Vancouver Info if needed

• 1 month later...
Hi thereI'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

We are planning an Alaska southbound cruise ending in Vancouver at 7AM. What is the earliest flight time should we be looking at to get out of Vancouver comfortably without being rushed. Plan to take taxi to airport. How long to get through customs? Thank you.

Does anyone have any first-hand information about the

Days Inn - Vancouver Airport

2840 Sexsmith Road

Richmond, BC, V6X 2H3 CA

hotel?

I have a reservation for next summer for two nights for my family. We will have a rental car. Is it clean? Safe area?

TIA!

UMTerp

Yes the area is safe, but heavy traffic area. Not sure about the inside of the hotel as I have never stayed there. I believe the hotel is not that old. Easy to drive down Number 3 road and Lansdowne ( 10 - 15 MIN)- huge shopping mall. Lots of Asian restaurants in the area. Continue south on number 3 road just past Westminster Hwy ( road) and there is another large shopping centre on your right Richmond Square. I used to live in Richmond for 25 years, now I live in another area in greater Vancouver.

Always allow 2 hours at the airport as some days there can be huge long line-ups at the airline check in counter and customs. 2 hours is a comfortable time to find your airline check in counter, fill in customs forms, etc. The drive from the pier to YVR should only take about 30- 45 minutes but allow extra time for traffic delays.

• 2 months later...

Shoppie, I'm so glad I found you!

How is the Best Western in Capilon?

Is it near the trolley?

If I took the trolley around 9 a.m. and just stayed on it, how long would it take to do the entire route? What are some of the sights I'd see on the trolley?

Are there restaurants in the hotel or very close?

What can I expect to pay for a cab from the Amtrak Station to that hotel. Also, what would be the approximate cab fare from the hotel to Ballentyne?

Thanks for being here for all of us!!!

Betty

Shoppie, I'm so glad I found you!

How is the Best Western in Capilon?

Is it near the trolley?

If I took the trolley around 9 a.m. and just stayed on it, how long would it take to do the entire route? What are some of the sights I'd see on the trolley?

Are there restaurants in the hotel or very close?

What can I expect to pay for a cab from the Amtrak Station to that hotel. Also, what would be the approximate cab fare from the hotel to Ballentyne?

Thanks for being here for all of us!!!

Betty

I think you should do a Google maps search on your choice. I believe you are talking about a hotel in North Vancouver. Which if you are local is not an issue but staying for a precruise does have some limitations as it's on the North shore.

"What can anyone tell me about the Ramada Limited Downtown Vancouver located at 435 W Pender St?"

It's in the older part of the downtown core and on the edge of the more seedier part of town - if you are just planning on crashing and then going to the port the next day it will do - if you are cruising out of Canada place you are only a couple of blocks from the ship. If you need to stay at a Ramada for points redemption etc there is another Ramada downtown on Granville street - it's in the entertainment district so it can be noisy on weekends but in a better part of the downtown core - I should know for I can see the back of the hotel from my condo.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

What is the best way to get from the pier ( I think Canada Place ) across the border --- to either Bellingham or Seattle? Last year we used quick coach, which was very accomodating when picking us up at the pier although we had a long wait at the border. We are probably going to stop in Bellingham and see Amtrak also serves these two cites for a lesser price (also a bus service) but from what I can tell, looks like you have to make your own way to the bus terminal, Pacific Central Station. Does anyone know how far this is located from Canada Place and for that matter, how far it is from the Bellingham and Seattle airports where they drop you off?

Quick coach does not have their schedules out for May as of yet and looks like the Amtrak service doens't leave until 5 PM....so may not be an option if we have luggage from the cruise.

Should I just be patient and wait for the quick coach schedules to come out? Will they be in operation in May with the cruise season just starting? Are there any other options I am missing?

What is the best way to get from the pier ( I think Canada Place ) across the border --- to either Bellingham or Seattle? Last year we used quick coach, which was very accomodating when picking us up at the pier although we had a long wait at the border. We are probably going to stop in Bellingham and see Amtrak also serves these two cites for a lesser price (also a bus service) but from what I can tell, looks like you have to make your own way to the bus terminal, Pacific Central Station. Does anyone know how far this is located from Canada Place and for that matter, how far it is from the Bellingham and Seattle airports where they drop you off?

Quick coach does not have their schedules out for May as of yet and looks like the Amtrak service doens't leave until 5 PM....so may not be an option if we have luggage from the cruise.

Should I just be patient and wait for the quick coach schedules to come out? Will they be in operation in May with the cruise season just starting? Are there any other options I am missing?

Amtrak (train) so far is only one a day south (north also for that matter..there is some indication that they will be going to two trains a day soon though)

Amtrak buses leave from the train station also I believe it's about a $12 cab ride (not far) from Canada Place or Ballantyne

Bellingham Train station is downtown on the waterfront

Quick Coach goes into the airport at Bellingham if pre arranged or it has in the past. Not sure where else it stops.

Great thread! Thanks to all the contributors!

A few questions I would greatly appreciate your opinion on...

Our flight arrives 5/11 at noon (Sunday) and we're going to stay one night before our cruise the next day. We want to stay in the downtown core and see as much of that and Stanley Park as possible in our limited time.

Recommendations for the cheapest hotel in the area that also meets basic standards of cleanliness, service, safety, etc. I've looked at info on the Howard Johnson, Comfort Inn, Ramada. I don't mind some noise and bars as long as it is safe. We're also 25 so don't mind walking around downtown.

Also, I saw some link (misplaced it at the moment) about taking a bus from the airport to downtown hotels instead of a cab. Is that a good idea?

Thanks!

TR

TR - all three of those hotels are located in our downtown entertainment district - lots of bars and night clubs - especially busy on weekends - given your age you will probably enjoy the area - it is safe in that there are lots of police officers patrolling it - there are street people but they are more of a nuisance than a threat - I would rate them this way - Ramada - Howard Johnson and the Comfort Inn - I live within a couple of blocks of these hotels and am often on the street at night and I don't feel any real threat.

There is a good Irish themed pub in the Comfort Inn with decent pub food and at the Ramada there is also a pub with good food - a friend of mine has the Lamb Stew and swears by it.

The Airporter bus stops right in front of the Ramada.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Amtrak (train) so far is only one a day south (north also for that matter..there is some indication that they will be going to two trains a day soon though)

Amtrak buses leave from the train station also I believe it's about a $12 cab ride (not far) from Canada Place or Ballantyne

Bellingham Train station is downtown on the waterfront

Quick Coach goes into the airport at Bellingham if pre arranged or it has in the past. Not sure where else it stops.

I think we will try for the Quick Coach --- goes right down to the BLI airport and picks us up at the Pier. They don't have their late spring, summer schedule out yet so will just be patient. thanks for the info.

TR - all three of those hotels are located in our downtown entertainment district - lots of bars and night clubs - especially busy on weekends - given your age you will probably enjoy the area - it is safe in that there are lots of police officers patrolling it - there are street people but they are more of a nuisance than a threat - I would rate them this way - Ramada - Howard Johnson and the Comfort Inn - I live within a couple of blocks of these hotels and am often on the street at night and I don't feel any real threat.

There is a good Irish themed pub in the Comfort Inn with decent pub food and at the Ramada there is also a pub with good food - a friend of mine has the Lamb Stew and swears by it.

The Airporter bus stops right in front of the Ramada.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis! I definitely think those could work for us without busting the budget any more.

Another couple of questions...

We're thinking about seeing the aquarium and the lookout tower. I've read that these are good. Just making for sure they aren't overinflated tourist traps. We love aquariums and sky views so if they are good quality it will be right up our alley.

Thanks again!

Another couple of questions...

We're thinking about seeing the aquarium and the lookout tower. I've read that these are good. Just making for sure they aren't overinflated tourist traps. We love aquariums and sky views so if they are good quality it will be right up our alley.

Thanks again!

Aquarium.... is first class

Not sure what you mean by Lookout tower. If you are referring to the revolving restaurants ? View is wonderful from either... food is pricey.

Grouse Mountain Tram and Mountain/restaurant. If the weather is clear this is a great overview of mountains/water/city and valley views.

Aquarium.... is first class

Not sure what you mean by Lookout tower. If you are referring to the revolving restaurants ? View is wonderful from either... food is pricey.

Grouse Mountain Tram and Mountain/restaurant. If the weather is clear this is a great overview of mountains/water/city and valley views.

Thanks Leftcoast! Sounds great about the aquarium!

This is what I meant about the tower http://www.vancouverlookout.com/

There are 4 of us, we are ending our cruise in Vancouver and have reserved a van.

Our plan is to visit Vancouver, using the hop on hop off bus stops as a "guide" for the things we want to see, but driving ourselves. Will we have trouble with parking? If its a nice day, we thougt we would end the afternoon driving up to Grouse Mountain area for sunset/dinner.

Will this work, or will we frustrate ourselves trying to find places to park the van when we want to stop? We considered not renting the van till the next day and using the hop on hop off bus, but for the 4 of us that would be more expensive than the cost of the van for the day.

The next day we plan on driving to the pier and taking the ferry to Victoria, spending the day there, and then taking the ferry from Victoria to Seattle. We will spend a couple days there and then fly home to FL.

Any advise? Suggestions?

There are 4 of us, we are ending our cruise in Vancouver and have reserved a van.

Our plan is to visit Vancouver, using the hop on hop off bus stops as a "guide" for the things we want to see, but driving ourselves. Will we have trouble with parking? If its a nice day, we thougt we would end the afternoon driving up to Grouse Mountain area for sunset/dinner.

Will this work, or will we frustrate ourselves trying to find places to park the van when we want to stop? We considered not renting the van till the next day and using the hop on hop off bus, but for the 4 of us that would be more expensive than the cost of the van for the day.

The Car/Van stop and start/park likely will frustrate you as you fear. I would just do the bus because of that. That being said to get to Grouse/Stanley Park/Granville Island I would indeed recommend a rental. You can walk a lot of "downtown" without problem

The next day we plan on driving to the pier and taking the ferry to Victoria, spending the day there, and then taking the ferry from Victoria to Seattle. We will spend a couple days there and then fly home to FL.

This is a great trip. Butchart gardens is just off the ferry a few miiles on the Island side so don't miss it on the way to Victoria if you are inclined to do that.

FYI The only Ferry to Seattle from Victoria direct is not a car ferry. There is a car ferry to Port Angeles Wa. Work out your vehicle drop yet??

Any advise? Suggestions?

enjoy

Hi Shoppi, I will be in Vancover the night of June 12th. Iam traveling in my power wheelchair and need transportation from the Vancover airport to the Holiday Inn express and then on the 13th to the port where Holland America will dock.

I have done some research and cannot find a powerchair accessable van transport taxi service in Vancover. Can you help with a name and phone number? Thanks!