Is Ncl cutting back quality and service or what

fdk71265

I haven't been cruising enough to do comparisons, I know. However, if a buffet really isn't giving you what you would like, you might think that a hamburger or hot dog could at least take up the empty space in your stomach. I tried that on the POAm last fall. Now, I like hamburgers and hot dogs, and they don't have to be gourmet to satisfy me. But these were really bad. Hamburger patties were tasteless (little meat taste, not just lack of salt or spices) and greasy. Hot dogs were putrid--strong gamey tastes that Der Weinerschnitzel wouldn't touch--I don't know where they got those things but I couldn't eat half of one. In the Navy we had some names for the meats that were found in hotdogs and cold cuts (I won't mention them here). In fact, the Navy gave us better hamburgers and hotdogs.

It sounds like neither of us have been on the Spirit so guess we shouldn't, certainly I am referring to myself more than you be judging what the hamburgers were like. I am not much of a hot dog eater but I have always found the hamburgers to be very good on NCL as long as they are fresh and haven't been setting around forever.Again, they are not like a $7.50 burger at a top restaurant, but I don't expect that. They are normal size, have all the condiments plus fresh lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, pickles, onions, etc. They were not over done like on some cruise ships I have sailed nor were they undercooked. Maybe I have been lucky. NMNita

I don't think that Hamburgers and Hot Dogs are the issue. It's OX Tails and poor quality products used in the kitchens.
I have a agree with the Ox Tails although they are extremely tasty they certainly do not belong on a ships menu anymore than when we crusied Costa and they offered Liver and Onions the first and last night!!! YUKKKKKKK

I don't think that Hamburgers and Hot Dogs are the issue. It's OX Tails and poor quality products used in the kitchens.

Well, that's true. We don't go to sea for the burgers and hot dogs. But surely there is something wrong with a kitchen that either screws up something so fundamental, or is careless about what they bring aboard. Burgers and hotdogs were spoken of earlier in the thread; that's where I got started. However, I am generally a fan of NCL food, if you've seen any of my contributions to these boards. It's just that there is such a wide variation in quality and taste that I found.

The concept of Freesyle is a good one, I have no problem with that! Sometimes it's a little odd to see clothing choices run the gamut from tuxedos to t-shirts on "formal" evenings....but that's the way it is and THAT I can accept. Freestyle is what drew us to NCL...that, and the fact that it was in and out of NYC in the winter. BUT the food was a great dissapointment to us and to those we spoke with on the ship (FEB.2006) It's really not plausible to say it's subjective when so many negative comments surface on a regular basis on this, other places on this site and in other forums. NCL has got to get it's act together and do something about the quality of the food as well as the menu selections offered. We went with VERY reasonable expectations (as long as someone shops for it, brings it home, cooks it and cleans up........we're really easy), but the situation with the food on NCL is way beyond that.

I am amazed!! People, have you tried oxtails braised in tomato sauce? A wonderful meal. Before you flame me, check on "Osso Buco" and how many of you know what "veal shank" is.

Come on, do not knock oxtails if you have not tried them.

Just a gourmet cook talking!!!

I haven't been cruising enough to do comparisons, I know. However, if a buffet really isn't giving you what you would like, you might think that a hamburger or hot dog could at least take up the empty space in your stomach. I tried that on the POAm last fall. Now, I like hamburgers and hot dogs, and they don't have to be gourmet to satisfy me. But these were really bad. Hamburger patties were tasteless (little meat taste, not just lack of salt or spices) and greasy. Hot dogs were putrid--strong gamey tastes that Der Weinerschnitzel wouldn't touch--I don't know where they got those things but I couldn't eat half of one. In the Navy we had some names for the meats that were found in hotdogs and cold cuts (I won't mention them here). In fact, the Navy gave us better hamburgers and hotdogs.

While I like most of their food, I agree wholeheartedly with what Huskies said. These are the worst HB and HD on the planet. For at least the last 8 cruises, I would have one or two during the week or 10 days and guess what? Still bad!! School cafeteria hamburgers are better than these and that is scary!

The worst food I had on a cruise was on the Wind in March of 2000. The food was absolutely like hospital food: bland, without any seasoning, kind of like we were all on diets for ulcers or something. Thankfully I have been on 6 or 7 more since then with NCL and the food was better. The other cruiselines have similar food but somewhat better. Of course I pay more for the trip too generally. One other comment: My last experience at the Bistro (we eat there once or twice every cruise) was bad. I always get a filet and mine was fatty in parts and tough/grissel in others. A decent filet should never be tough with grissel! Nothing worth paying additional for by far. I only ate a few small bites as it was unacceptable. I didn't have the heart to tell my waiter why I didn't eat it when he came to collect my plate. I probably should have.

I didn't have the heart to tell my waiter why I didn't eat it when he came to collect my plate. I probably should have.

You have the heart to complain about it, repeatedly on the boards...but WE can't do anything to solve the problem. The waiter, COULD have!

Oxtails? Nope. Ground beef? Nope. I must have had the old menu. I'll be interested in the food in the Med.

If NCL has cut the quality of food, they'll see their decision reflected in future cruisers.

Ill add my 2 cents, coming up on my 9th cruise, 2nd with NCL. Ive sailed many of the major lines (HAL, DIS, RCCl , X, PRINCESS, NCL) and unfortunately I do say that, from our 5/2004 NCL Sky (now PoA) sailing, NCL had the worst food out of all the ships.

As someone said earlier, for people who consider a trip to IHOP or Denny's as a "night out" they may be impressed, but NCL's food disappointed us. Yes we are fortunate to live in SF and have great food options. But like many people have said, on other cruise lines MANY dishes look good and its tough to decide on just one...but on NCL, it was difficult even finding ONE dish that was worth ordering, and no meal ever stood out as being great on NCL. Note, we did not try ANY of the extra-cost restaurants onboard.

We had the "blandness" problem on Princess last October, but they served excellent cuts of meat and great choices (many of the dinner selections were available in the buffet too). On Princess most of the dishes were simply cooked without seasoning, and adding it at the table does not "fix" a dish that is cooked without seasoning. We also understand that many seniors are on these boats and cannot tolerate spicy/seasoned dishes. But from our 5/2004 NCL cruise, it has more than a "seasoning" problem. They have a menu problem and food quality problem. We will post in a few weeks after getting off Pride of Hawaii to report on this issue.

I am amazed!! People, have you tried oxtails braised in tomato sauce? A wonderful meal. Before you flame me, check on "Osso Buco" and how many of you know what "veal shank" is.

Everything you mentioned is "peasant" food:rolleyes: And yes.......this is a former chef and cooking teacher talking:D

While I like most of their food, I agree wholeheartedly with what Huskies said. These are the worst HB and HD on the planet. For at least the last 8 cruises, I would have one or two during the week or 10 days and guess what? Still bad!! School cafeteria hamburgers are better than these and that is scary!

Who would go on a cruise and eat HB and HD???:confused:

One other comment: My last experience at the Bistro (we eat there once or twice every cruise) was bad. I always get a filet and mine was fatty in parts and tough/grissel in others. A decent filet should never be tough with grissel! Nothing worth paying additional for by far.

Your filet mignon would have been replaced immediatley.

Your fault;)

So you've cruised on every ship in the fleet, within the last 7 or 8 months?

I say this, because 9 months ago, when I was last on an NCL ship, the food was great...and I'm a very picky eater.

My comment about the food issue being fleet wide came from what I read from other posters about other ncl ships. I understand this food issue is very subjective. In my review I stated that if you do not indulge in fine dining at home and a local buffet is sufficient for you then the spirit's cuisine may be to your liking in my opinion. The food was not nasty to me, it was just edible. I did not starve but I never wanted seconds either.

This is the same as when I have pointed out that true beef strogonoff does come with beets. I think some of the cruisers need to depend on nothing but steak and potatoes. I too, am a gourmet cook. I do understand the concern about Ox Tails though. Not because they are not delicious, but most people don't see it that way.NMNIta

It sounds like neither of us have been on the Spirit so guess we shouldn't, certainly I am referring to myself more than you be judging what the hamburgers were like. I am not much of a hot dog eater but I have always found the hamburgers to be very good on NCL as long as they are fresh and haven't been setting around forever.Again, they are not like a $7.50 burger at a top restaurant, but I don't expect that. They are normal size, have all the condiments plus fresh lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, pickles, onions, etc. They were not over done like on some cruise ships I have sailed nor were they undercooked. Maybe I have been lucky. NMNita

If a burger that costs $7.50 is your idea of a top restaurant then I see why you would have no problem with the food. You should always expect quality in your food when you cruise. Just because their are a couple thousand pax to cook for should not excuse ncl from offering a large variety of tasty food. How can you justify serving cheap ramen oodles & noodles on a buffet? I know I'm not the only one who saw this. What an insult. Food is the last thing you should have to worry about when cruising. Also, someone mentioned that the salad bar was good and plentiful. Sorry, but a shaky round table with 10 items and wishbone salad dressing in a bottle for you to pour is not "MY" idea of good. To all that love the food on ncl, I am happy for you. Personally, I feel they should be ashamed. Put two and two together, the prices have dropped to rock bottom recently. That means, corners WILL be cut.

Cosmopolitan--

That is exactly what I did on the Star in Feb, though for a different reason. My filet came much too done (after ordering it rare) for my tastes. I did talk to the server and he ordered one rare for me.

Seahorse--

Maybe we should all eat "peasant" food since they do serve those dishes in 5 star restaurants.

This is the same as when I have pointed out that true beef strogonoff does come with beets. I think some of the cruisers need to depend on nothing but steak and potatoes. I too, am a gourmet cook. I do understand the concern about Ox Tails though. Not because they are not delicious, but most people don't see it that way.NMNIta

It's the same if you order choclate chip cookies. Chocolate chips is a major part of the dish, and we'll all be dissappointed if we didn't get them. Or ordering pecan pie, and getting a sho-fly pie imitation instead. Pecans is a part of this pie. Beets is traditionally a part of Beef Strogonoff, and my head spins around in circles when some complain about getting beets......

Golly, the menu states Beef Strogonoff, not Beef Tips with Noodles.

I think it would be best if we stopped nitpicking about oxtails and beets and recognized that, as others have pointed out.....if a "night out" involves IHOP or Denny's, then some of the stuff served on the Dawn might constitute "great food". NCL has to get it's act together before we'll sail on it again. Taking a "Pollyanna-ish" attitude about NCL's very evident shortcomings won't help the problem. They've got a good concept (Freestyle) but they've ruined it with substandard cuisine.

I think it would be best if we stopped nitpicking about oxtails and beets and recognized that, as others have pointed out.....if a "night out" involves IHOP or Denny's, then some of the stuff served on the Dawn might constitute "great food". NCL has to get it's act together before we'll sail on it again. Taking a "Pollyanna-ish" attitude about NCL's very evident shortcomings won't help the problem. They've got a good concept (Freestyle) but they've ruined it with substandard cuisine.

I think it would be best if you'd stop trying to impose YOUR view on those of us who feel very differently. No, some of us who have dined at The Four Seasons (in the Seagram Building, not on the Dawn) and Le Cirque and the old Ernie's (see Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo) DON'T recognize your generalization at all, based on our experience in NCL dining rooms.

Here's a quote from a current thread about a Sun cruise last week: "Now I’m not a picky eater and enjoy just about everything, but after having cruised so many times, you can’t help but compare with other cruises and cruiselines you’ve been on. My opinion? I think NCL has some of the best quality and selection that I’ve experienced. Most of the time the food was hot and very tasty."

Here's another describing last week's Crown cruise: "We enjoyed the food at Seven Seas. The person that posted earlier and said the lunch was the same every day must have eaten at the buffet. Our lunches were different every day."

Perhaps you should cruise HAL or Celebrity and eat where, when, with whom, and wearing what you are told to by the cruise line, and then kid yourself into thinking you're getting better food.

:) I concur.....I don't indulge in food fights, but I still say, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" and I think there may have been a sow's ear in the hot dogs on the Dawn!! (Actually, sliced pig's ear is a delicious delicacy in China.....)

:) I concur.....I don't indulge in food fights, but I still say, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" and I think there may have been a sow's ear in the hot dogs on the Dawn!! (Actually, sliced pig's ear is a delicious delicacy in China.....)

:D :D There are "good" hot dogs......and there are..........:eek:

My extended family of 13 just returned from the May 14-21 Alaskan sailing of the Norwegian Star. This was the first time any of us traveled on NCL. My immediate family consists of 5: Me, my wife, and 3 kids ages 2, 4, and 7. This was our 9th cruise. This cruise was by far, not only the worst cruise we have ever taken, but the worst vacation period. This was due to many reasons which will be covered in this letter. Donald:mad:

Hi Donald!

Sorry to hear about the sickness you experienced aboard the Star, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out how this relates to food choices. Your post deserves a thread of its own, not tacked onto another, and being completely off topic.

Archived