LIVE From 6/4 Freedom of the Seas - Add your thoughts here & WIN PRIZES

Mr. Ski and I are home safely after a fabulous week! Before I start unpacking I just have to take a moment to say what a phenomenal week we had! The ship is fantastic but most of all we so much enjoyed meeting all of the fine folks that we shared this awesome week with. Meeting the wonderful folks from our roll call thread was so awesome! We have a fantastic group. The PBS rocks! It started with a fantastic dinner on the "Night Before Freedom" at Lombardi's and just continued all week. What a great, great group! We really enjoyed our tablemates who made dinner really fun also. All four were from NJ (youse guys know who you are!) and I think for the most part they could even understand my southern drawl most of the time! LOL! We enjoyed seeing folks that we had met on previous cruises too. We enjoyed meeting new folks at the flowrider, at breakfast and lunch in WJ, on shore excursions, on tenders, etc., etc. What a wonderful group of folks!

Check out Jane's blog today. She has photos on it now and the PBS is represented. Thanks Jane!

Hope everyone else travelling home today makes it safely and those staying an extra day or so aren't treated too badly by the tropical system moving through!

Hugs and kisses to all!

Until later!

Seeing as I seem unable to write personal stories about the week yet (I start to cry every time I attempt it), I figured I would point out a couple of interesting "new" things which we experienced this week. You can see that RCI is truly committed to making Freedom a Family Frenzy. :)

One night, they closed the disco to adults and made it "Teen Only". I thought that must be pretty cool for the teenagers. What about the grown-ups though? They turned the Solarium into a funky disco....Ernie (eroller) likened it to a hot trendy Miami-ish club. They called it "twenty", and had velvet rope entrances, really neat hanging sculptures that created a "dance floor" area, and funky drink menus on the tables.

I was there for a grand total of 15 minutes, as it was blistering muggy and hot. That's not comfortable when you are loaded up with booze already. LOL So, I headed up to the quiet air-conditioning of Olive or Twist. At 2:00am, however, Olive or Twist became the official "after hours party". Huge crowds, great music, and open very very late. Fantastic evening with all of my new CC friends!!!

I also noticed "Family Quest" advertised one evening in the cruise compass. This seems like a great idea!! So many wish they could do Quest as a family, yet it really isn't an environment for children. Well, now kids can play too!!

As a 40 year old single woman, I have a true phobia/trepidation of out-of-control kids. I must give huge kudos to RCI for creating exceptional venues for youth of all ages. They make it "cool" to be a kid and hang out in areas that are separate from the grown ups.

Only on the last night (hmmmmm, last night!) I saw one young girl running and jumping down the steps (the first "unruly" child I had seen all week). An RCI employee actually stopped her to say "no running". The child obliged and decided to hop down the stairs instead. He caught up with her to add, "and no jumping". I made a point to thank him. :) Impressive job.....

One more miscellaneous observation.....formal nights. Never have I seen so many well-dressed people on a cruise ship!!! MOST women wore gowns, MOST men tuxedos (especially on the first night). I even made a point to tell a 14-ish boy in an elevator how handsome he looked in his tux, and you could tell that he was proud to be looking so good.

I bring this up because you read a lot about the declining state of affairs on cruise ships. Well, I'll tell you....not THIS ship! Very well done, RCI and guests!!!

Over the coming days, as my liver does its job of cleansing my bloodstream, and my mind is in a place where I don't sob every time I try to type, I'll have lots of tales to tell you. Until then, I am off to watch the season premiere of Deadwood and put up my swollen feet, hoping to fit them in shoes by morning! LOL

Tracy

Thanks Tracy! Freedom sounds so good I can hardly wait 2 more weeks! And as I am reading your review a reminder that Deadwood is coming on (which I would have forgotten). Look forward to your stories. Did you bring home your compasses? I would love a scan copy if you have them! Thanks again!

Thanks to the inaugural cruisers who took their time to write to us. I am looking forward to reviews but leave home tomorrow for NYC till Sat and then its on to Mia where we await FOS on June 18th. Hopefully the storm will clear up and we'll be fine.

Hi, We have been home for a few hours now...and I thought I would check in....We did the "Express Carry out" with the luggage...which meant we could have gotten off the ship as early as 6:30am...which was wonderful! Scott and I were able to get breakfast at the Windjammer and then head out to the airport...we were off the ship in no time at all since we carried our own luggage...I prefer this method, because I dont like to think about how Hard they are throwing my luggage around and tromping on it etc...not to mention the waiting time in locating it....It took us 30 minutes to get from our AFT Stateroom thru customs and to the Airport...

We just got back home from meeting all our wonderful new friends (PBS and not) and wanted to offer my two cents worth on the Freedom of the Seas Inaugural Voyage. I don't know if I spelled that right, but I'll bet I'm closer than how it is spelled on our Crown and Anchor lunch bags we received. If you go this year and get one, you'll see what I mean.

The ship is gorgeous. There is so much to do and see, I never really found the time to post while on board. It's just as well, since the way I type, we couldn't afford it anyway at .50 per minute.

The food was better than most I have had on our other RCCL cruises and the wait staff was as wonderful as I have always come to expect. Our bar waiter was always timely with the French Kisses, etc. and Barnismom really appreciated that.

Our cabin attendant was very nice and very efficient. They even have some new "Towel Buddies" that I had never seen before. Speaking of towels, they are so nice and fluffy, I had a hard time zipping up my suitcase this morning. The new bedding is wonderful too. It's hard to believe you are not in some expensive hotel. No more metal bar in the back at the most incovenient time, if you know what I mean.

We went to almost all of the shows and events and they were all great. My favorite show was "Once Upon a Time". If you are on the Freedom and they have this show, do not miss it. My wife won $753 at Bingo, but even if she hadn't, I would have given them high marks on how they made it fun. Although some people were complaining that they were not being "serious" enough. In my opinion, they were out of line, I thought the whole idea was to have a good time.

Lastly, I want to express my appreciation to all my fellow PBS cruisers and dinner tablemates for making this cruise the best I have ever experienced. As you can probably tell, they all all genuine, caring, giving people who I really enjoyed meeting and cruising with. So much so, that some of us are already booked on the April 25, 2008 cruise to Bermuda, San Marten, etc.

Patrick (aka: Mr. Flamingo Legs)

It feels so strange to be back home and work tomorrow; grrh. We had a wonderful week on the beautiful Freedom of the Seas.

Embarkation was so quick and efficient; sadly the disembarkation was a nightmare for a number of us. It was wonderful meeting the PBS and the other wonderful guests we met at lunch or on the excursions.

I think the Meet and Mingle group should all thank Captain Bill for being so gracious and autographing the beautiful poem compiled and written by the original PBS group. All of the activities were fun thanks to Ken Rush.

The only negative was the 3 1/2 hour dinner at CHOPS. However, with the wonderful company it passed quickly.

Our cabin was wonderful (8314) as well as the new bedding! Way to go...

I hope that the gang that stayed over at South Beach managed to have a wonderful day. Here's to all staying in touch!

Love,

Janice

P.S. For those of you who purchased the video you can re-live the Sexy Legs contest for years to come! My hubby is quite a trooper!

Ok guys, surely someone had to spend some quality time at " On Air". How was it? How were the song selections? I heard that there is some sort of like a gong show that they do? Is it true? Thanks.

Thanks to all of the cruisers that took time out of their cruise to give us updates, it was great and informative. I am looking forward to my cruise even more than ever.

Excellent cruise. Met some wonderful people from the Cruise Critic Group. My wife and I were a little dissapointed with RC's lack luster efforts toward the first sailing. Where were the fireworks? Where were the big name entertainers? Where were the extras one would expect with over 900 Platinum and Diamond members on board? I guess you need to be Oprah to get fireworks. Royal C., you had a real chance to blow everyone's socks off, but didn't.

Hi all - Emmy, Cruizin Rob, Bridal and more-

I truly want to thank you from the bottom of my cruising and curious heart! Your posts meant so much to us here at home - you have no idea. I can't thank you enough and also can't wait to see all the pics! (Thanks Rob - great shots!)

I know you're bummed to be home - as I always am - so just know that you were wonderful to post so much during your flawless cruise!!

Can't wait for freedom! hugs to all, Mary

PS: Tracy - I am so understanding of what you're going thru. Having to leave the ship is the hardest thing ever. I feel absolutely like crying. You've got my sympathy!

Congratulations to Flamingo Legs! He was the winner of the very first Sexy Legs competition on board the Freedom of the Seas. My wife and I were please to be eating dinner every night with the champ. I actually saw the legs, very deserving! Patrick, it was a pleasure spending time at dinner with you and your wife along with Rob and his sister. I would say our best dinner group yet. Thanks guys.

We just got back home from meeting all our wonderful new friends (PBS and not) and wanted to offer my two cents worth on the Freedom of the Seas Inaugural Voyage. I don't know if I spelled that right, but I'll bet I'm closer than how it is spelled on our Crown and Anchor lunch bags we received. If you go this year and get one, you'll see what I mean.

Patrick (aka: Mr. Flamingo Legs)

LOL Patrick....you are right! I was so excited to get the lunch bag that I never even noticed that inaugural is misspelled! (And probably wouldn't have had you not brought it up! Thanks...now you have spoiled my excitement! LOL!!!!!!!) Most everyone was "fussy" over it saying "season" as opposed to "voyage" that I don't think most people noticed the spelling of inaugural, etc. LOL! I was just happy to get the gift. At first cabin steward said it was only 1 per stateroom. I tried to convincing him we each should get one. Later that night a second one did appear in our stateroom. Darn good thing since everyone else was telling me they got two from the beginning. LOL But now that you have so kindly pointed out the spelling....well....don't know how to feel! LOL! Bet I still use it! LOL!

Ok guys, surely someone had to spend some quality time at " On Air". How was it? How were the song selections? I heard that there is some sort of like a gong show that they do? Is it true? Thanks.

Thanks to all of the cruisers that took time out of their cruise to give us updates, it was great and informative. I am looking forward to my cruise even more than ever.

I'm truly sorry no one is answering your question. I did not read the thread to find out what questions were out there. Like I said days ago...since they took unlimited cybercabin away and it is just a per minute fee....I simply tried to post quickly and did not read what others had written.

As far as the On Air Club...it did look like it was a good size area. We only walked through it on our way to/from Studio B. Believe me had I even thought about stopping they would have sounded the horn with 7 shorts and a long and lowered the lifeboats because everyone would have jumped overboard including the captain. So even the thought of karaoke cannot enter my mind. At home we will listen/watch others sing at the club, etc. but onboard there was too much other stuff to do (for us). However, I can understand if you are a good singer and this is something you enjoy then I can understand your anticipation in wanting the scoop on it.

I may miss something but....scanning the compass...

Day 1 10:00pm to midnight "Karaoke Kick Off"

(Bar open 3:00 pm to 1:00 am)

Day 2 10:00 to 11:00 pm Family Karaoke

11:15 to 12:45 Adult Karaoke

Day 3 11:15 pm to 1:15 am Tequila Karaoke (Adults)

(Bar open 3:00 pm to 1:30 am)

Day 4 10:00 pm to 11:00 pm Family K

11:15pm to 12:45 am Adult K

(Bar open 4:00 pm to 1:00 am)

Day 5 10:00 pm to 11:30 pm Adult K

11:45 pm to 12:45 am Teen K

Day 6 11:00 pm to 12:30 am Kids Karaoke & Joke night

Day 7 10:30 pm to 12:30 am Joke & Karaoke night (adults)

There appear to be lots of other activities going on in the On Air Club at other times during the day. (Cry Baby Activities for babies, Family Scavenger Hunt, etc.)

Hope this helps a little. Sorry I can't address the question about private booths, etc. I just simply "noticed" the area as we were walking past it and never actually stopped to look or check-it out.

Hopefully someone else actually "checked it out" and can give you better info!

What was the crown & anchor gift?

I'm guessing the C&A gift was the lunch bag that says Freedom with the route, etc. I was never sure if this was the C&A gift or if everyone on the ship received one. Maybe someone else can clarify for you. The lunch bag is nice (even if there is some misspelling on it Patrick....LOL) but is small. will work for my lunch but way too small to pack Mr. Ski's in.

I'm truly sorry no one is answering your question. I did not read the thread to find out what questions were out there. Like I said days ago...since they took unlimited cybercabin away and it is just a per minute fee....I simply tried to post quickly and did not read what others had written.

As far as the On Air Club...it did look like it was a good size area. We only walked through it on our way to/from Studio B. Believe me had I even thought about stopping they would have sounded the horn with 7 shorts and a long and lowered the lifeboats because everyone would have jumped overboard including the captain. So even the thought of karaoke cannot enter my mind. At home we will listen/watch others sing at the club, etc. but onboard there was too much other stuff to do (for us). However, I can understand if you are a good singer and this is something you enjoy then I can understand your anticipation in wanting the scoop on it.

I may miss something but....scanning the compass...

Day 1 10:00pm to midnight "Karaoke Kick Off"

Day 2 10:00 to 11:00 pm Family Karaoke

11:15 to 12:45 Adult Karaoke

Day 3 11:15 pm to 1:15 am Tequila Karaoke (Adults)

Day 4 10:00 pm to 11:00 pm Family K

11:15pm to 12:45 am Adult K

Day 5 10:00 pm to 11:30 pm Adult K

11:45 pm to 12:45 am Teen K

Day 6 11:00 pm to 12:30 am Kids Karaoke & Joke night

Day 7 10:30 pm to 12:30 am Joke & Karaoke night (adults)

There appear to be lots of other activities going on in the On Air Club at other times during the day. (Cry Baby Activities for babies, Family Scavenger Hunt, etc.)

Hope this helps a little. Sorry I can't address the question about private booths, etc. I just simply "noticed" the area as we were walking past it and never actually stopped to look or check-it out.

Thank you you very much for answering my question, I really appreciate it. :D

Archived