QE2 Anniversary Cruise September 2007

juliecat

I just secured a booking for the 40th anniversary celebration voyage on QE2. Even though it is not until September 2007, all of the single occupancy cabins are already sold out! Is anyone else booked on this trip?

Julia

Not booked on this trip but would have loved to. From what I've seen a lot of this trip has been booked solid so it looks like one of the most popular Cunard trips in ages. This despite the premium prices they were charging. I'll just have to settle for being on the ship for 5 days in the month previously. I wish everyone on the 40th anniversary cruise a wonderful cruise. Long live the Queen!

There is decently priced space available on the West side of the "pond".

Some M4, M1, C3,2,1 and some P Grill. Q Grill available through FIT.

The group space has onboard credit.

Single cabins are all long gone.

We are booked on that cruise and very much looking forward to it. Looked on the internet for some friends and was amazed at how booked up it is. So glad my Husband thought it would be and we booked early. It should be fun sailing round our own country for a change and on such a special occasion

Doug,

Alaska on the Oosterdam was very nice, but not Cunard. I did enjoy the large cabin with balcony, but the ship didn't have the atmosphere of the QE2 and there were very few solo travellers (I was the only person who showed up for the solo travellers party, so I got to know the activities staff quite well and they looked out for me all week). The ship seemed more a form of transportation than a destination in herself. That said, walking on a glacier was fantastic!

Julia

Alaska on the Oosterdam was very nice, but not Cunard.

Glad to hear it was nice, anyway!

I really like HAL, but I am not a huge fan of the Vista-class. Too big, too "ordinary".

Stephen Card and I both like to fantasize about HAL building a new Atlantic liner! One can dream...

Yes we booked it a couple of weeks ago while we were on QE2 for the five nighter. Really looking forward to it.

Hi Colin - That five nighter was quite something - It seemed as if we were on-board for weeks rather than just five nights!

We looked at the 40th Cruise but decided no. Part of the reason is that we did something similar on her 25th, the other is that the ports aren't that impressive. Why would you want to overnight in North Shields (besides it's only an hour from home)? South Queens Ferry is a long way from Edinburgh, Greenock's even further from Glasgow (but you'll know that).

Liverpool is quite good. It's an anchor port (or was the twice I've been there) although the brochure doesn't show it. The tenders take you right into the centre, just across from the Liver Building. There's plenty to see within walking distance.

I hope that you enjoy your trip - she is a fantastic boat.

Malcolm

Want to go just for the atmosphere aboard, to sail round the uk and be part of the History of the QE2. We live within reach of Liverpool and my husband used to sail from there in the 1950's so it should be great.

I'm booked on for the 40th Anniversary, can't wait!!

We did a short cruise on her two years ago and took two days to get to Liverpool which is half an hour drive from my home! however there were tens of thousands of people there to see the ship, we sailed away with "rule Britannia" playing on the decks, there were microlights circling above, hundreds of boats, the television helecopters etc, every port we went to drew crowds of people, it was very emotional. the 40th can only be better!

When we sailed out of Cherbourg, they had similar crowds, brass bands and they let off thousands of balloons, it looked like the Sony Bravia tv advert where all the coloured balls bounce down the hill in San Francisco.

My parents who are travelling with me were less than impressed at the thought of an overnight stay in Newcastle, however if it gets anywhere near the city centre it will be an amazing sight, the geordies (people from Newcastle) are a very proud population (similar to the Liverpudlians and Glaswegians) there is bound to be an amazing reception, it would surprise me if they didn't have fireworks etc.

I just hope nothing happens to her between now and then, I can't imagine them spending huge amounts on her anymore at her current age, having said that they have spent something like ten times her original build cost on refurbs since she was launched, so hopefully i'm wrong.

Anyone on this trip make a note: The Transport Museum in Glasgow (very close to the wonderful city art gallery, which will be reopened by then) has a very extensive maritime section with wonderful models of all the Clyde built ships, especially the Queens, none are as magnificent however as the model of the Mauritania outside the Mauritania restaurant on the QE2 or the £80.000 ($150.000) model of the QM2 in the commodore lounge on the QM2

There seems to be lots of space by the way, the web site is only offering a few cabins at the rear, but when you call them up there are loads available, we booked on Monday this week and I was offered at least 8 different mid ships M1 rooms on 5 deck, another tip: M1 on 4 deck are 141 sq ft, on 5 deck, they are 171 sq ft.

By the way, I have heard that the day we are in Glasgow is the actual anniversary of the launch, pack your ear plugs, there will be lots of bag pipes!! should also be some scrummy "haggis, neeps and tatties"

counting the days...

After your post we are looking forward to it even more. Pity it does not start & finish in Liverpool,sounds like we would both have a shorter journey to join her. Incidentally the direct coach fare down to Southampton has recently gone up about £20 quite a rise in percentage

and that is for this year. Worth it for the ease of travel. Looking forward to it----but have got one this year as well so will enjoy that as well. Lucky me

Is it legal to say these things on this board? Shall I report the post? <G>

Karie,

Who has not had any of these things....she thinks

Oh, I'm sure you've had tatties (potatoes) and probably neeps (turnips or more properly Swedish Turnips, or Rutabega - whatever the name it's the orange one not the white one)

Regards, Colin.

I too am going on QE2's 40th anniversary cruise. I live in Northern Ireland, and am really disappointed that she will not call here on this trip. She never has even though lots of other cruise ships do. We are part of Britain too, something Cunard seems to forget when planning their round Britain trips!! It would be my dream to sail into Belfast onboard, but I'm sure it will be a wonderful trip anyway, and I'm going on her on the 3rd of July this year, so I haven't long to wait.

Liverpool is quite good. It's an anchor port (or was the twice I've been there) although the brochure doesn't show it. The tenders take you right into the centre, just across from the Liver Building. There's plenty to see within walking distance.

I hope that you enjoy your trip - she is a fantastic boat.

Malcolm

I wonder if this is due to the planned cruise liner terminal at Liverpool, due to open in 2007? Liverpool is a rapidly changing and regenerating city. After many years of decline, European Capital of Culture 2008 status has provided the impetus to drive forward huge improvements and developments. The city is currently suffering 'the Big Dig'; enormous disruption to major road routes as access and city centre links are improved. Property prices have gone through the roof (at last) and we're getting a Harvey Nicks, Selfridges etc and already have a new Metro centre with Armani, Boss and a host of other direct designer outlets.

The waterfront is changing beyond recognition with a multi storey Radisson hotel, apartment blocks and other new buildings dominating (or blending) with the familiar '3 Graces' the Liver building, Custom House and the Cunard building.

Liverpool is planning to become a major cruise port again, with major operators allegedly planning to use Liverpool as the start and end point for cruises. There was an unsuccesful bid to hold the Victoria naming ceremony in Liverpool, given the longstanding association between the city and Cunard. Sadly, Southampton won.

So hopefully by later next year, Liverpool will no longer need to be a tender port.

And just to endorse Malcom's (pnhmrk) post above, there certainly is loads to do and see within easy walking distance of the ship. Maritime museum, Albert Dock (with Tate Art Gallery and the Beatles Museum) Magical Mystery Tour bus (Beatle themed of course!) open top bus tour of major city sights, shops, Churchill's underground WW2 command centre, Liver building (splendid inside as well as out and if you pre arrange you can go right to the top, see the workings of the famous Liver clocks etc).

Nearer the date, if anyone's interested, I'd be happy to send tourist stuff to help you plan. I work in a waterfront building and have easy access to the tourist information office. And yes, thousands will turn out to see her come and go and it'll be memorable. Enjoy!icon7.gif

I rather wondered if Liverpool's regeneration was the reason it is not down as a tender port. I have so many happy memories of Liverpool right back to going on the overhead railway!! We have even had two holidays there as there is so much to see & do. Looking forward to 2007

I wonder if this is due to the planned cruise liner terminal at Liverpool, due to open in 2007?

That will make a big difference. The tendering process takes up at least an hour of your time in port. I just hope that the new cruise terminal is still in the centre so that you don't need to bother with taxis or shuttle busses to get anywhere.

Archived