Shoes on Dunns River Falls

cruise3122

We recently purchased some sandals that are meant for water wear at a local discount shoe store. I got men's because the women's were much more expensive. These are not as openly made as Teva sandals, so I'm hoping for no cut up toes.

Either would work fine, it comes down to personal preference.

My wife and I wore water shoes and they worked great, we both preferred the water shoes because they did not feel waterlogged, like sneakers would. We did not rough up our feet during the climb, like several people did who were wearing open-toed sandals.

That being said, sneakers would offer a little more protection in case you slipped and your foot wen tunder a rock or something.

Either way, the climb is awesome and is a great opportunity for picture taking (just remember a waterproof camera).

My husband wore sneakers and I wore the teva style water sandals. Either would work, but I prefer the sandals. The sneakers got a little slippery and were completely soaked. The sandals had better tractin, but you can cut up your toes and ankles too.

The water shoes would work too.

Did the Falls in Oct 05..be very careful..its slippery on the rocks. We wore WaterShoes. Let me be honest, if your not in *tip-top-shape* & have long legs, think twice. We are glad we done it, but would never do it again.:o

I was very glad that we had the water shoes. I wouldn't want to do it in sandals for fear of my foot slipping around. Old sneakers might be ok, but also might get water logged and heavy. May not be a big deal - it only takes about 45 minutes to climb. You most likely will be in ankle deep water the whole time and occasionally thigh deep, depending on your guide. The guides do it barefoot -and about 4 trips a day.

You will be looking for toe holds in rocks as you climb/get pulled up, so in my opinoin, the most important features in a shoe is both non slip tread and solid fit.

c79fscd.jpg?phwx.dEBJxXDwggg

I agree with the previous poster. I wore Teva sandles, but a closed water shoe would have been better. Sneakers can get water logged and heavy. Great fun in retrospect, but a difficult climb.

I had to stop a few times because I was getting rocks in my water

socks. By the time I got to the top the sole had seperated from the

rest of the shoe. I just threw them away since they're so cheap.

That reminds me I need to buy a new pair.

Archived