Insteal of HAL is should be VAL for VALue

Kennon4

My husband and I just returned from the 5/27 Montreal/Boston cruise on the Maasdam. We stayed in a Delux veranda suite that rivals any suite on any line we've ever sailed! The ship was immaculate, the service was extraordinary, the food was excellent, the public areas were top notch, and after 7 days, the only thing we were able to find fault with was the quality of their kleenex.

The cruise cost a fraction of what the Crystal, 7 Seas, Seaborn, etc. charge, and the suite we had was larger and nicer than any of the competition.

This was our first HAL cruise, and I sincerely doubt we'll ever be able to sail any other line again. We're spoiled now. And, Ohmygosh, you wouldnl't believe the huge verandah. It had two comfy lounge chairs with a table between them, as well as a large table with four chairs around it ...... just perfect for each night when we had hot and cold hors d'ouvres delivered before dinner. There were binoculars in the cabin, and we spent hours and hours and hours on the verandah watching the world go by. On a scale of 0 to 10, I'd give it an 11.

I'm 59, and my husband is 62. We were on the "youngish" end of the spectrum, but fit right in.

I had been intimidated by some of the message boards that had led me to believe that we needed to be "dressed" for dinners in the dining room. NOT. Although there were a few men on casual night in sport jackets, there were far more men in jeans or khaki pants and tennis shoes, although noone was poorly dressed. I did notice one or two men in shorts politely turned away at the door, but other than that, everyone just dressed in what they were comfortable in, and no one seemed to be paying attention to what anyone else was wearing.

On the two formal nights, there were far more suits and sport jackets than tuxedos, but again, no one seemed to care what anyone else was wearing as long as they were presentable.

The ports were just ports, with the exception of Quebec, Halifax and Bar Harbor. If you didn't take an excursion, they were all just lovely places to walk around...... but it didn't take long. I think it took us less than an hour to walk almost every street in Sydney and Charlottetown, but they were charming. It's nice to take a cruise once in a while where the ports aren't the main event, and relaxing and enjoying the ship take on new meaning. We could easily have stayed in our suite and not come out for at least another month -- or until room service stopped.

The meal we had in the Pinnacle Grill was equal to the best restaurants we've been to anywhere in the world. Honestly!! The service there was also beyone measure. We had intended to go there for two dinners, but after the first dinner (and I know this sounds crazy) we cancelled the 2nd reservation because the first meal was so exceptional and memorable that we didn't want to dilute the memory with another one. Now that I'm home and cooking again, I could kick myself for not having gone back.

Maasdam had just come out of drydock, so it was fresh and new. There are dozens of cozy nooks to curl up in with a book. The library was wonderful, and we took advantage of the extensive video library and took movies back to our room every night to watch on the big flat screen tv in the suite.

We're already thinking about going again next year, but for a longer version -- A week is NOT enough. It's over before you blink. For those of you who have just looked at pictures in the brochures and on the internet I have to tell you that the pictures honestly do not do the ship justice. It's classier and far more beautiful than depicted. I took tons of pictures, and was disappointed that they couldn't show what the eyes see.

Good job, HAL!

Pictures never seem to do HAL's ships justice - I have taken two cruises on the Veendam, and have yet to get a really good picture of the atrium! That being said, glad you enjoyed your trip on the Maasdam!

It's easy to get hooked on HAL, isn't it? ;)

Thanks for sharing. It is wonderful to feel your enthusiasm and fun to partake in someone else's first HAL experience. You have discovered why so many of us keep coming back.

Eventhough the S class ships are supposed to be pretty much the same as each other, I'm wondering if the newly redone Maasdam Delux Veranda suites are any nicer than those on the it's sister "S" class ships. I'm almost afraid to book on any other because I don't want to be disappointed.

I can feel your excitement and totally understand:D That was how we felt especially after our first S Suite. We have been sold on HAL for the past 3 years and cannot imagine spending our vacation dollars any other way. I am glad to heard that you had a wonderful time and also Welcome to posting here on the the CC Board. P.S. I agree about the Kleenex;)

It was lovely to read your post. We booked our first cruise earlier this week - an S suite on the Ryndam / Alaska 2007. Something tells me that we won't be disappointed! So many people on here have such positive views about HAL we're sure it will be right for us. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm.

Cheryl

I always tell people HAL has to be experienced. Words and pictures just can't describe the total cruise experience on a HAL ship.

Glad you enjoyed the Maasadam. I sailed her in 2003 before she was upgraded and she was a fine vessel then.

Roz

What a wonderful review..... a joy to read.

We sooo agree with everything you wrote and are eager to once again board the beautiful and elegant ms Maasdam. :)

We agree with you so much that, as you say, we think one week too short so we are going to do a roundtrip.....Boston to Boston.

Can't wait.

Thanks for your great review.

DW and I are cruising on the Maasdam in October. We are relatively experienced cruisers - RCCL, X, and Carnival. We're so looking forward to the more upscale cruise line. Having never cruised on HAL before, and being already excited, reading your wonderful review puts more zing in the anticipation.

Glad your cruise was great. I'm planning for ours to be great also. I agree. Seven nights goes by way to quickly. That's one reason we're doing the 11 night Southern Caribbean out of Norfolk.

Thanks again for taking the time to brighten a CCers day.

Harvey

Thank you for sharing your cruise experience. It's always great to hear comments from those sailing HAL the first time. I can truly relate to your feelings. Until we sailed on HAL, we just couldn't appreciate how HAL does make sailing with them such a lovely experience!

Archived