Celebrity Entertainers

julinue

We really enjoyed Pearl Kaufman, the pianist. What talent she has! Makes us plodders on the piano know how bad we really are.

The Cirque show was good but short. We enjoyed seeing the performers from Cirque in the audience for the other shows.

Peggy Herman had a great voice but her material was from the 20's.

The dulcimer guy was very talented but boring.

The "Ladder guy" was pretty funny.

The Knudsen Brothers we saw on RCCL were very interesting.

In 7 cruises, it is interesting that we have only seen 2 repeats, Noodles Levenstein and Xing Ping Tu (dulcimer guy). Of course that is spread over 13 years. I'm sure if we cruised 2x/yr or more we would see more of the same.

Hi Everyone !

We enjoy the production shows too. Of the featured entertainers, we have enjoyed Nicola Loud, The Ladder Guy (Michael James), and Noodles Levenstein. We actually liked the gentleman who played the dulcimer . He is extremely talented ! I am sure there are many others, but those are the ones who come to mind at this moment.

Overall, I feel that Celebrity does a great job with their entertainment. However, this is another one of those areas that is subjective.

Paul Tosh on piano, currently entertaining in the Martini Bar on board Galaxy.

R&B singer Jane Powell... I think we may have seen her on NCL a few years ago...

Most of the production shows, (especially the ballet performances), comedians and special entertainers, have been enjoyable.

Who have been the best entertainers you've experienced on Celebrity?

We have had Elliott Finkel twice on two different

Celebrity cruises..and, he had different programs each time

and, was great...

Also, on the last CONSTELLATION cruise we had

a young guy named Hyperion Knight, that was most

wonderful...

Both were contemporary and, classical pianists.. :)

The most memorable:

1.Brooks Aehron Fantastic pianist

2. Lindsay Hamilton Broadway style Singer

3. Jack Walker.. Tom Jones-style singer

You can do a google search of any for wonderful reviews

Just came off Constellation, May 20 Baltic cruise. Entertainers included Pearl Kaufman, Nicola Loud, Lindsay Hamilton. Combined with the Cirque performance the outstanding Constellation orchestra and production shows, this was the most outstanding program on any ship we've sailed. I could hardly breathe after Pearl played Rhapsody in Blue. She is also very engaging with the audience as is Nicola Loud. I kept thinking that these two should be on stage in a major auditorium with a major orchestra. Celebrity has obviously made investing in entertainers a focus. Although he packs them in, I would prefer a different pianist in Michael's Club. Perry Grant is too Liberace for my tastes with his acoustic machine and thin voice. Give us a sultry, cabaret, player/singer Cole Porter, Gershwin performer.

Mary Anne

Just came off Constellation, May 20 Baltic cruise. Entertainers included Pearl Kaufman, Nicola Loud, Lindsay Hamilton. Combined with the Cirque performance the outstanding Constellation orchestra and production shows, this was the most outstanding program on any ship we've sailed.

Mary Anne

You were fortunate indeed. I wish we had been that fortunate on Galaxy but there are just not enough of these excellent performers to meet the demand.

Of the entertainers mentioned here. the only two I've had the pleasure to see were Eliot Finkel and Perry Grant. I loved them both. Perry's performances were so much fun that we skipped the ship's big shows and watched him all night. There is a reason Perry packs them in. I should reveal that I won Perry's music trivia quiz and was the recipient of a touch from his fairy wand. I wish he was playing on the Galaxy this summer (my next cruise) instead of the Connie.

By the way does anyone have information about the performers on the Galaxy in August?

On all of our 3 X cruises we lucked out because Dominique Ava was on board all 3 times. She playes the violin and fiddle and when she is done playing, whether it is a fast or slow number, I am so touched. Bought her cd so I can enjoy her music always.

On the Constellation this March, Other than the Cirque show - there was a ventriloquist - foreget his name but he was a white guy with a Black Jamaican Dummy. my wife and Inever laughed so hard. He was fantastic.

On RCCL a couple of years ago Gary Lovini - Violinist - on the Panama Canal Cruise - if you have the opportunity to see him DO NOT MISS

On all of our 3 X cruises we lucked out because Dominique Ava was on board all 3 times. She playes the violin and fiddle and when she is done playing, whether it is a fast or slow number, I am so touched. Bought her cd so I can enjoy her music always.

We saw Dominique Ava on the MERCURY in January.

Yep..we REALLY liked her too..I bought the same CD,

"ADAGIO".

On our cruise this April/May on the CONSTELLATION, T/A,

we had a lady performer (sorry, I can not remember her name! :mad: )

but, she was Dominique's mother! She was an excellent

violinist too..and, during her concert, she mentioned that fact,

about her daughter also working for CELEBRITY.

Now, we could see where Dominiques talent came from....:)

Perhaps another board poster could recall this ladys name.

She had a Polish name...and, we saw her around the ship many times.

(I.M.H.O., we thought Dominique was a much better performer.)

If you have this CD..then, I dedicate "The Swan" to you :D

(cut #10) Incredible music...

We saw Dominique Ava on the MERCURY in January.

Yep..we REALLY liked her too..I bought the same CD,

"ADAGIO".

On our cruise this April/May on the CONSTELLATION, T/A,

we had a lady performer (sorry, I can not remember her name! :mad: )

but, she was Dominique's mother! She was an excellent

violinist too..and, during her concert, she mentioned that fact,

about her daughter also working for CELEBRITY.

Now, we could see where Dominiques talent came from....:)

Perhaps another board poster could recall this ladys name.

She had a Polish name...and, we saw her around the ship many times.

(I.M.H.O., we thought Dominique was a much better performer.)

If you have this CD..then, I dedicate "The Swan" to you :D

(cut #10) Incredible music...

Thanks. I will check that song out. I did not know her mom performed on the ships. Interesting. Sorry I do not know her name.:)

On the Constellation this March, Other than the Cirque show - there was a ventriloquist - foreget his name but he was a white guy with a Black Jamaican Dummy. my wife and Inever laughed so hard. He was fantastic.

I'm reading from the top, so if someone already answered, sorry! You are talking about Matilda. We liked him on the Constellation, and loved him on the Zenith 2 years earlier. Maybe because we knew some of the material. However, if he and Matilda were on another of our cruises, we would see them again.

We've been on three Celebrity cruises in a row and we've been fortunate to have great entertainers each time. Last year stood out, though, with Lindsay Hamilton (who was about 4 months pregnant at the time), Eliot Finkel and another broadway style singer, Jordan Bennett. Of course, the Celebrity singers and dancers always do a great job. The great thing is the shows are never longer than an hour so even if it's a performer that's not your cup of tea, it's only an hour.

We also had the "Ladder Guy" one time a few years ago on HAL. Great entertainer. The best of the musical talents we have had was Gary Guthman, a trumpet player. Have had the pleasure twice, once on Celebrity a few years ago, and once on an Oceania cruise last year. He would come to the piano lounge after shows and jam with the pianist. One of my best musical experiences ever. He drew a big crowd. But I think his talent has allowed him to now appear only on the higher end luxury market, such as Crystal etc.

Saw the Ventriloquist also - Matilda was the Black Jamaican Dummy.

Paul Tosh on piano, currently entertaining in the Martini Bar on board Galaxy.

R&B singer Jane Powell... I think we may have seen her on NCL a few years ago...

Most of the production shows, (especially the ballet performances), comedians and special entertainers, have been enjoyable.

You had a whole show of ballet? I know it isnt the popular choice - but that is very cool that they were able to pull that off. Ballet is hard enough on land and having been fortunate enough to dance on a cruise ship - I cant imagine dancing ballet on a ship.

Favorite lounge performer would have to be Matt Yee. He was just sooooo much fun for everyone of all ages. Our biggest regret was that we didnt discover him until the last night of the cruise when he had been performing all week.

Also, as Celebrity has update their shows recently and really started to hire some excellent dancers I have to give major props to their production shows!

I could not resist posting on this thread, though I am a s-l-o-w typist.

My wife and I have sailed on Celebrity five times and enjoyed the entertainment each time. Perhaps the best was our first, Scandinavia to St. Petersburg, early May, 2003. This was on the Constellation, and sailed from Harwich and returned to Dover. There was a classical tenor who was quite good and a female vocalist who had sung in Les Miserables in London. There may have also been a violinist. All the music and dancing was great.

Another time which I will always remember was on the Fall, 2004 Transatlantic, again on the Constellation, from Dover to New York. The last company show included a bit of opera. One of the singers, a tenor, sang a very short piece. The applause was huge. The next day it was announced that the tenor would sing several songs in the large top deck lounge that afternoon. The ship's band director, a pianist, rushed to the lounge immediately after the passenger talent show in the auditorium. The place was packed. That great classically trained talent sang several arias and was truly appreciated by the audience.

Brooks Aehron may have also been on that cruise. He was indeed very good. We bought his CD. I think he put together his own medley of Gershwin tunes.

This was also the first time I entered a talent show. I sang the "Wiffenpoof Song", and at least I enjoyed it. I have since changed to "Old Man River" ( I just had to get this last part in.")

The auditorium seating on the Millennium class ships is very good. If there are any sight obstructions, they are very slight. Apparently this is not so on all lines. We recently sailed on the Westerdam, and the obstructions were many and terrible.

Bob :cool:

My wife and I have found the Celebrity entertainers range from Ok to "not so good". The comedians have been rather lame - even for a family atmosphere.

Does anybody know if the infamous "Noodles" Romanoff is still doing the cruise ship circuit - and which ship he may be on? That way I can avoid him. hehe

Archived