Security issue using computers onboard

Cshell5

If I would decide to use the computers onboard and would access my financial information such as stock websites, online banking or credit card statements-do you think it would be secure?? My DH sometimes does this from his laptop on business trips through wireless access in the lobby of hotels. We are NOT bringing his laptop on this trip.

I have my laptop set up pretty securly and don't have a problem bringing it on board and using Wifi. Wifi connections are reasonably secure. If you're machine's not locked down and secure it's possible to get the information. You should have file sharing and anything like that turned off.

Some of it does depend on the security of the ships Wifi and the kind of encryption they use. I suspect they're using 128 bit encryption, which takes a fair amount of work to break into. It's not impossible to get through, but someone would have to pretty much be working on it 24/7. One of the answers is to log off and unplug after you use it. Make sure Windows Sharing is turned off, your virus software is up-to-date and your firewall is turned on. Just like you should at home.

BTW this is not my information. This was typed verbatim from my geek husband who is standing over my shoulder. He's a sys admin for a large mid-western hospital and is very good at his job. He says not to worry about it. You're far more likely to be pick-pocketed.

If I would decide to use the computers onboard and would access my financial information such as stock websites, online banking or credit card statements-do you think it would be secure?? My DH sometimes does this from his laptop on business trips through wireless access in the lobby of hotels. We are NOT bringing his laptop on this trip.

The on-board computers are connected via Ethernet, there aren't any Wi-Fi issues to worry about. If you must check your stock and banking web sites you should be sure to clear the browser's cache and history files when you're done.

It's highly unlikely anyone has installed key-logging software or is monitoring the Ethernet traffic on the ship's network, so probably no worries there.

It's a vacation though...can't you wait until you're home to check your stocks and banking info?

ps...tell your husband using the Wi-Fi in a hotel isn't secure at all, unless he's using some sort of VPN connection.

My understanding is that Princess has WiFi. Am I wrong on that account?

Just checked the Princess Site and found this:

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (December 03, 2004) - Passengers who pack their own laptop can now use it to check their email or surf the Internet aboard any Princess ship. Wireless "hotspots" for Internet access have been expanded throughout the fleet, and are now available on all 14 Princess vessels.

It's a vacation though...can't you wait until you're home to check your stocks and banking info?

Paul-I can always wait to check stocks and of course credit card statements, but my DH enjoys looking at stocks and keeping up w/the market. I'll be in the spa.:)

I know how to clear history but--how do you clear your cache?

Thanks to both of you for the info.

There is wi-fi in the atrium and in the internet cafe. Even if you computer is secure the signals come and go from the ship on open airwaves. I have not found the ship to use any encryption on e-mail or anything else. The signals to the satillite are free for the grabbing. I personally stay away from my financial info on cruises, no guarentees of any security.

Yes... Princess ships do have wi-fi available but you can use it only in the atrium.

I believe the OP was referring to using the ship's computers which are in the internet cafe and some ship libraries, depending on the ship. When you use the ship's computers, you do not have access to the computer's operating system nor are you able to modify I.E.'s tools or preferences. You have just a mouse, keyboard and monitor -- no CPU. Princess uses their own software and screens to access popular email clients and the internet.

I would not worry about security when checking your stocks or personal financial accounts. When you log out completely from your session, everything is cleared out.

niedel,

No you are not mistaken, they have wifi, but only in the atrium area. You buy time in blocks. But the OP said they were NOT taking a laptop and was wondering about the security of the internet cafe computers.

chrysalis,

I also understand that is how the computers work. I have checked on diff. Princess ships and haven't been able to get to any options that allow clearing of the cache, ourselves. They have most things deactivated so people cannot accidentally or on purpose screw up the computers.

Taking your own laptop and buying time using it is cheaper than using the ship's Internet Cafe. I didn't find this out until two days before the cruise ended. :eek:

It's also handier because you can download/save your email on your laptop.

It is especially handy to offload digital photos to your laptop. If you have a CD burner in your laptop, you can also burn a back-up of your photos in case something happens to your laptop.

I'd debated whether or not to take mine. Soooo glad that I did. Will take it again on future cruises, too.:)

We keep an eye on the market also, but we do it thru yahoo finance, we do not open our stock portfolio..........nor would i open our banking.....nothing that needs a password to get in to............

I check my stocks while on a cruise.

I have a Schwab account, but I do not use it to access the information.

I set up my information on Yahoo.......where I entered which stocks I own and how many shares. I access that to see how they are doing. that way I do not have to use the Schwab account number or password.

Please delete ANYTHING you do. I have lost count of files and folders left on ship's computers. Never saw any money type info, but plenty of embarrassing letters.

It would not be secure unless you have a VPN set up. Same with wireless hotspots at hotels. It is not secure. Also I only access my e-mail with a SSL connection.

Archived