Declare purchases?

hugosmom

You all were so helpful to me earlier this year while I was planning our trip (business for husband, pleasure for me!) to Australia. Now we're here! We spent several days in Sydney, then in Melbourne, and are now in Brisbane till Tuesday. We fly home on Wednesday - it's been a lovely time.

My question now is what do I do about declaring purchases I've made here when it comes time to fly home? I've probably spent around $500 US for souvenirs and gifts - the most expensive item I've purchased was a necklace for $72. I have most receipts, but a lot of what I bought at Queen Victoria Market I just paid cash. Anyway - any suggestions of places to look for answers, or is this the place?

By the way - we went through all the steps (vet and customs) and Hugo came in the country just fine. He even did fine on the plane trip over! However, they confiscated his dog food and treats! I had carefully packed enough food and treats for our 14 days and there it went - in the trash! Our first stop in Sydney was the grocery store - where they had his brand. I never thought to ask about whether or not his food could get in - we were so focused on getting *him* in!

Thanks in advance for info about declaring purchases - and I love your country! I have to come back and see more and more.

I'm really asking if I have to declare (when I leave the country) what I've purchased and tell how much any of it is worth. I appreciate the link, though - I'll read up.

Another question - about food. I had told the folks at work about vegemite - I had read about it here and other places and I've been collecting little packets of it from restaurants to take home to share. Now I'm starting to think maybe I can't take it out of the country - any ideas about that? I know I can buy jars of it at the airport and I guess I can take that if it's not opened, but I thought folks at work would get a kick out of having their own packets just like it was jelly. I've bought some "tim-tams" to take back, but they are sealed in tins.

Thanks again!

We took back packets and small bottles of catsup, which my DH insists doesn't taste like American catsup. They only thing we ever had taken at customs was a packet of Australian wildflower seeds that had been stamped by agriculture as being cleared for export. We probably could have snuck it past, but I delcared it. Okay, so I live in fear of the Customs agents.

If worse comes to worse with the Vegemite, you can always buy it stateside at any Cost Plus. That's where we get our's when we need a fix...along with Spotted Dick and other import favorites.

We so loved the time we spent in Australia and New Zealand. You were fortunate to see more of the country and to be able to bring your lttle guy too, what a treat!

Glad you had fun!

Charlie

I'm really asking if I have to declare (when I leave the country) what I've purchased and tell how much any of it is worth.
Assuming that you've just made ordinary purchases which any tourist might make, you don't have to declare anything on departure. Customs is simply not interested in anything you want to export. You have to declare cash or cash equivalents over a certain limit (AUD 10,000?) but that's the usual money laundering-inspired regulation that you find everywhere these days.

You may have to declare your purchases when you try to import them into your home country. That depends on the Customs rules there - including rules about what plants or food you are allowed to bring.

US customs will allow you $800. worth of goods duty free. After that, they'll charge you a % and different items are charged at different percentages.

I'm not one that "plays games" with customs and generally declare everything. However, if you bought a $30. neckace and it's not uniquely australian, who's going to know where you bought it if you're wearing it. Be sensible. We always go over the duty free limit on wines. We always declare them and sometimes we have to pay a small duty and sometimes we get an agent who just says "enjoy them" and whisks us through the line.

The vegemite packs are fine. They're sealed and it's not like a meat, cheese or plant product.

hugosmum,

I am so glad you are enjoying your stay here in our country. :) You will be able to take the Vegemite home with you. It is only products coming into the country that customs worry about here due to Australia being an island with no known animal diseases such as foot and mouth. They do not want any foreign foodstuffs coming in that could affect our way of life.

As far as your purchases are concerned, Australian customs are not going to be worried with what you have bought as long as you are not taking out huge sums of cash. You only have to obey the rules of your own country and from what you say, you haven't overspent.

Jennie

Thank you one and all - you've made me feel safe about my purchases. I think my husband was just trying to make me stop buying things by bringing this up!

Hugo went to the vet today for his "going home" exam - he has to go through steps to get out of Australia just like he did getting in! He even had to have a flea bath - even though he didn't get any fleas while here - but now he's all set. This has been such a great trip for us and I am looking forward to coming back to see more. Thanks again for all the help!

We always declare large individual items that we have purchased; but for the few hundred dollars worth of souvenirs we accumulate, we just put down "misc souvenirs" with an approximate dollar amount. The customs folks are normally a real pleasure and are surprisingly helpful in keeping your duty as low as possible. At least that has been our experience.

Well, it did all go very well - nobody looked through our bags or anything like that. In fact, even though we did all the vet visits and Hugo had all the treatments they said he needed to get out of Australia, nobody even asked for his documentation - not leaving the country or entering USA. But it was better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it. If that makes any sense - it's either very early in the morning or very late at night somewhere (even though it's really just noon my time)!

I can't wait to get to come back - there is sooooo much more I want to see and do. Thanks again for all the help.

Archived