Celebrity President Dan Hanrahan on Galaxy May 6th

C 2 C

When Galaxy left Galveston on May 6th, Celebrity President Dan Hanrahan was on board as was the VP and another senior officer (I forgot their names.)

They stayed on till Nassau and of course were given front seats in the wonderful Stratosphere opaque lounge during their stay (info gleaned from onboard personnel).

Just before they left the ship I managed to talk to them while they were sitting in the foyer on deck 5.

I had cruised on Voyager of the Seas the previous week and gave them my views on the state of Celebrity perks vs RCL's program. This was not a conversation since they only nodded as I spoke to them (who is this guy anyways who just tells people what's on his mind)... anyways the gist of my message included:

Celebrity provides a wonderful cruising experience since this was my 37th week on board their ships.. BUT

in all those cruises we have never been upgraded

RCL moved me from an inside to a balcony at no cost (Diamond perk)

There was a concierege lounge that provided free drinks every day.

There was a booklet that provided real value:

20 minutes free internet per passenger

a free photo of your choice

2 free drinks in the bar of your choice

a concierege in the lounge to handle excursions and problems

a few other freebies as well...

Celebrity offers nothing free, the booklet only gives discounts of 15% or so when you buy stuff...even the 10 minutes internet was gone.

I also stated that Celebrity needs another level to compare to RCL's Diamond plus

I thanked them for listening, showed them my Celebrity Captain's Club pin... which none of them had ever seen before.. and stated that some passengers like the pins offered by other cruise lines showing their status.

I don't know if the message was received in the spirit it was given, but head office now knows what at least one frequent cruiser thinks of Celebrity's non-perks program..

and hopefully for all of us! You actually voiced the same things I would have said if given the chance. The CC program is insulting. I was recently sent a survey regarding my sailing on the Galaxy and the only thing I complained about was the lack of perks and how easy it would be to add a couple of nice things. Will they even read it, who knows. It isn't the reason I cruise with X but it wouldn't take much to throw in some extras.

Tell me, does Dan look as young in person as he does in his photo?

I agree with you 100%, but to play the devil's advocate for a sec:

The lack of Captain's Club benefits vis a vis RCL hasn't kept you from returning to Celebrity... as it hasn't me.

And that's what the bean counters look at.

One of the problems the balance sheet at Celebrity has had until very recently is a weak net berth yield. RCL's has always been much stronger.

Corporate reported this strengthening in last quarter's report.

It will be interesting to see how the matter progresses.

I agree with you 100%, but to play the devil's advocate for a sec:

The lack of Captain's Club benefits vis a vis RCL hasn't kept you from returning to Celebrity... as it hasn't me.

And that's what the bean counters look at.

Yes but after our recent sailing on Voyager I will be booking RCL cruises if the price and location is right. I will no longer look at only Celebrity when I make my cruising plans. Inertia is a powerful force and as more people start evaluating the alternatives they will also notice that there are a few blemishes in the Celebrity product. I have booked a B2B Galaxy cruise for Nov-Dec of 2007 but after my Galaxy experience I will be changing that to a RCL crossing on the Brilliance instead. People should not expect a uniform Celebrity experience on every ship of the fleet. Happy Happy was greeting everyone on the way to the oasis with a big smile and cheerfulness every day. Too many crew members did not share that smile on Galaxy. I booked 5 Celebrity cruise for Century over the next year and two RCL. If the right deal comes along from competing companies I will jump without a second thought because of Celebrity's attitude towards frequent cruisers. No-one likes to be taken for granted. The removal of benefits is only a month old. The promised improvements are non-existant. Each cruiser can put a value to perks... if the cost is not covered by competitive pricing policies people will switch. It is more expensive to find new cruisers than to satisfy the faithful. I think Celebrity management is ovelooking that truism.

You get what you pay for.

Amazing that when you have the chance to talk to the CEO, all you do is ask for freebies.

Perks are a gift, not a right one can or should claim.

I fully understand why this was not a conversation and why they only nodded when you spoke to them :D

You get what you pay for.

Amazing that when you have the chance to talk to the CEO, all you do is ask for freebies.

Perks are a gift, not a right one can or should claim.

And when can one expect a perk? Why do airlines offer frequent flyer miles... because they are expected when the competition offers them.

I could have talked about the deplorable state of the ship... from the filthy windows, the glass that is opaque for 70% of the Stratosphere lounge, the bedding that has more springs than covering, the non-enforcement of their own dress code..perhaps the declining quality of the food or perhaps the decline in stock price. I simply wanted to know why the promised enhancements to the elite program never materialized and were inferior to other cruise lines.:cool:

I could have talked about the deplorable state of the ship... from the filthy windows, the glass that is opaque for 70% of the Stratosphere lounge, the bedding that has more springs than covering, the non-enforcement of their own dress code..perhaps the declining quality of the food or perhaps the decline in stock price. I simply wanted to know why the promised enhancements to the elite program never materialized and were inferior to other cruise lines.:cool:

Now that would have been an interesting discussion...

C2C, kudos to you for speaking up but IMHO you didn't answer when opportunity knocked. Perhaps you would have gotten more than just the nod of a head if you had voiced your concerns about your particular cruise experience on Galaxy as opposed to complaining about freebies it sounds like you think you're entitled to. Nevertheless, good for you for approaching the corporate gods at X.

Hi Everyone !

Not to be disrespectful to the OP, but if I had 5 minutes with Mr. Hanrahan, Captains Club perks wouldn't have made it into the conversation with him. I have many other (more important) comments and suggestions to help Celebrity continue to be a wonderful Cruise line.

While I agree that CC perks are something that should be improved, it is not something that is going to make or break Celebrity. I would want to spend my time with him, to tackle more important matters.

I truly wish I could get a chance to speak with him. Wouldn't that be something ? :)

C 2 C, my hat is off to you.. Anytime you can corner a CEO- give him your thoughts. They DO listen..

Mr. H should take the opportunity when he is on ship to hold a 1 hour session with the "frequent cruisers" and solicit their input. IT is amazing what you can pick up from those sessions with your customers: regardless of your business...

When you run an organziation-never never pass up the opportunity to hear from your employees and customers...and never sit in the front row- you are not paying.....your customers are..............................

Does the pres visit the individual ships often? Wonder why Galaxy. I hope he made it to the shabby aft decks on 8, 9, 10. If they're going to dock GL long enough for new bedding sometime this year, perhaps a little resurfacing in those areas can be applied too ... besides of course The Windows Of Doom ... TR (who sailed Galaxy just a few weeks before the prez)

When Galaxy left Galveston on May 6th, Celebrity President Dan Hanrahan was on board as was the VP and another senior officer (I forgot their names.)

They stayed on till Nassau and of course were given front seats in the wonderful Stratosphere opaque lounge during their stay (info gleaned from onboard personnel).

Just before they left the ship I managed to talk to them while they were sitting in the foyer on deck 5.

I had cruised on Voyager of the Seas the previous week and gave them my views on the state of Celebrity perks vs RCL's program. This was not a conversation since they only nodded as I spoke to them (who is this guy anyways who just tells people what's on his mind)... anyways the gist of my message included:

Celebrity provides a wonderful cruising experience since this was my 37th week on board their ships.. BUT

in all those cruises we have never been upgraded

RCL moved me from an inside to a balcony at no cost (Diamond perk)

There was a concierege lounge that provided free drinks every day.

There was a booklet that provided real value:

20 minutes free internet per passenger

a free photo of your choice

2 free drinks in the bar of your choice

a concierege in the lounge to handle excursions and problems

a few other freebies as well...

Celebrity offers nothing free, the booklet only gives discounts of 15% or so when you buy stuff...even the 10 minutes internet was gone.

I also stated that Celebrity needs another level to compare to RCL's Diamond plus

I thanked them for listening, showed them my Celebrity Captain's Club pin... which none of them had ever seen before.. and stated that some passengers like the pins offered by other cruise lines showing their status.

I don't know if the message was received in the spirit it was given, but head office now knows what at least one frequent cruiser thinks of Celebrity's non-perks program..

I agree with a lot you have said. I am Elite with both Celebrity and Princess (although I haven't sailed Princess in more than 10 years). There is no question that the Princess program (complimentary internet, bar set up, laundry, dry cleaning, shoe shine, priority tendering and more) far exceeds Celebrity.

I currently have 2 Celebrity cruises booked and will be sailing next month with Princess again (looking forward to the perques).

That said, I also have 19 cruises (179 sea days) with Holland America. For that I get the privilege of wearing a medallion to the afternoon repeater's party. Last time they didn't even take group picture. The cruise before that they did take a group picture ..... and gave us the privilege of purchasing it.

Does the pres visit the individual ships often? Wonder why Galaxy. I hope he made it to the shabby aft decks on 8, 9, 10. If they're going to dock GL long enough for new bedding sometime this year, perhaps a little resurfacing in those areas can be applied too ... besides of course The Windows Of Doom ... TR (who sailed Galaxy just a few weeks before the prez)

Wow ~ I must be blind ~ I just sailed the Galaxy and the AFT deck 10 was my favorite place to lay out. There was nothing shabby about deck 10 ~ it was quaint and very pleasant. This was my first celebrity cruise and my first cruise on a 10 year old ship and I (and so did other people) enjoyed this ship. I did not "complain" about freebies. We paid $890 per person for a 16-day inside "family" room cat (cabin 1137). Our cabin steward, waiter etc. etc. were wonderful and so were all the folks we met. I am 53 and my mother-in-law is 81 we have cruised before and I have traveled around the globe. I personally do not know of a 16-day vacation that costs $890, $168 tips (plus more because we were that contend) plus $629 for a one way ticket back to Houston. That amounts to $1687 ($106 p/p lodging, food and air).

I realize everyone has a different opinion about their cruise experience. Before our Galaxy cruise I had read that some people complained about the state of this ship, so we expected the worst. To our surprise the Galaxy is still a very beautiful ship. Just our opinion.

Els

I realize everyone has a different opinion about their cruise experience. Before our Galaxy cruise I had read that some people complained about the state of this ship, so we expected the worst. To our surprise the Galaxy is still a very beautiful ship. Just our opinion.

Els

Els ~ I was on the same cruise with you and paid pretty much the exact same amount of money. I totally agree. I loved lounging on the aft decks!! I didn't notice any shabbiness and they were never crowded. I too was worried about Galaxy's condition because of these boards, and didn't have any complaints. For myself, $890 seemed like such a bargain for such a great itinerary.

I feel bad that C 2 C had bad service. Our service (especially in the dining room) was excellent. There were people at our table on their 5th cruise with Celebrity who said that our waiter was the best they'd ever had. The only people who weren't right on top of things were generally the pool butlers and the people at the pizza/pasta bar. Otherwise, we had excellent service.

And, in case anyone is wondering, I'm hardly a die hard Celebrity loyalist, I've only cruised with them one time.

And, in case anyone is wondering, I'm hardly a die hard Celebrity loyalist, I've only cruised with them one time.

What have we come to if we need to start appologizing for being die hard Celebrity loyalists? ;)

I feel bad that C 2 C had bad service.

The topic of service was never raised.... My conversation had nothing to do with the quality of Galaxy. I was just trying to point out what the competition was offering in relation to Celebrity's perks. Anyone who cruises frequently on a line is normally rewarded for their loyalty. Celebrity offers a great product most of the time but now, like HAL, no longer offers perks on a par with RCL and Princess. Unless you have cruised a dozen times or so on the same line this issue will be meaningless. Since we cruise 6 to 8 times a year we notice changes in menus, food quality and service as well as ship maintenance a little sooner than the average cruiser.

The topic of service was never raised....

My mistake, I think I was mixing threads up. I remember someone posting that the service on this particular cruise wasn't up to par. Somehow it got intertwined with this thread when I was responding to Els. Apologies!

Like you I had a great holiday. I had been wary because of the post prior to my holiday. I had a clean well maintained room. It had bedding and carpet that were neither worn or dirty.

Like you I lay out on the aft deck high on deck 11. It was quiet comfortable and clean. There was bar service whenever it was required and the same group of people tended to sit in this area each day. I had an excellent table with excellent waiters and very good cabin steward. All in all I had no complaints other than the bus issues we all had in getting from our hotel in Houston on the departure day.

There were also bus issues in Lisbon but presume that Celebrity will have ironed these out for the current cruises in the Med.

I am as I have said previously booked for Century and I will be expecting more as the ship has just been refurbished. The service and the food will as experienced on Galaxy excellent.

Glad you got home safely. Love to Reta.

Sue

C 2 C Thanks for speaking up.

I've always said Celebrity needed a passanger panel.

To help them with suggesting on ways to run specific things on the ships.

Maybe a group that could talk to the Hotel managers on ship improvements.

Like you I had a great holiday. I had been wary because of the post prior to my holiday. I had a clean well maintained room. It had bedding and carpet that were neither worn or dirty.

Like you I lay out on the aft deck high on deck 11. It was quiet comfortable and clean. There was bar service whenever it was required and the same group of people tended to sit in this area each day. I had an excellent table with excellent waiters and very good cabin steward. All in all I had no complaints other than the bus issues we all had in getting from our hotel in Houston on the departure day.

There were also bus issues in Lisbon but presume that Celebrity will have ironed these out for the current cruises in the Med.

I am as I have said previously booked for Century and I will be expecting more as the ship has just been refurbished. The service and the food will as experienced on Galaxy excellent.

Glad you got home safely. Love to Reta.

Sue

Hi Sue ~ I meant to write you earlier but since the cruise I have been suffering from cruise withdrawal. :eek: Reta and I had such a great time and we met so many wonderful people. This 1st TA will not be our last ~ it was so wonderful. Now we're back home we're back to reality. I will be visiting my family in Holland early November and will be looking for a TA back to the US after my visit. Those TA's are so relaxing.

Glad you made it home safely. Tell Mary "hi" from me.

Els;)

Hi thanks for the post. Mary my friend has been very ill and has decided not to have further treatment. She was in hospital and then I stayed 2 days and nights until her daughter came here.

She went back yesterday and Mary now has a carer coming in 3 times a day. I am doing all the practical things for her.

Will pass on your regards

Glad that you enjoyed the T/A. We were blessed with the weather. I love all the sea days and the sheer relaxation. I often wondered where the day went to so for all those who say they would be bored just try it!

Like you I will do T/A again but probably in the Spring rather than the winter. I am not back until the 6th Oct. so would not go away again so soon. For the Grandchildren's sake.

So glad that you enjoyed it all and like you I met some great people. I was happy travelling alone and found it quite liberating. Hope that Larry and you manage to get away later in the year.

Sue

You get what you pay for. :D

NOT always and especially NOT recently. Checkout the dissatisfied customer threads on this board. They certainly would be more positive about Celebrity if they got what they PAID for.

I will be visiting my family in Holland early November and will be looking for a TA back to the US after my visit. Those TA's are so relaxing.

Els;)

Visit them in October and cruise back with us on Century Oct 27th.... each day is 25 hours long:D... you get back the hours you lost in May.

Archived