If you've done the Montreal to Boston cruise......

olive2

Would really appreciate your views on the best things to do, see. We'll be cruising later this summer and will be in Montreal for two days, then on to Quebec City, Prince Edward Island, Sydney, Halifax, Bar Harbor. What are the best things to see, places to eat, etc. I've been reading all the posts, and my head is spinning.:confused:.can you break it down a bit?? Thank you!

It might help a bit if you told us something of your interests.

Last time I did the NE/Canada cruise I enjoyed the excursion out to Anne of Green Gables on PEI. It also included a stop at the north shore, another stop in a fishing village, and a great stop at a place that sells yummy jams/jellies.

In Sydney I took the sail on bras d'Ors Lake. On a lovely, sunny day (which mine was) it's great; don't know that I'd care for it on a crummy day, though.

In Halifax I took the Duck Tour in the rain. Yuck. Again, in good weather I would have enjoyed it a lot more. In the afternoon I took the Titanic tour. Great even in the rain.

It includes a stop at the Maritime Museum---which is excellent. You don't need to take the tour to go there.

A couple of years ago when on this cruise, my friend and I booked a tour that covered so much of the area. It gave us an overview of Halifax, including the Titanic graveyard and Citadel, then we went to Peggy's Cove, Lunenberg and Mahone Bay with a nice stop for lunch. Two others we met on board joined us on the trip as well.

Bob really knows his stuff about the area and enjoys showing "his" area to visitors. If he's still doing these tours, this was really worth our time and covered so much more that we could have ever hoped to cover on ship's tours.

http://www.tourbytaxi.com/home.htm

We've been in Halifax twice on cruise ships, and didn't feel a need for an excursion either time. We've taken the ferry to and from Dartmount, visited some museums, walked around the waterfront, and gone to the public garden (walking back to the ship). It's a great town to do on your own.

In unexciting Sydney, we took a ship's tour to the Fortress of Louisbourg. This was on Radisson/Regent, so we took a specialized 6 person tour that included lunch and some time learning to be a 17th century gardener. I don't know if HAL offers this, but the regular tour should also be nice.

If you like Anne of Green Gables, definitely take the Green Gables tour in PEI.

For each city, do some research into the city, then decide whether what you really want to do is best done on your own or through a ship's tour. Where possible, we;ve done Canada-New England on our own, in three such cruises. Look at the port of call boards for Canada and the U.S. to help you decide.

OLIVE2

As soon as you get of the ship ypu'll will be in area called "Old Montreal" It is historic for us since this is where the settlers stayed who first came to Montreal. It is a lovely area...cobble stone street, gas lamps etc. You can walk around by yourself and drop into cute boutique like shops. You can take a walking tour or take a Caleche(horse and buggy) ride. Go and visit Bonsecour Market. The area is full of great restaurants. There is a beautiful church in the area called Notre Dame Basilica.

Enjoy yourself

p.s. Everybody speaks English as well as French

I took this trip from Montreal to New York 12 years ago. Was one of the favourite of the cruises I have been on. In Halifax there is Pier 21. This was the Canadian immigration port where passengers, immigrants, war brides, displaced persons etc. came through. It is down by the water close to the train station. My mother came through there in 1928 on a ship from Germany. 5 years ago we went back to look at Pier 21 and saw a picture of the ship she was on and other interesting information. Of course my mother was only 6 at the time, so doesn't remember the sailing, but my grandmother always told us stories about that voyage. She came over with 4 children (my mother - age 6, 2 aunts - ages 5 and 2 and 1 uncle - age 7). My grandfather came over the year before in 1927 to establish roots here in Canada. I purchased a plaque in their honour and was very emotional when I saw it hanging on the wall with all of the others. If you want more information of this, go to www.pier21.ca

This is a great cruise.

You can do a walking tour of Montreal on your own. Get the AAA guidebook or similar. It's a good city for exploring on your own, especially if you are going to have a couple of days there. Make sure you visit the Old Montreal section. Also take the Metro, very convenient way to get around. Stop in an outdoor cafe and watch the passersby.

We've done walking tours in Quebec, also. Again, get a guide book at the pier and set out on your own. Make sure you go up the funicular. Go into the Hotel Frontenac. See the Plains of Abraham. If it's raining, watch out on the stairs from the port area to the old city--slippery when wet.

We've rented a car in PEI and in Sydney and have gone out on our own. The Fortress of Louisburg is of historical interest, complete with reinactors. The Bell Museum in Baedaek is also noteworthy, according to reports--we've not done it ourselves.

In Halifax, the Pier 21 Museum is well worth a visit. Pier 21 was Canada's Port of Entry for immigration. We spent half a day there and could have spent more. The Maritime Museum is also interesting. Walk along the boardwalk. On one of our visits, the annual bagpipe festival was going on, much to my delight and my wife's dismay. Walk up the hill to the Citadel. If you have the time and interest, take the tour there. Have one of Alexander Keith's offerings (local beer); very tasty. We've seen Peggy's Cove, but to we New Englanders, it was no big deal.

In Bar Harbor, we've done Ollie's Trollies tour. Quite good. Also in BH, go to Jordan's Restaurant and have the blueberry muffins and/or blueberry pancakes. Their chowder is good, too.

(We've had such a good time, we're spending most of the summer in PEI this year.)

Enjoy.

OLIVE2

As soon as you get of the ship ypu'll will be in area called "Old Montreal" It is historic for us since this is where the settlers stayed who first came to Montreal. It is a lovely area...cobble stone street, gas lamps etc. You can walk around by yourself and drop into cute boutique like shops. You can take a walking tour or take a Caleche(horse and buggy) ride. Go and visit Bonsecour Market. The area is full of great restaurants. There is a beautiful church in the area called Notre Dame Basilica.

Enjoy yourself

p.s. Everybody speaks English as well as French

I agree with everything you've said. We've visited Montreal annually for many years. I especially enjoy the old Montreal area around Place Jaques-Cartier. One of my favorite restaurants anywhere, Le St-Amable is there.

I agree also that Notre Dame Basilica is beautiful, almost beyond belief. I've been through it countless times and always looked forward to it. We don't go there anymore when we visit. I was completely turned off when they started charging to visit a church and moved the religious store from inside to outside to allow the sale of artifacts to those, like me, who refuse to pay a fee to enter a church. That said, it remains a beautiful place. http://www.basiliquenddm.org/

When we were at Notre Dame last year, there was so much scaffolding and construction material that it made it very unattractive and uninviting. We remember being there when it was so very beautiful and irresistible to enter. Apparently the fee is going toward the restoration costs. I don't remember exactly how much it was but it seemed too much to charge and a great many people turned away and did not enter.

Apparently the fee is going toward the restoration costs. I don't remember exactly how much it was but it seemed too much to charge and a great many people turned away and did not enter.

Including us, when we were in Montreal last September. Still, the square is nice, and a great place to catch a caleche (horse drawn carriage). Joan also found some bargains in a store around the corner from the cathedral.

Quebec City is another great place to see on your own. We had planned a walk around the lower town before lunch, an early lunch at a bistro in the antique market, then a tram ride up the mountain to the Plains of Abraham, where we had scheduled a Parks Canada tour of the ramparts. Unfortunately, it was pouring out, so we ended up taking a private guided tour (Joe had with him a coupon for the tour, just in case), then spending most of the rest of our time in the Museum of Civilization. Joe tried to do a lower town walking tour, but got soaked, while Joan stayed comfortably in the museum, two blocks from the ship. Moral: do things on your own, but always have a rainy day plan just in case. BTW, be sure to have some blueberry ice cream from the kiosk near the Chateau Frontenac. Yum!

A similar thing happened to us in Quebec City. We had scheduled an HAL walking tour and the day was so pouring rain that it was impossible to walk. No umbrella was going to suffice with rain that was actually blowing horizonatally. DH went to the excursion desk with our tickets and they looked at him like.......it's a gorgeous day for a 3 hours walking tour; what is wrong with you?

It was outrageous they expected people to go and refused to refund. I'm not talking about a light rain or a drizzle. This was torrential.

We are returning this year for b-to-b's and have booked no tours yet and don't wish to be in that position again.

Sail7, that's yet another reason to do towns in Cananda/New England on your own, as much as possible. Ship's tours that depend on good weather can be a disaster if the ship refuses to cancel. Bus tours are OK, if you like that sort of thing.

I haven't looked at the 11/25/06 Noordam roll call for awhile, but I think you'll be joining us. Am I correct?

Make sure that you are on deck when the ship arrives in Halifax. Don't ask..just be there.

And as others have pointed out, it will rain in Quebec and probably in other places as well. Prepare to get wet. I find that inclement weather stimulates the appetite and thirst. But what doesn't.

Sail7, that's yet another reason to do towns in Cananda/New England on your own, as much as possible. Ship's tours that depend on good weather can be a disaster if the ship refuses to cancel. Bus tours are OK, if you like that sort of thing.

I haven't looked at the 11/25/06 Noordam roll call for awhile, but I think you'll be joining us. Am I correct?

We never left the ship that day. It was disappointing but not worth our getting all aggravated. The excursion desk clearly knew they were wrong but took that position and that was that. The irony was that we were on back to back. The day after Quebec City was the end of the cruise in Montreal.

We stayed aboard for the next cruise and were back in Quebec the day after. It was a magnificent day. We certainly knew we could have suggested/asked/pleaded/begged :) could we join in the walking tour for that day and use the tickets that had been wasted. It wasn't worth it to us to even try.

We took off on our own and had a wonderful day.

:( Don't I WISH we were on the November 25 Noordam cruise, but no, we are not.

Thanks for all the input.....you are all so helpful. I think we'll do a lot of our own walking!

We did the Montreal to New York leg on the Regal Princess. Montreal is a great port to sail from. We were there overnight, so go to wander around old town and the port area which are within walking distance. In Quebec we also walked over to old town and then hiked up to Fairmont Le Chateau. We then spent the afternoon on a bike ride to Montmorency Falls.

Halifax I would recommend seeing the Citadel. Bar Harbor must see is Acadia National Park.

We stayed at the Hotel Nelligan and did the Gray Line City tour before boarding. It was rainy and cold, but a good tour.

In Quebec, we did Montmorency Falls and Island of Orleans, again cold and rainy, but by the time we got to the Falls, the rain and stopped. I liked the tour and information provided.

Charlottetown, the weather had improved, but you never know so we always carried our rain gear, thou we didn't need it. Island Drive and Anne of Green Gables tour was beautiful, very relaxing.

Syndey, again good weather, warm on the docks, so when we reached the Fortress of Luisbourg those that didn't bring a coat where cold. The temp was about 10 degrees cooler, due to the wind of the ocean, but a wonderful time.

The Fortress was definetly the thing to do in Sydney.

Halifax, rained the whole day, went on Historic City Tour, but ever tour was pretty well washed out due to the weather. The worst weather at sea we ever experienced, people got very sick.

Bar Harbor, the weather was perfect, warm and sunny, did the best of both Worlds tour. Our tour guide was the president of the Historical Society and boy did he do a great job.

We booked everything on the HAL website and really never heard any negative complaints, except the weather, but they can't control that.

One last note, we were the first cruise on the Maasdam to have the Chef's Signature Dinner. It will be on all future sailings of the Maasdam and not to be missed, absolutely amazing!

Happy Sailing...

Wolf

We just got back from the Boston to Montreal trip and can't say enough good things about the Maasdam. The weather unfortunately, was atrocious and as thin-blooded Floridians, we find 50's cold. I knew that the hills in Quebec would pose a problem for my husband, and its rep as a beautiful city made it one we really wanted to see. Solution: I booked us lunch at the L'Astral restaurant on the 32nd floor of the Lowe's Hotel. The restaurant has a revolving floor and during the course of our leisurely lunch we saw the entire city, from the comfort and warmth of our window-side table. I'm actually a little afraid of heights, so that first glass of wine went down real quick, but it was a great way to see the city as a whole without the major walking. Then we took a cab back down to the shops that were port side and did a small (and very chilly) bit of walking. I would suggest making the reservation before the trip however, as it seemed like a popular destination.

This is a great cruise.

You can do a walking tour of Montreal on your own. Get the AAA guidebook or similar. It's a good city for exploring on your own, especially if you are going to have a couple of days there. Make sure you visit the Old Montreal section. Also take the Metro, very convenient way to get around. Stop in an outdoor cafe and watch the passersby.

We've done walking tours in Quebec, also. Again, get a guide book at the pier and set out on your own. Make sure you go up the funicular. Go into the Hotel Frontenac. See the Plains of Abraham. If it's raining, watch out on the stairs from the port area to the old city--slippery when wet.

We've rented a car in PEI and in Sydney and have gone out on our own. The Fortress of Louisburg is of historical interest, complete with reinactors. The Bell Museum in Baedaek is also noteworthy, according to reports--we've not done it ourselves.

In Halifax, the Pier 21 Museum is well worth a visit. Pier 21 was Canada's Port of Entry for immigration. We spent half a day there and could have spent more. The Maritime Museum is also interesting. Walk along the boardwalk. On one of our visits, the annual bagpipe festival was going on, much to my delight and my wife's dismay. Walk up the hill to the Citadel. If you have the time and interest, take the tour there. Have one of Alexander Keith's offerings (local beer); very tasty. We've seen Peggy's Cove, but to we New Englanders, it was no big deal.

In Bar Harbor, we've done Ollie's Trollies tour. Quite good. Also in BH, go to Jordan's Restaurant and have the blueberry muffins and/or blueberry pancakes. Their chowder is good, too.

(We've had such a good time, we're spending most of the summer in PEI this year.)

Enjoy.

Where did you rent a car? close to the pier? What rental car company?

I booked a car from alamo and it says it is located in Exibition drive/Shuttle in Charlottetown.

Thanks for any advise

We did NYC-Montreal on Regal Princess Sept 11, 2004. Port of calls were New Port R.I., Boston, Bangor Maine, St.John New Brunswick, Halifax, Saguenay river, Quebec City and Montreal. Last night we stayed on the ship in Montreal. Next morning we took Amtrak to NYC. We did all the tour on our own. We just took a taxi or local touirst bus. There is more waitng than seeing places with cruise oraganized tours.

Where did you rent a car? close to the pier? What rental car company?

I booked a car from alamo and it says it is located in Exibition drive/Shuttle in Charlottetown.

Thanks for any advise

Hertz twice in Sydney. They'll meet you at the pier and take you to their office which is a few miles away. And they will bring you back, of course.

Rented once from Hertz in Charlottetown. Same arrangement.

Another time, rented from National in Charlottetown. They're within walking distance of the pier. Rental return was interesting. Office was locked and there was a note on the door that the attendant had to run an errand, please leave the keys in the mailbox (unsecured and outside) and they'd mail a bill. They did.

Archived