DEFINITIONS OF "SMART CASUAL"??

Froufie

So what exactly is considered "smart casual" anyways? (as opposed to stupid casual?? :p )

Our upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise (Aug 2004) has two formal nights which I am prepared for, but not so sure about the smart casual thing (the other 5 nights).

Do women wear capris/resort wear to dinner? or fancier stuff? For example I have a couple of pantsuits in a crinkle cotton material w/drawstring pants and a matching collared button shirt (think camp shirt)...have one in black and one in a baby blue which I usually wear with a coordinating tank underneat (hot pink w/the black and a white w/pink & blue flowers for the blue).....are these "too casual"? (will pair with a matching pair of high heel wedge slide sandals).

How about a t-shirt cardigan set (black and white stripes on t and opposite stripes on matching long sleeve cardigan - both cotton) with black cotton flared pants?

Other options include that black slinky material pants with matching short sleeved jacket (with some hanging beads on the bottom) or black/white wild flower print linen pants w/a plain black t-shirt on top.

Also just bought a gorgeous linen outfit in an ice blue - short sleeve shirt has this kind of lace netting at end of sleeves w/embroidered flowers w/beading, and hem of pants also has this sheer material (about 2 inch band) with the beads and flowers.....(not sure what footwear to wear with this tho ;) )

Can anyone please advise if these are appropriate? My other option is to hang around the dining room at early seating in my dark glasses and trenchcoat taking notes (we have 2nd traditional booked) and then slink back to my cabin to choose the right outfit (assuming I have actualy brought the right things along!! :eek: )

Any help/info is greatly appreciated!

I consider smart casual to be a nice pantsuit, dress, or skirt and nice top. Your drawstring pants with camp shirts sounds casual to me. Of course, you will probably see all kinds of outfits on smart casual nights. Have fun!

Not formal or semi-formal wear, but not jeans and a t-shirt either. I think of business casual, nice looking clothing but professional.

But Jeans and a T-shirt are NEVER allowed in the dining room. And what about men? How many men actually wear the recommended jacked? Not that many, in my opinion. I think the category smart casual and casual should be combined into one: business casual. Because most people think casual as jeans and shorts and these are not allowed in the dining room at dinner, so why call it casual?

>>>>>>>For example I have a couple of pantsuits in a crinkle cotton material w/drawstring pants and a matching collared button shirt (think camp shirt)...have one in black and one in a baby blue which I usually wear with a coordinating tank underneat (hot pink w/the black and a white w/pink & blue flowers for the blue).....are these "too casual"? (will pair with a matching pair of high heel wedge slide sandals).<<<<<<

To me, this sounds too casual for the dining room at dinner.

>>>>How about a t-shirt cardigan set (black and white stripes on t and opposite stripes on matching long sleeve cardigan - both cotton) with black cotton flared pants?<<<<

Hard to say here. Depends on the fabrics and how "dressy" they look. Could be too casual or could be just right.

>>>>Other options include that black slinky material pants with matching short sleeved jacket (with some hanging beads on the bottom)<<<<<<

This sounds good for dinner.

>>>> or black/white wild flower print linen pants w/a plain black t-shirt on top.<<<<<<

Again, depends on the fabric as well as the fit. Might look too daytime or could look dressy.

>>>>>>Also just bought a gorgeous linen outfit in an ice blue - short sleeve shirt has this kind of lace netting at end of sleeves w/embroidered flowers w/beading, and hem of pants also has this sheer material (about 2 inch band) with the beads and flowers.....(not sure what footwear to wear with this tho )<<<<<

Honestly would be too casual for me, but there will be others dressing at that "level", so you'll be fine. For shoes, I'd wear a medium to high heeled sandal that picks up one of the colors of the embroidery.

Jane

For me, smart casual would be defined as clothing you would wear to an upscale restaurant. A little dressier than what you may wear to an office, but without the glitter of a cocktail dress. Most of the clothing you have described (OP) would, to me, be defined as casual. Your clothing choices do sound lovely for the casual nights.

You may be surprised by what you actually see in the dining rooms, there are as many renditions of "formal" "smart casual" "casual" as there are people. You have to please yourself, just the fact that you are here asking questions shows that you care what you are wearing. My biggest mistake on our first cruise was going out a purchasing new clothing for every night of the cruise. Thank goodness it was just a 4 nighter.

Have a lovely cruise!

Thanks for everyone's input, maybe another shopping trip is in order??? :D :D

Actually have decided to bring my black blazer (dressy) and a pair of loose/crepe black dressy pants - this should work w/different tops if need be (black patent low heels or sandals to go with this). I think I need to get the feel of what others at my table will be wearing as I don't want to feel uncomfortable if not at the same level of "dressiness"...then again don't want to make anyone else feel out of place if I am too dressed up :o

I will bring along a couple of the outfits mentioned and see how they fit in!

Thanks! ;)

P.S. While I have my two formals settled there is this gorgeous mauve/lavender sparkly pantsuit I have my eye on - waiting for it to go on sale!!! :D

Hi there, Froufie,

I always enjoy your posts. :p

I especially like the black slinky pants outfits.

I agree with Jane on the crinkle, draw-string pants. Seems like a day-time outfit. :mad:

I also consider (almost all the time) that any stripes are sporty and too casual for Smart. :eek:

The rest sound great. You have done some very Thoughtful Planning, which will pay off. Have fun on your Cruise. :D

• 2 weeks later...

would this work for "smart casual":

knee length, black & white print combed-cotton skirt.

"tailored" black cotton top (not a baggy t-shirt)

this would be the kind of outfit i'd wear to work. does this work for a smart-casual night? or is this "casual-casual"?

thanks,

carrie

CarrieandBrian:

Your black/white skirt with the black top sound a little casual for smart casual night, but it all depends on the cut and fabric. If it's along the more conservative lines, it will look dressier. If it's a summery look, then it will be pretty casual looking, in my opinion.

To the OP:

I agree with the replies to your questions, except the ice-blue outfit sounds dressier to me than the others.

I wear pants almost every night to the dining room, dressing up and down to match the suggested dress code. I agree the slinky knits can go up or down, and I bring a traveling outfit with a swing jacket, pants, tank top, and long dress.

Go for the mauve!! It sounds a lot like my champagne colored pantsuit, and it's very dressy.

Archived