RCI Q&A with TAs and Diamond Plus Members

While on a recent Freedom pre-inaugural, I attended a separate meetings that RCI sponsored for TAs (which I'm not) and D+ members (which I am). There were Q&A sessions as a part of each meeting. Below are some of the highlights, which I have paraphrased. I posted this on Freedom Frenzy, but thought it might be of interest here.

+ RCI is really working hard to continue to build their relationship with TAs. They showcased their recent advertising which encourages consumers to use TAs, declared TA appreciation month (back in April, I think) with a big sign on their MIA building, and even ran a plane with a sign saying RCI supports TAs in Florida.

+ Richard Fain stated they considered turning the comp pre-inaugural cruises into revenue cruises but chose not to given the goodwill and opportunity they provide.

+ This summer, TAs will have enhanced online tools to select dining table sizes and link groups together for dining, but will still not have the ability to select specific tables.

+ RCI is also introducing new email / online tools to streamline group bookings, in an effort to get away from the current process of faxing.

+ There are no specific plans to stretch another ship (similar to Enchantment), but if there were, Grandeur would be the next logical choice, and that may happen in 2008.

+ Adam Goldstein seemed particularly pleased with the # of ships RCI will have in Europe in 2007, the fact that the newly-announced Legend 12 night Med cruises will stop in Alexandria, Egypt, and that the Explorer is now year-round in Bayonne.

+ TAs spoke up encouraging departures from Mobile, Charleston and the west coast. There seemed to be a lot of energy for Mobile, but it sounds like that may depend upon rebuilding in the area and overall demand.

+ Goldstein stated the company was closely watching the August ballot initiative in Alaska that would introduce siginificant taxes on cruise ships and their passengers, and that the outcome of this initiative would influence how RCI handles future Alaskan itineraries.

+ As far as additional west coast departures, Goldstein said that the company was looking at them closely, and that they were strategically important to RCI, but it boiled down to having sufficient ships to cover all of their itineraries.

+ Goldstein does not expect changes to the Jones / Passenger Services Act anytime soon, stating that the Act was really meant more to protect cargo interests for cruising, and that shipping interests continue to support that Act.

+ Goldstein stated that in general, RCI's philosophy is to add concierge lounges to those ships that do not already have them, but there are no specific plans or timetables for those additions.

+ When asked about the possibility of having blocks of rooms on each ship declared non-smoking, Goldstein cited the recent failed non-smoking Carnival experiment (on the Paradise, I believe) and the fact that it really impaired Carnival's ability to book groups on that ship. He stated the smoking issue was a subject of internal debate and they had not yet reached any kind of consensus on it. The sense I got was that they do not want to do anything that may impact their bottom line and the smoking policy is not likely to change anytime soon.

+ Goldstein also stated that a possible third private destination was possible within the next 5 years, and that such a destination would not necessarily be Caribbean-based (citing the newly restored Icy Strait Point in Alaska as an example). He stated that the key to any destination was the need for it to serve as a port of call for multiple ships on a regular basis in order for it to be economically viable.

Thank you so much for posting this information............very usful and informative. I do hope they add concierge lounges to all ships that don't have them.......that would be very nice.

What a great job of recapping the "Common Grounds" presentation. I was on the same sailing and applaud you for giving a very informative and accurate account of what was said. As you know, many times we get off a ship and see a review and can't imagine that the poster was on the same sailing as us!

+ As far as additional west coast departures, Goldstein said that the company was looking at them closely, and that they were strategically important to RCI, but it boiled down to having sufficient ships to cover all of their itineraries.

Thanks for this update... those of us who enjoy cruising from the west coast like to hear that. :D

Thanks for sharing that info.....and that's more than just words, Royal Caribbean really IS working hard on working with Travel Agents to give guests the best possible experience

Archived