

That is what makes us all different. I just came home and would

sail her again tomorrow.

I believe you as I have had less than clean cabins.... AND I just recently witnessed Celebrity tossing old mattresses into a a dumpster pierside in FLL.

The condition of those mattresses was appalling. I don't want any readers grossed out, but the bodily fluid stains (huge) and dirt was unbelievable.

Ok, now I'm grossed out. :(

It's all in how you talk to someone and if you are respectful even though a situation may not be pleasant.

The whole situation is beyond me...

You hit the nail on the head, I think. While it should not matter, the way you approach Guest Relations (as well as anyone else) has a lot to do with how your problem is solved. I have heard people berating GR before they were given a chance to help with a problem.

I am sorry the cabin was not cleaned to your standards. If it happens again, go to Guest Relations with a "I have a problem and I know you can help me" attitude and I believe you WILL get help.

You hit the nail on the head, I think. While it should not matter, the way you approach Guest Relations (as well as anyone else) has a lot to do with how your problem is solved. I have heard people berating GR before they were given a chance to help with a problem.

I am sorry the cabin was not cleaned to your standards. If it happens again, go to Guest Relations with a "I have a problem and I know you can help me" attitude and I believe you WILL get help.

What kind of people do you think we are? We certainly didn't berate anyone at guest relations. Maybe the reason for the response we got was because we were not insistant enough. We are not the type of people who like to create a scene.

Whoa!!!! An apology is in order. I did not mean to insinuate taht you would berate anyone, just that some people do. You must have hit a GR staff member who was definitely not the standard on Zenith. I hope your next cruise, on whatever line you chose, makes up for this bad experience.

Okay, this thread has me worried. I spent a lot of money (relative to me !) on a 10 day cruise on the Zenith for my elderly parents....now I have visions of two 80 years old sitting in a horrid flithy cabin for over a week. I really need to STOP reading this boards !

Okay, this thread has me worried. I spent a lot of money (relative to me !) on a 10 day cruise on the Zenith for my elderly parents....now I have visions of two 80 years old sitting in a horrid flithy cabin for over a week. I really need to STOP reading this boards !

I'm sure ours was not the norm. We sat with two other couples for dinner in the evenings who had very pleasant rooms.

I'm sure ours was not the norm. We sat with two other couples for dinner in the evenings who had very pleasant rooms.

I'm not entirely clear on how a "pleasant room" relates to a "dirty room".

Bruce

I don't think any of the comments here are meant to slander the Zenith. We enjoyed the cruise except for the situation with the cabin. The guest relations desk was very helpful and sent someone everytime we contacted them (which was a daily occurrence). They NEVER offered a different cabin to us. I guessing the stateroom attendant is no longer with them unless he eventually learned how to do his job. I'd sail on the Zenith again but not on the Florida deck.

I don't think any of the comments here are meant to slander the Zenith. We enjoyed the cruise except for the situation with the cabin. The guest relations desk was very helpful and sent someone everytime we contacted them (which was a daily occurrence). They NEVER offered a different cabin to us. I guessing the stateroom attendant is no longer with them unless he eventually learned how to do his job. I'd sail on the Zenith again but not on the Florida deck.

I certainly did not mean to slander the Zenith or any of her staff either. I just presented the facts as they occured on out trip. We were also on the Florida Deck, We booked last minute, two weeks before sailing and this was all we could get.

Archived