Paid for an upgrade...was this a good deal?

Moogy

A few weeks ago, we got good prices through AAA for a SY suite on the Oosterdam sailing to Alaska 5/20/06. When I went to pick up my travel documents today, they told me I could upgrade to an SB or SC for $199/person, with no extra charge for the third person in our cabin. By the time we got it reserved, it was an SA suite...near the middle of the ship, and near the Neptune Lounge.

I am a newbie, but this looked like a good deal to me. What do you think? Looking at the extras for suite passengers, I see that we will not use all of them. I guess we will use the Lounge, since it is near our cabin. But early boarding won't do much for us, since my dad in the wheelchair will also get early boarding for us, I think. The free laundry will be nice. The BIGGER ROOM was the main reason I switched.

Any comments? Did I get a good deal? What other suite ammenities have you found to be worth the price?

Will I ever be able to cruise again? After starting with such a high level suite, will I ever want anything less?

Moogy :D

Hi again, Moogy,

An SY is not a true suite so I think you did get a good deal. If you sent your laundry out several times, or bought the unlimted package, you'd at least pay

$70 or more with dry cleaning.

Your SA is bigger, has a more or less separate sleeping area, a table on the veranda big enough to seat 4, a separate dressing room, and concierge services, priority tendering, hors d'ouerves in the room at your request, corsage on 1st formal night, welcome champagne, and a free fare for the 3rd person? I think that's great!

I think that you really did well. Congratulations! I also think that you'll love the Oosterdam. Have a great sail to Alaska.

GN

That sounds like a wonderful deal:) Our first time on the Oosterdam was to Alaska. I just want to warn you though once you have had a Full S Suite it will be hard to step down. Have a great cruise you will definitely enjoy it.:cool:

Thanks for the replies! I am too new at this to know what I am doing! :o I appreciate the imput from the experienced cruisers here...

Yes, this suite will be fine for my dad. He doesn't have to stay in a wheelchair all the time. He cannot walk long distances due to his emphysema, so we are taking a wheelchair for wandering around the ship.

I'm getting excited now! :rolleyes:

Moogy

just chiming to offer...."sounds like a great deal to me!"

As far going back "down" it's a dilemma for sure. We've had only one cruise so far (Celebrity Sky Suite last Nov/05). We have another booked for this Nov/06 with HAL in an SY cabin. sounds a little bigger than the Constellation's Sky Suite wothout the butler (no big deal in our mind). This afternoon I was looking around for a Panama Cruise next Apr/07. Was hoping to save a few $$'s and step-down to a balcony oceanview, but when I started looking at square-footage there is just no way we would be happy with that for 10-14 days. Being mobility challenged, I spend better-than-average amount of time on "our" balcony and in the room, so space is definitely something I enjoy having. I guess we'll just have to cruise a little less, but enjoy it more.

I think that you should be thrilled with your luck. We once paid $700.00 for an upgrade from a verandah cabin to an SA suite on a 12 day cruise and were very happy with that. The only problem is that you will always hope it happens again and it may not. It will be a wonderful treat. Enjoy all the extra nice perks you will receive with this upgrade. They will provide special memories.

Archived