Anyone booked a spontaneous cruise?

Some friends of ours are going on a cruise in July, invited us along today, and we just booked our room! I thought this summer was going to be boring, but not anymore :D Anyone else a spontaneous cruiser?

We went to Alaska on Serenade in September and just prior to leaving booked Adventure of the Seas for 6 days after we got back from Alaska. Three weeks after we got back we went on Voyager to Bermuda...we did 3 cruises in 8 weeks. Two were spontaneous. Alaska was booked for a year.

In February my sister and I booked a cruise for March (about 4 weeks prior) on NCL...I have nothing planned now till the Explorer on 10/20/06........but

You never know!!!!!!!

We did a family cruise last August. By November, my DW was starting to talk about going on another one "someday". To make a long story short, in January we booked a cruise for 3 weeks later, during the first week of February - just the two of us. We had a GREAT time.

Oh, yes - a few weeks later we booked our next cruise (another family cruise), but we're waiting until October for this one. :D

Booked our first two cruises within 3 weeks of sailing...the 3rd was booked three months prior to sailing...our next one we booked over a year :eek: before sailing! It seems sooooo far away! I haven't ruled out booking another last-minute cruise this summer if a bargain comes along.

We had a five day window where both kids were going to be gone during the summer a couple of years ago. I searched all over the web for something to do that didn't require airfare and wouldn't cost a fortune. I had just about given up when an advertising email showed up in my mailbox. It was for a 5 day cruise out of New York leaving the same day we were taking my daughter to the airport and arriving back the day before my son needed to be picked up at sleep away camp. And it was 249$pp for a OV. PERFECT!!

I called on the Monday, got one of the last two rooms, made a whirlwind trip to the mall and we were on the ship 5 days later. It was a little hectic but there was no time for anticipation!

Yep, several times. Have come right off the ship, home Monday morning, call TA and back on the same ship 3 weeks later. For me, it's most dangerous to want to book another cruise right after I get home from one.

Dave

Absolutely. Decided in March that we "had" to go on a vacation and was on a ship 3 weeks later. I had one booked more than a year in advance and am still waiting for that one! It's a lot more exciting when it's a big rush to get ready and not as much waiting....

A cruise in July? In my book that's called long term planning! We usually book about 3 weeks ahead of time! Once we booked 6 weeks in advance.

LOL Alli...well, as you can see long term planning for us is a full year in advance, so this was pretty spontaneous for us :) If only DH wasn't military we could jump on those 3-week in advance cruises! Sounds like many of you got awesome deals this way!

Is there an advantage to booking so soon before the cruise? Price? Are some of you close to the port? I always worry that I won't get air if I don't book early enough.

I wish I could go on as many cruises as some of you! Sounds fun!

A few times I have. I've done the "book a quick cruise" between jobs. The latest what I call short-term was I booked a cruise 3 weeks out this past January. I prefer to plan it out in advance but if the cruise itch gets to me.. I react. :D

I think we're able to do the late booking cause we live close to the ports....no airfare to deal with. I would have to say, we've always gotten a great deal on our cruises. Our last cruise 5/07/06 we booked cause a 'happy hour' special popped up on our computor! We hadn't even discussed going a cruise this year!

A couple of years ago a Hurricane was rolling in, and my boss wanted to "get out".

But all the planes were booked or way too $$$$. So he got in the car to leave, and his wife said, "Maybe we should sail away from the storm......."

Drove to the dock, got on the next ship, and ended up off of key west for 4 days......

He says that it was the best trip he ever took.

Last cruise on the Majesty was booked 6 weeks out....

I was just messing around on the web, found an airfare deal for $49 each way to Florida from VA, THEN looked at the cruise. It was DIRT cheap:D .

I think the prices dropped down very low last August because the hurricane season was in full force and they were trying to entice travel. Worked for me!!!! Took my DS for his 14th birthday (DH had to stay home for work). I managed to sneak that cruise in between 2 hurricanes.

My first cruise ever was last November aboard the Radiance. The kids and I had such a great time that on the last day we decided we wanted to stay on for another week, but the sailing was closed. So when our cruise ended we disembarked, found a number for a cruises only agent, called while at the port and booked us on the Carnival Valor for a week. Then we took a cab over to the Carnival terminal and waited an hour for the desk to open, then checked in and boarded the Carnival ship with our Radiance seapass(s) still attached to our wrists!:p

Sandie

My first cruise ever was last November aboard the Radiance. The kids and I had such a great time that on the last day we decided we wanted to stay on for another week, but the sailing was closed. So when our cruise ended we disembarked, found a number for a cruises only agent, called while at the port and booked us on the Carnival Valor for a week. Then we took a cab over to the Carnival terminal and waited an hour for the desk to open, then checked in and boarded the Carnival ship with our Radiance seapass(s) still attached to our wrists!:p

Sandie

I bow down and say, "I am not worthy, I am not worthy"!

Booked Freedom of the Seas 3 days ago for June 4th! I am totally in awe of Gmoney who booked day prior! I would do it in a minute if I was closer to a port.

Well I'd say you're doing pretty well yourself! I lived in Philly at the time and we booked ont he 2nd sailing of HAL's Noordam out of NYC. Living near a cruise port does make it much easier.

See you on Freedom in 12 days!

Hmmm... now I'm thinking of quitting my job and moving to a cruise port! :p

But we did do a spontaneous cruise once... spent a week on Navigator, got home on Saturday night... got sad and said, "Well, then... let's just do it again." Hopped on the internet, booked it and were back onboard our beloved ship in 2 weeks. To say the crew were shocked would be an understatement, lol. But to us, the most magical thing was that they still remembered our names! :D :eek:

Oh and btw, that's when and why we became unabashedly, "Loyal to Royal."

That being said, I bow down to you, fierysand. Oh and btw, would you like to adopt us? :rolleyes:

Archived