E-Docs

I must have too much time on my hands, as I have been giving some thought to the possibility/probability of HAL using e-docs just as the airlines use e-tickets.

The Immigration Form has evolved from a form in your docs that you filled out and turned in at embarkation; to a form you fill out electronically and print; to one which enters information into a database. Is this a baby step to e-docs? It would be one less thing to worry about leaving behind at home once you've left for the airport or pier. (OK. Who hasn't felt that moment of panic......?)

Shore Excursions have evolved from a form you had to fax back to Seattle to being electronically ordered and confirmation pages printed at home.

Maybe once they get Princess' software to work for them we can print our own tickets?:)

How can we do a 'doc dance' if we don't get docs?

I'm among the small minority who fill out the Immigration Form that comes in the doc packet. I prefer to Not do it on line. But, I don't hold anyone up because we have it fully completed and signed prior to arriving at the dock.

Just my choice to use the paper form. ;)

I'm with you....I love getting that Doc packet in the mail, DHL or UPS "gift guy" coming to the door.....but RCCL just asked me last week IF I wanted my docs to be E-docs when I booked the Rhapsody for July 2 out of Galveston....guess we are coming to that. Probably will come to charging more for the paper tickets, just like the airlines.

Speaking of Docs, still haven't received mine for the Ryndam sailing on June 4 to Alaska.....I know they are waiting on the air tickets or the computer switch over or something, but I'd really like to be Dancing!

I want the lovely blue folder with all those docs!

Nothing like twirling about the living room (folder in hand)as the doc dance progresses!:D

E-docs--phooey!!!

I'm waitiing for the postman.....for my docs:)

Even though I do print out our immigration forms on line, I would not want to get documents via e-mail. Wouldn't get the folder - or the buttons. And then I would also have to print out the luggage tags which would be nothing more than thin paper with nothing nice about them.

I think they can still send out luggage tags. Then we'd be doing our tag dance instead of the doc dance! (I'd say forget the buttons. I never use them.)

It's the bound ticket booklet that's time consuming, expensive to produce and heavy to mail. I've said for a long time that e-docs will eventually be the norm. If it helps keep fares affordable, then I'm all for it.

We recieved e-docs for our cruise on Celebrity Galaxy in February out of Galviston. And we did just what you did, used our last HAL packet. And we do fill out everything online.

The only thing that was a little awkward about edocs was the luggage tags, we had to make them out at the pier, and I really didn't care for that. I like having the ship luggage tags made out in advance. It is a personal bug.

We have our luggage identified about four different places, inside and out with all of our home information and phone numbers, but I still like using a return address label on the ship luggage tag so there is no doubt about who we are.

We have had luggage delayed on airlines, but never lost.:)

The only thing that was a little awkward about edocs was the luggage tags, we had to make them out at the pier, and I really didn't care for that. I like having the ship luggage tags made out in advance. It is a personal bug.

If you are set up to print Avery type self adhesive labels on your printer, The 2 3/8" wide (3 across a page) are just the right size to slap on the shipping tags. Print up a batch with name and address, with sailing date and phone number below the address. Another batch with your stateroom number in big numbers, and you can peel and stick at the cruise terminal with minimal effort. If you are doing this at the dock, the airline information that HAL asks for on the tags is meaningless, except for departure flights if you are going to reuse the tags for debarkation.

I must have too much time on my hands, as I have been giving some thought to the possibility/probability of HAL using e-docs just as the airlines use e-tickets.

The Immigration Form has evolved from a form in your docs that you filled out and turned in at embarkation; to a form you fill out electronically and print; to one which enters information into a database. Is this a baby step to e-docs? It would be one less thing to worry about leaving behind at home once you've left for the airport or pier. (OK. Who hasn't felt that moment of panic......?)

Shore Excursions have evolved from a form you had to fax back to Seattle to being electronically ordered and confirmation pages printed at home.

Maybe once they get Princess' software to work for them we can print our own tickets?:)

Celebrity already does this, and I presume RCCL as well. I never received any docs for my Celebrity cruise, but rather just went online once I received an email that they were ready, and printed them all out. The forms even contain a special bar code at the bottom. Makes check-in a breeze. The woman at the pier just scanned in the bar code, took the security photo for the room card, gave me the stuff, and off I went. An absolute snap.

A lot of folks say they would hate to see the day when we no longer get docs in the mail ... but really ... can't you doc dance with the electronic documents in your hand just as well? :) I did ... though everyone at work (where I printed the documents) thought I was nuts. :)

Also, electronic docs avoid the problem of documents being lost in transit ... plus it's cheaper. Who do you really think pays the DHL bill for shipping them? That cost is passed right along to you in the amount you pay for your cruise. Some people will say, "well, what about people who don't have internet access then?" Well, surely some special arrangements can be made for them ... either their travel agents can print everything off for them, or the cruise line directly in those few cases.

Anything that will reduce the cost of my cruise ... even by just a few dollars ... is a great idea as far as I'm concerned. For this reason, electronic documents are a good thing, in my opinion.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I lucked out on this particular "bug." I only had one large dufflebag to check (it was just a five-day cruise) and when I told the woman at embarkation that I needed a luggage tag for it, she suggested that if I wanted to, I could take my bag with me right through security and then bring it on the ship myself. Nice! No waiting for the cabin stewards to deliver it. I could get my unpacking out of the way immediately.

Celebrity was the only line that ever offered me the option to do this. Of course, it wouldn't be such a great option, though, if you had a lot of luggage.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If you are set up to print Avery type self adhesive labels on your printer, The 2 3/8" wide (3 across a page) are just the right size to slap on the shipping tags. Print up a batch with name and address, with sailing date and phone number below the address. Another batch with your stateroom number in big numbers, and you can peel and stick at the cruise terminal with minimal effort..

Say What, Grumpy?

I am interested in what I think you are talking about just can't understand what you are talking about. :o

How does one set up to print Avery type labels? I know there are those here who truly don't believe some of us are so computer spastic, but trust me........at least one of us here has no clue how to do what you suggest.

Feel like helping? If not, I certainly understand.

Say What, Grumpy?

I am interested in what I think you are talking about just can't understand what you are talking about. :o

How does one set up to print Avery type labels? I know there are those here who truly don't believe some of us are so computer spastic, but trust me........at least one of us here has no clue how to do what you suggest.

Feel like helping? If not, I certainly understand.

If you have Microsoft Word or another full word processor program, there is a way to set up and print labels. In Word, it will be in the "Tools" tab, then "letters and Mailings", then "labels". You might have to go to the help sections to figure out how to set it up, but it isn't difficult. You can buy sheets of the labels in just about any store that sells printing paper and supplies.

Lougee and I.....our DW's too for that matter :) ....were on the same Galaxy cruise out of Galveston back in 2005. I remember we both went through some concernation about not getting docs mailed to us but, as Lou pointed out in his posting above, it couldn't have been any easier. So much so that we both felt that e-docs are probably the future for cruise documentation. In those cases where the TA handles the Celebrity booking, and the cruiser isn't a computer person, I've been told that the TA simply prints out the e-docs and gives or mails them to the cruiser. Luggage tags were a problem and concern though Lou did a great job of printing out the ones that were included in the e-docs, had them laminated and then tied them to their bags. We found that the concierge at the Hotel Galvez had Celebrity tags and we fill them out at the hotel before we left for the cruise terminal. The terminal process for the Galaxy, at least in Galveston, was one of the quickest, easiest we've ever gone through. Have to give Celebrity good marks for a highly automated process that works very well and quickly.

I'm sure the switch to E-docs is inevitable... maybe we should consider adding a third item to the list of certainties... death, taxes, and a switch to E-docs!

I really like airline E-docs... had a couple of bad experiences with ticket agents pulling the wrong coupon from the book with the old paper, multiple copy booklets. I'm sure E-docs will end up being more efficient and less costly than the current method... but it just seems so impersonal. We'll get used to it though...

If you have Microsoft Word or another full word processor program, there is a way to set up and print labels. In Word, it will be in the "Tools" tab, then "letters and Mailings", then "labels". You might have to go to the help sections to figure out how to set it up, but it isn't difficult.

:) Thanks, Grumpy. I think I can do that!! I have microsoft word and will follow your directions. It'll be fun learning something new on my brand new laptop.....just breaking it in after replacing my previous 'loyal pal' last week.

Doesn't seem to be any question at all you are correct that sooner rather than later we will be using e-docs.

I need all of the original tickets, luggage tags etc. for my photo album.
If you get creative with a photoediting program, you can come up with your own originals... I know, it just won't be the same, though. My late first wife always put the airline boarding passes, cruise tickets, excursion brochures, sign & sail card, etc in her albums, too.

Archived